Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
Is that really what women want to do with their bodies?

It is called survival. Most females get into this trade because they need to eat and put a roof over their heads, and often to feed their drug habit.
Most females get into this profession because it is much more remunerative then telemarketing, not to mention being more moral than telemarketing.

A woman in telemarketing disturbs people who don't want to be disturbed, misrepresents the value of what is being offered, often knows that her employer is engaged in shady and deceptive practices, and that her clients cannot afford to buy what she is selling and will almost certainly have buyers remorse. What makes that more moral than prostitution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 02:30 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,975 times
"Nah. Slavery was perfectly acceptable 200 years ago in this country. I fail to see how culture has devolved in opposing it. Many upright, moral, god-fearing men of that era owned slaves. "

REPLY: It was part of the culture 200 years ago and in biblical times, however, The Bible lists strict mandates on how Masters should treat their Slaves and how Slaves were to view their Masters
"Bigamy wasn't frowned upon in all parts of the bible. Some of God's favorites had multiple wives. CURRENT shifts in morals and values (say the last thousand years or so) have made this practice "bad". Frankly, a perfect example. "

REPLY: The precedence was set at the Creation of Mankind with ONE man being wed to ONE woman for a lifetime ; that was Gods ideal . God allows freewill choice on many matters , only some are to our detriment with consequences . Current shifts in HOW PEOPLE VIEW morals and values is whats made american society bad --- an exchange of God and his protective moral mandates , for, unbridled nihlism and hedonism (especially the sexual kind) .

"I'm sure we share many of the same moral convictions,"

REPLY: We may, but one cannot JUSTIFY living morally apart from a Creator who prescribed them on the Soul of every human being.

"we perhaps differ upon how to enforce them on others"

REPLY: Apart from Totalarianism , you cant enforce morals on another ; all you can do is hope people will see the devastation that comes into their lives when they get far from God and see their need to be restored to him . I do think that Singapore for example has things under control morally , but can you imagine the outcry if its punishment system were brought to America ?! Why...people would shout :'Hey wait a minute...we're ENTITLED to live anyway we want ; we have the LIBERTY to do so regardless at the cost' .

Old 08-21-2009, 02:35 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times
Dr. Jocelyn Elders was surgeon general until President. Clinton fired her for supporting masturbation. Elders called for prostitution to be decriminalized. Dr. Elders has also said: "We say that [hookers] are selling their bodies, but how is that different from athletes? They're selling their bodies. Models? They're selling their bodies. Actors? They're selling their bodies."

As long as prostitution is kept illegal, and women are persecuted for acts which harm no one, prostitute women will be subject to brutality at the hands of misogynists and moralists -- they are, arguably, the same group. And when prostitutes are treated as second class citizens, and in extreme cases, as less than human, then all women who dare to step out of their social constructs will be labeled as whores and treated accordingly. For these reasons, the rights of all women are contingent upon the rights accorded to the most vulnerable women. - From Dr. Jocelyn Elders: March 1997 International Prostitution Conference

So why shouldnt we make it legal and a "real" job ..yanno.. taxes ect?

Old 08-21-2009, 02:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,975 times
'Dr. Jocelyn Elders was surgeon general until President. Clinton fired her for supporting masturbation.'

REPLY: ...lol... Now thats the Kettle calling the Pot black ! (Lewinski scandal).

' Elders called for prostitution to be decriminalized. Dr. Elders has also said: "We say that [hookers] are selling their bodies, but how is that different from athletes? They're selling their bodies. Models? They're selling their bodies. Actors? They're selling their bodies."

REPLY: She was as morally corrupt as Dr. Alfred Kinsey was in the 1950's and 1960's.

'As long as prostitution is kept illegal, and women are persecuted for acts which harm no one, prostitute women will be subject to brutality at the hands of misogynists and moralists -- they are, arguably, the same group. And when prostitutes are treated as second class citizens, and in extreme cases, as less than human, then all women who dare to step out of their social constructs will be labeled as whores and treated accordingly. For these reasons, the rights of all women are contingent upon the rights accorded to the most vulnerable women. - From Dr. Jocelyn Elders:'
March 1997 International Prostitution Conference
'
REPLY: She obviously doesnt have any self respect or genuine concern for womens dignity . What a poor role model for women in general.

'So why shouldnt we make it legal and a "real" job ..yanno.. taxes ect'

REPLY: Because it brings ruin to the Prostitute , the people who visit them, to the innocent wives and families , and makes America more of a sewer than it already is.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:56 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
RV Lover,

Please ponder the following:

1. Not everyone shares your definition of morality. Not everyone is an evangelical Christian. My problem with people who are always screaming "morality" is simple. Morality is different than legality. I can always go to the state code books and look up what the law is. With morality, its different we have to rely on your opinion and that of others. When two of us disagree about what morality is you aren't automatically right while I am automatically wrong. Rather, we have a dispute.

What if I think big game hunting is immoral because of the pain animals that are shot with guns are subjected too? Or, what if I think its immoral to fight a war Iraq that I disagree with? These are things that are happening today and I can't stop them.

2. Prostitution will exist whether you pass a law against it or not. It always has existed, no one has ever explained how and when it will no longer exist.

3. Under the status quo, dangers exist for all parties participating in prostitution. The prostitute may be beaten or raped. She may be abused by others seeking to control her and sell her services. Her customer is in danger too. Many customers have been robbed and mistreated.

4. If a system if licensing were in place, it would be possible to (a) inspect prostitutes for sexually transmitted disease. It could be treated in many cases. We could prevent its spread to many other people. This not only benefits the parties involved, but would likely benefit innocent wives who do not know that their husband is engaged in this behavior. Are you against preventing the spread of STD's to innocent people? (b) discourage drug abuse and drug users. Such people could be denied a license to work in this occupation. (c) prevent robbery and physical violence to the prostitute and her customers. This would occur because all prostitutes would work in a facility subject to licensing and inspection. (d) Collect taxes. Because of the illegal nature of this occupation, the prostitute seldom pays income tax. There is no reason why we should subsidize her. Let her work and pay taxes on her earnings like everyone else.

I think there are valid objections to legalizing prostitution. However, if the only objection one can make is "I think that would be immoral" its terribly unconvincing to me.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:59 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times
yanno todays world women do things lots of folks deem immoral its a personal choice IMHO anyways . she has to live with herself first off and trust me the choice of $2.10 hour for slinging hash or spending a few hours being compliant and sweet as a ***** and mak'n $300 plus .. guess what most women would do? so make it legal give them a safety net ( lience/safe work enviroment/ union/medical ) I see no problem and yup lots of women would do that

Old 08-21-2009, 06:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It is already legal in the brothels rights outside of city limits. Since it is regulated, I do not have a problem with them being there.
It is 60 miles away - in another county.

Not "right outside the city limits"

Old 08-21-2009, 06:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Are there any women who engage in prostitution because they really want to?
Yes - Many

Old 08-21-2009, 07:40 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It is 60 miles away - in another county.

Not "right outside the city limits"
Big deal, it is an hour away. It is close enough to Vegas that I mentioned it.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Our society has already advanced to the point where informal prostitution takes place all the time, but it simply isn't called that. But it could be semi-formalized with certain understiandngs.

Let's say a guy hits on a woman, who immediately identifies herself, if she wishes to accept, as a quasi-prostitute. The date goes proceeds pretty much like any other first date. But there is an understanding that money will be exchanged if it proceeds to a sexual climax. The couple goes out for a nice dinner, show, dancing, whatever, all on the man's plastic, just like any other date, and talk about whatever couples talk about, and get to know each other. At any point along the way, the man can terminate the evening, if it is felt unsuitable, with a cancellation fee, or restocking charge, payable to the woman. If everything goes according to plan, the end of the evening results in payment of the negotiated fee for services rendered.

The only way that differs from current dating practices is that the total cost to the man is a little bit higher, and in exchange the troublesome anxiety about the sexual outcome is removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates