Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner guy View Post
If you work for a DoD contractor then you are not a federal bureaucrat. Your outfit is one step removed from the vast federal bureaucratic wasteland—and most likely not a stellar example of workplace efficiency. Does your company work on cost-plus contracts or firm-fixed-price contracts? If you are in the DoD business, I would guess cost-plus. Because with firm-fixed-price contracts there would be no place to hide the fraud, waste and abuse. Now get back to work.

Ahhhh I get it now. You must be a disgruntled contractor, or know a disgruntled contractor.

No sir, I am a bonafide federal employee, and proud of it. And before you tell me to get back to work, I suggest you get a job. Then perhaps the envy you feel will go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
It would be whining if I was asking for a free-ride for myself. I’m not. I just think that lazy, worthless federal bureaucrats who aren’t really doing much to earn their salaries should be given their walking papers. Don't you agree?

What is so smart about collecting a paycheck for 30 years while contributing very little of value in return? Smart, no. Pathetic, yes.

True, but the civil servants who actually worked during their years of collecting a gov't paycheck are in the minority. They are a scarce breed.

This isn’t about me--I'm doing quite well, thank you. It’s about the lazy, worthless federal bureaucrats who feel they are entitled to a free ride for life. Besides, if I wanted a cushy gov’t job where I didn’t have to work, I would get one. Of course I would need to make some changes to fit in to the culture. I would start by changing my wardrobe. I would buy a closet full of cheap polyester suits, clip-on ties, and short sleeved, colored dress shirts.

Are you talking about soldiers? Of course we need these fine citizens to protect our country. They are men and women of action: About as far from lazy bureaucrats as you can get. In fact, I think we should do more for our brave soldiers, in view of their contributions. If we fired a bunch of the lazy, worthless federal bureaucrats that populate our gov't, then we would have more money in the gov’t coffers to increase the pay of brave soldiers who protect our country.

And when I say brave soldiers I mean “real” soldiers who are marching around the desert protecting our nation—not the desk jockeys sitting state-side fat and happy who’ve spent their entire careers pushing papers without ever putting themselves in the line of fire, or even so much as catching a glimpse of the enemies they are supposed to protect us from. Those types are no better than the lazy federal bureaucrats I mentioned above.

How is it sour grapes to ask that someone either pull their weight or hit the road? This seems fair to me.

WOW. Feel better ? Thanks for the laugh !

Old 05-19-2009, 12:30 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Govt workers should not be immune from layoffs

They are not. I know teachers and librarians being furloughed and canned.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Govt workers should not be immune from layoffs

They are not. I know teachers and librarians being furloughed and canned.
Midwestern guy is talking about lazy good for nothing federal workers, not librarians or teachers.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:

Firing one-third of the lazy, worthless govt bureaucrats would not be an all-healing panacea. But it would be a step in the right direction.

I tell you what--go find both of the lazy, worthless government workers, let me know who and where they are, and I'll fire both of them.

Can you name two?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I see the same jealousy in many threads in this forum. The evil rich guy, the guy who gets paid more than I do but, doesn't deserve it because he doesn' have to work as hard as I do.
You nailed it right on the head. Either that, or disgruntled for getting caught doing the same thing that he's whining about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
They also start at a much lower pay than private business. It is all about balance. That is what is good about America. You have choices. It is your responsability to do what is best for you and your family.
Good point. I know a lot of people who retire or quit the federal government and get a job as a contractor. They make a lot more money. I also know and live around a lot of State workers whose benefits, salaries and retirement plans are better than federal.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
You nailed it right on the head. Either that, or disgruntled for getting caught doing the same thing that he's whining about.
Government work. My wife working in pubic safety. 100% disabled at work...a criminal threw a baby at her...she saved the baby...but she was severely and permanently injured. Salary before injury $70,000. Retirement after injury $33,000. Fair?

Me, working as a police officer. Injured on duty...broken back...retirment? After 3 years in court, I finally received a retirement. Salary before? $35,000 Retirement after $12,000. (this was in 1978.)

...oh and by the way, no medical for either one of us.

Thank God for the private sector. The work is easier, you get paid more, you get more respect.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:52 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Oh, you know.......

I work for the government, not the federal government, and I hear the same whiny crap. I'll go down the same path I went down on another section of C-D. I'm not claiming that every person that works for the federal government or state or county or local is on the up and up. The reality is, your behind is lazy. It really, really is.

A good portion of those that work for the government look at the laws that are about to be passed and think to ourselves, "the ramifications of this will be so detrimental" but do you bother to educate yourself?
Noooooooooooooo. Do you look at the history of any given law or its implications for the future? Noooooooooo.

Yet, the only real thing that you can come up with is what type of suits they wear? Are you quite sure that you did not mean to post this in the fashion area?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Government work. My wife working in pubic safety. 100% disabled at work...a criminal threw a baby at her...she saved the baby...but she was severely and permanently injured. Salary before injury $70,000. Retirement after injury $33,000. Fair?

Me, working as a police officer. Injured on duty...broken back...retirment? After 3 years in court, I finally received a retirement. Salary before? $35,000 Retirement after $12,000. (this was in 1978.)

...oh and by the way, no medical for either one of us.

Thank God for the private sector. The work is easier, you get paid more, you get more respect.

Sir,

I understand where you're coming from. My friend is a city police officer, and he tore the ligaments and cartilage in his knee trying to fend off a crazy jerk resisting arrest. It took him six weeks for his insurance to approve him to have surgery. Thanks for your service as a police officer. I hope things work out for you and your wife.

People think the grass is always greener... it can be greener for certain people working in various industries and/or federal government. I have seen waste and abuse from people where I work. But for the most part, people are proud to be working for the Department of Defense doing what we can to protect out nation. Ignorant people who lump everyone together will never appreciate that or anything else.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Sir,

I understand where you're coming from. My friend is a city police officer, and he tore the ligaments and cartilage in his knee trying to fend off a crazy jerk resisting arrest. It took him six weeks for his insurance to approve him to have surgery. Thanks for your service as a police officer. I hope things work out for you and your wife.

People think the grass is always greener... it can be greener for certain people working in various industries and/or federal government. I have seen waste and abuse from people where I work. But for the most part, people are proud to be working for the Department of Defense doing what we can to protect out nation. Ignorant people who lump everyone together will never appreciate that or anything else.
Like I said earlier, "Thank God for the private sector." Without a job working for private industry, I would have been destitute. As a result of that job (or, rather, those series of jobs), I was able to pay off my house, pay for my kids schooling, have ZERO debts, and retrire when I turned 53. (yep! Private industry earnings paid for all of that!). I now live quite comfortably on a retirment income of $106,000 per year, with a planned inflation index of 3%. --ALL from private industry--except for the $18,000 I now get from the police dept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates