Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 09:14 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times

Advertisements

I had a job once that started out at $78.00 a month after about 2 1/2 years I was bumped up to $104.00 a month.

But it did have a paid 30 day vacation.

Free room and board and free medical.

Free world travel..I did get to visit three other countries..

ahaaaa the good old army life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 10:23 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I bring this up because I believe a good amount of people would do something else, even illegal to try to make money instead.

You know, the belief that your above a certain wage, even if you need the money.

What would you do?
Well, if the things this administration wants to do happens, I think drug dealers will switch to selling soda, cheetos, twinkies and butter out on the street corner and from the trunks of their vehicles. So, I'm thinking until the law catches up, regular people who need cash can make some money selling food items so users/regular people can trick/get around the supermarket card database that will be probably matched to the National healthcare database to identify the bad eaters who must be punished. Who knows, poor ordinary housewives might make a bundle selling forbidden cookies and cakes from their home ovens. Middle class homes may turn into the heinous sugar labs. Mexicans may smuggle snack food over the border. I have no cooking/baking talent so alas, I will have to do deliveries for the junk food dealers if I need money.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:34 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Of course I would. I would probably work for food if I had to.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:49 AM

6 posts, read 8,066 times
I've actually been faced with this problem. I could take a low-paying job and then try to figure out how to get myself out of the hole -- like, what, look for a better job? But I decided to just employ myself. I'm creative, smart, resourceful. I thought - hey, if I'm going to work for peanuts, I might as well work for myself. At least then I have a little control over my future. Worked out great -- I was self-employed for 4 years, made enough money to get by, learned a lot, etc.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
And THAT is the difference between those who succeed and those who don't. It's the willingness to do what has to be done, rather than sit and make excuses.
Ah, not that isn't the difference.

There are folks who spend all of their working lives doing what they got to do and never succeed and there are folks who don't do a damned thing of worth that succeed all the time.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I agree, I'm just saying I think a lot more people then you think would rather do something illegal because they feel the job is beneath them.
Or because it pays better, it's the capitalist way.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I don't think anybody knows what they would do if they were "desperate". Most people here have never been in a situation in which they were truly desperate. Desperate people are the 16-year olds who flush newborn babies down toilets at the bus station. Most of you don't know what it's like to be desperate. A desperate situation is one that money probably won't fix.

You can bum more than $5 an hour by panhandling. You can give BJs for $20 a pop, and make as much in 30 seconds as pushing a lawnmower all afternoon in the hot sun. If you're desperate for money. Working an hour for $5 is wasting an hour of your life when you could be making more than $5.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-18-2009 at 03:01 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 04:36 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, if the things this administration wants to do happens, I think drug dealers will switch to selling soda, cheetos, twinkies and butter out on the street corner and from the trunks of their vehicles. So, I'm thinking until the law catches up, regular people who need cash can make some money selling food items so users/regular people can trick/get around the supermarket card database that will be probably matched to the National healthcare database to identify the bad eaters who must be punished. Who knows, poor ordinary housewives might make a bundle selling forbidden cookies and cakes from their home ovens. Middle class homes may turn into the heinous sugar labs. Mexicans may smuggle snack food over the border. I have no cooking/baking talent so alas, I will have to do deliveries for the junk food dealers if I need money.
LOL! The sweet black market eh?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:31 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't think anybody knows what they would do if they were "desperate". Most people here have never been in a situation in which they were truly desperate. Desperate people are the 16-year olds who flush newborn babies down toilets at the bus station. Most of you don't know what it's like to be desperate. A desperate situation is one that money probably won't fix.

You can bum more than $5 an hour by panhandling. You can give BJs for $20 a pop, and make as much in 30 seconds as pushing a lawnmower all afternoon in the hot sun. If you're desperate for money. Working an hour for $5 is wasting an hour of your life when you could be making more than $5.

I think it's a balance between what you are willing to do, and what you are willing to work for. I won't kill, injure or cheat anyone for money. I won't have sex with anyone for money. If all I can make is $5 without doing those things, I'm ok with it. I would consider doing the things I just listed as wasting more than just an hour of my life.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:43 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I'd work it, of course. I might not work as hard as I could, but I wouldn't just slack off either. The idea that anybody is worth a certain income without the skills to justify it is bogus. Do something illegal for better cash and you'll end up working in a prison shop for a dollar a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates