Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:08 PM

9 posts, read 20,327 times

Advertisements

What do You Think of Catholic Priests? Father Alberto Cutie was caught on a Florida beach exhibiting what he felt under his robe, are catholic priests villified or should they be allowed to marry to avoid such embarrasing events and more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
There is already a thread on this topic.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
About the same as I do about schoolteachers;entertainers that do the same. All are humans basically. I don't see what the right to marriage has done for those others;its done for a different reason; same as any toher prverstions from traditional sex.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debt analyst View Post
What do You Think of Catholic Priests? Father Alberto Cutie was caught on a Florida beach exhibiting what he felt under his robe, are catholic priests villified or should they be allowed to marry to avoid such embarrasing events and more?
I think the Catholic imposed celibacy for priests and nuns needs to be done away with ... The Bible does not require pastors and other spiritual leaders to practice celibacy and it is unrealistic for many.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:26 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,255 times
I think the Catholic Church is a pseudo-political organization and should be treated as one. Their goals are the accumulation of power and wealth and the preaching for the souls is a fraud against those not educated enough to see the lie.
What I think of the priest would fall under the study of the individual. In Ireland I would see 40% who I would want to see in jail, and I am not sure of the rest. Those that covered up the child abuse need to join them in jail and that in my view included the Pope.

I am sure there are some who are good people, Mother Teresa comes to mind, but than again, I now read she was Agnostic in her personal view.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I think the Catholic Church is a pseudo-political organization and should be treated as one. Their goals are the accumulation of power and wealth and the preaching for the souls is a fraud against those not educated enough to see the lie.
What I think of the priest would fall under the study of the individual. In Ireland I would see 40% who I would want to see in jail, and I am not sure of the rest. Those that covered up the child abuse need to join them in jail and that in my view included the Pope.

I am sure there are some who are good people, Mother Teresa comes to mind, but than again, I now read she was Agnostic in her personal view.
what about the educated catholics? as far as mother theresa being agnostic, good thing she wasn't the only good catholic, eh?

too many generalizations here.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:57 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
too many generalizations here.
Yep. As usual. Although I fall prey at times, I try to avoid it. I certainly understand the damage it does, the logical flaw in any argument that employs it, and the built-in-flaw for any question that employs it.

It makes just as much sense to ask, 'what do you think of people whose weight range is between 160 and 180 pounds? Father Alberto Cutie was caught on a Florida beach exhibiting what he felt under his robe...'

The question should have been, 'what do you think of Father Alberto Cutie?'

Individuals are INDIVIDUALS.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
I work with Catholic priests on a regular basis.

Some are cool, some are jerks.

You might almost say that they're like anyone else except that they're priests.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:13 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
About the same as I do about schoolteachers;entertainers that do the same. All are humans basically. I don't see what the right to marriage has done for those others;its done for a different reason; same as any toher prverstions from traditional sex.
I went to Catholic school from K-4 grade but....I consider myself Christian although I'm not very religious.

It's not just that they can't marry...they can't be involved in any kind of a relationship. Since they consider sex to be only for reproduction, a priest can't have any sex at all technically (including masturbation). They're suppose to remain chaste for god. Add to that the fact that they have to listen to people give confession on a weekly basis....can you just imagine the things they have to hear sometimes when doing so....people go into detail while in confession, that's what it's for.

One of the reasons children are often the target of sex abuse, is because they're vulnerable and can easily be manipulated (especially by an authority figure). In the Catholic religion, young boys help the priests perform mass as alter boys, which is why the victims are always boys.

As you said, they're all humans but, the others don't have to (or try to) live up to the requirements the church expects of priests.....how many people can really remain non-sexual their entire life like that.....that's crazy...they should be allowed to marry. Since it's about them not being allowed to be sexual at all, if they were allowed to have sex, then it definitely could only be within a marriage so, that's why being allowed to marry would make a difference for them.....they'd be able to have sex.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:05 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
People who are into having power over the powerless are drawn to jobs where they can exhibit and enforce that power under an acceptable cloak of spiritual comfort, education, and/or superiority. So while some priests/cops/teachers/scout leaders are happy, healthy, sharing their knowledge and disciplines to help others, others join such organizations solely to inflict that power over others - especially the least powerful, the children.

Mother Teresa was an essentially practical soul who knew what should be, needed to be, done - and was often at odds with her church because she wouldn't play the power games they demanded to run their bureaucracy. Most organizations that start out starry-eyed and happy, wanting to save others, end up with cynical people at the top, who run the organization for their own self-promotion and aggrandizement. They base their decisions on what is politically most expedient to gain them the money and power they feel they need to expand not only the burgeoning bureaucracy, but their own self-interests. It's why a communal anything rarely works - because those who do things solely for the community start feeling put-upon and endlessly giving without receiving, endlessly supportive to the endlessly needy. They either suffer burnout and walk away or they decide to take control and enforce power. You see it in nurses, social workers, The Red Cross, church organizations, civic and even social organizations... "The poor are always with you" because they are told that they are poor and because the organizations that will help them never end, never stop, and are set up to be perpetual and bring still more poor people into their folds. It isn't just the Catholic church, although they are a convenient scapegoat because they are so large and have been around so long. It's most social service organizations. Giving a man a fish a day doesn't teach the man to fish - but is an excellent employment for those who seek the personal and permanent power over the man and the fish distribution...

As for marriage of priests; it won't cure their need for power, although it might in a few cases give them an acceptable sexual outlet for the need. But pedophiles can be married, have children, and still practice their power-enforcement and cravings on not only their children but on others'... like rape,it isn't about sex, it is about power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates