Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMD004 View Post
And there are no uneducated hicks in Pennsylvania..
Nope. They're all relocating to Scranton and becoming latte-sipping militant hippie metrosexuals!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 PM

73 posts, read 174,416 times
It would be a very long hard fought battle, also it wouldnt be as easy as the original civil war because instead of a simple line dividing the states, you got clusters of red & blue states throughout the nation, now for my pick, blue states outnumber the red states heavily in population, but...red states and regions seem to have more military bases than blue states (not that all blue states are underdefended of anything), therefore, barring a red state or blue state succession from the US, I believe the red states would be victorios because of their many military installations loaded with weapons

Old 02-24-2009, 10:09 PM

73 posts, read 174,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Nope. They're all relocating to Scranton and becoming latte-sipping militant hippie metrosexuals!
disturbing...

Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazmlp View Post
disturbing...
Isn't it though?! If I get my way Scranton will be the NEW Ithaca (Insert conniving Dr. Evil pinky-laugh here!)

Old 02-24-2009, 10:20 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Well, good luck with the Ithaca thing, ScranBarre, but I do think that the presence of a major university has a little something to do with the character of Ithaca.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Well, good luck with the Ithaca thing, ScranBarre, but I do think that the presence of a major university has a little something to do with the character of Ithaca.
Commonwealth Medical College (growing) + University of Scranton (growing) + Lackawanna College (growing) = A fighting chance in hell to evolve into a pseudo-Ithaca someday!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 PM

Maybe you need to use Ithaca as a model only very loosely. Aim to make Scranton its own unique place. It does seem to have the potential to be a nice clean, economically healthy, vibrant small city. And it's located in a naturally beautiful area. Getting there would take a lot of work, but I would definitely agree that the potential is there.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazmlp View Post
It would be a very long hard fought battle, also it wouldnt be as easy as the original civil war because instead of a simple line dividing the states, you got clusters of red & blue states throughout the nation, now for my pick, blue states outnumber the red states heavily in population, but...red states and regions seem to have more military bases than blue states (not that all blue states are underdefended of anything), therefore, barring a red state or blue state succession from the US, I believe the red states would be victorios because of their many military installations loaded with weapons
Very good point about the "clusters of red & blue." Also a good analysis of the same idea by South-to-West back in post 74. Which leads to a sobering thought that has been concerning me for a number of years, namely, that instead of seeing a neat split into two zones we could devolve into something like the Middle East, with various groups of people who hate each other sharing the same land, and continually causing turmoil and committing random acts of violence. There has been some ugly stereotyping on this thread, but also a lot of joking around. To get serious, though, I'm really concerned about where this red-blue thing may be headed. Considering that these seem to be two fundamentally different, pretty much mutually exclusive, philosophies, I can't figure out where there's room for compromise. Hate to end the evening on a downer, but maybe we can view this more as a call to any geniuses in macro-scale social relations out there to give some serious thought to how we get out of this acrimonious dichotomy in which this country seems tangled at present.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Simple. The Chinese.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 PM

47 posts, read 95,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Scranton, Pennsylvania.. an absolute jerkwater of a town. I mean, that place is a HELL HOLE. It's the absolute worst place... ON EARTH!

lol.. have you seen that Saturday Night Live skit about the vice presidential speech? The guy playing Joe Biden says that in the skit incase you were wondering lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates