Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:17 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoucare? View Post
All through college Professors has told the class if anybody uses wikipedia for a source the paper will automatically fail, I dont care if its the best paper you ever wrote. I myself has read some false information on wiki
That's why you start at wikipedia and investigate the links from there. You don't use wikipedia for a reference.

Yes, there are some dead links. but there are dead links in google too. Just keep trying until you find something substantial.

Personally, I'd never go back to spending ten hours thumbing through a set of encyclopedias or wandering through a library when I can find what I need on the net in five minutes. Welcome the information age. Now, if the technology failed, I could certainly go back to the old way. But not until then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 07:24 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Its really sad that actual encyclopedia publications are losing money people so many people are so trusting and ignorant that they will buy into anythng referenced on a wikipedia article that has some link to so some blog or editorial that claims to back it up.
I'm not talking about blogs or personal homepages. I'm talking about links to online scientific journals or linguistics pages maintained by universities. Why is an online linguistics publication any less valuable than the equivalent $100 textbook at the university bookstore? It contains the same info.

Besides, why are you so willing to believe everything that is in print in a book? That can be biased or false as easily as something written on the web. An Enquirer quality publication can be printed on paper or online. The only difference is that more trees are killed when it's printed on paper. It's the same content.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:16 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm not talking about blogs or personal homepages. I'm talking about links to online scientific journals or linguistics pages maintained by universities. Why is an online linguistics publication any less valuable than the equivalent $100 textbook at the university bookstore? It contains the same info.
Sometimes, but that is not the case for the majority of material on Wiki. hard sciences, maybe. Debated sciences, no. History, even worst. Government, politicals, and issues of definition, almost always not.

Quote:
Besides, why are you so willing to believe everything that is in print in a book? That can be biased or false as easily as something written on the web. An Enquirer quality publication can be printed on paper or online. The only difference is that more trees are killed when it's printed on paper. It's the same content.
True, but I am old school in that I trust academic scholarly developed information rather than pop cultured information.

Scholarly research is more immune (though not perfect) to personal agendas, self glamorizing, lawsuit threats and vandals. Plus, its been the main source of knowledge for the past 10,000 years of human existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates