Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:36 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, God never told you to do that. Men that taught you, as a small naive child, to fear them, told you that God said that. That, like everything else you have been told by the rich and powerful and ermine-clad, was a lie intended to serve their interests. You were duped. Take care of your kids anyway, thougn.
Don't know what is in your Bible, but mine reads differantly. I also have the Book of Mormon to back up the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Don't know what is in your Bible, but mine reads differantly. I also have the Book of Mormon to back up the Bible.
My Bible says the same thing yours does. It was written by men who had an interest in telling me to fear them and their God, so they could control me. When men tell you to fear something, suspect their motives.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
My Bible says the same thing yours does. It was written by men who had an interest in telling me to fear them and their God, so they could control me. When men tell you to fear something, suspect their motives.
Mine tells me how to live a good life. People that see the Bible as having something to fear chances are not living as they should anyway. If you see what is written in the scriptures as hard to follow then your not living the kind of life I want to live anyway. If the Bible is correct then so many things that people are doing are just wrong. If the Bible is correct same sex attraction is a sin. If the Bible is correct over indulging in alcoholic beverages is wrong. If the Bible is correct then sleeping with someone other than your Spouse is wrong. We could go on and on at this point. If you are not doing any of the things that the Bible says are wrong then chances are you have nothing to fear.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Mine tells me how to live a good life..
So how does your bible guide you through whether to let your kid ride his bike around the block or not? Or whether to exchange a comment with a stranger in the supermarket? Or whether we need to require passports to visit Canada? Or whether to talk on the telephone during a thunderstorm?

Wouldn't common sense be easier to "look up" than to search through the bible and sort out a lot of different scriptural passage, some of which seem contradictory, or just rely on a few of your favorite ones, and try to figure out how to apply flat-world edicts to a round planet?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
So how does your bible guide you through whether to let your kid ride his bike around the block or not? Or whether to exchange a comment with a stranger in the supermarket? Or whether we need to require passports to visit Canada? Or whether to talk on the telephone during a thunderstorm?
Why would it have to tell me any of those things? For some of us we can think on our own. The things you are talking about are not spititual in nature but more day to day kind of questions. I do think that it is funny that we refrain from speaking to people in public. Why is that? I talk to people all the time that I don't know. My kids can ride the bikes around the block if they want to. Why should that scare me?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Why would it have to tell me any of those things? For some of us we can think on our own. The things you are talking about are not spititual in nature but more day to day kind of questions. I do think that it is funny that we refrain from speaking to people in public. Why is that? I talk to people all the time that I don't know. My kids can ride the bikes around the block if they want to. Why should that scare me?
Thank you for clarifying that biblical guidance and belief in God do not have, after all, any relevance to the OP, namely, reasons why people exhibit so much fear in our present society. Was it you that brought God into the discussion? Ah, yes. Post 34. That's OK, I go off on tangents myself sometimes.

I'm glad you do not cower under such fears. Many people do, and the purpose of this discussion is to try to determine why.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:13 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
No, Yes, and No. But it's 2009 and my answers are the same right now. I never lock myself in the house any time of day, and I usually don't lock it when I go out. My car keys are out there in the cupholder right now. And I have never known a person who has lived on a street where there was ever a drive by.
Don't move to Houston or any area next to it... Leave your door unlocked here and go out and chances are you may not have anything left when you get back home...

You live in Victoria....you will have to trust me on this one..

And I have family living in Victoria so I do know the difference between there and here...

And Yes we have been the victim of more than one crime....

Now I keep loaded guns around...

And I think you have fear confused with one watching ones own back....

Last edited by Houston3; 08-08-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 03:45 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
This is very interesting. A century ago, the average family in the US lost at least one child. I don't mean stillborn---I mean a growing, prospering, flourishing child just died. Guess what? People didn't "lose it". They coped with it and got on with their lives. You wouldn't "lose it" either.

You've replaced expectation of tragedy with fear of tragedy. But is it any more comforting?
I don't think that's true. My grandfather's sister was kicked by a mule in in the early part of last century, and he has said many times that it absolutely devastated their entire family.

I lost my first child, and while my husband and I are tough cookies, it left us completely bereft for a very long time. Had she survived, she would have been fifteen two days ago. Both of us still get pretty choked up thinking about it even after all these years.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:05 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,048 times
Quote:
No, God never told you to do that. Men that taught you, as a small naive child, to fear them, told you that God said that. That, like everything else you have been told by the rich and powerful and ermine-clad, was a lie intended to serve their interests. You were duped. Take care of your kids anyway, thougn.
Hmmm.... where did you get your information and how do you know it is correct?

On topic: What am I afraid of? Not much, personally. Like jtur88, I don't lock my house, leave keys in the car, etc. Grew up that way; can't seem to change. I have seen people come to my house, which is in a subdivision, and lock their cars when they come into the house. WTF? There is nobody out here who wants your car! Maybe it's just force of habit, I don't know.

I'm not a church-going person (but may change that soon) but if you believe that your needs (not wants!) will be met by God, there isn't much to fear. Except snakes. I forgot snakes.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:09 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,048 times
Regarding loss of a child:

My wife's grandmother lost two of her children when they were quite young and buried another as an adult. She went on.

Her granddaughter (wife's sister) lost her oldest son at age 20 in a motorcycle crash of his own fault.

It destroyed her life or, I should say, she let it. She's now a worthless prescription drug-addicted drag on society, partially because there are so many welfare programs she could abuse to obtain the money necessary to fuel her drug habit and not have to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates