Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:15 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If it floods, society doesn't prevent it. It still happens. I don't drive--I prefer to walk--and I've had to deal with crime personally before--not having the police respond to it. In fact, I have refused to serve police officers as customers before.
You sure are a big case here. A lot of spinning and semantics around the point over and over. Flood prevention? I am refering that society may construct certain measures so when it floods hopefully you and idealy the whole community does not suffer, got it? I am no t saying we can prevent floods or rain but when it happens something is done to protect you.

Do you walk on a street when you go to work? If you do, you benefit from the social contract whether you like it or not and whether you think you do not need it. If you ever go to a park, you do also.

So you refuse police service, that does not mean they police does not drive around the areas which means it can be a deterrent for someone to try to burglarize your home so you benefited, indirectly, from the social contract.

I am starting to get the gut feeling you are laughing as you type your messages. I really do not think you are dumb because I refuse to accept you do not get the point or should I say the difference between not wanting and needing something as compared that you still benefit from those things because in some form you do use many of those things. Are you just trying to see how we react to you spinning and semantics on the issue?

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
You sure are a big case here. A lot of spinning and semantics around the point over and over. Flood prevention? I am refering that society may construct certain measures so when it floods hopefully you and idealy the whole community does not suffer, got it? I am no t saying we can prevent floods or rain but when it happens something is done to protect you.

Do you walk on a street when you go to work? If you do, you benefit from the social contract whether you like it or not and whether you think you do not need it. If you ever go to a park, you do also.

So you refuse police service, that does not mean they police does not drive around the areas which means it can be a deterrent for someone to try to burglarize your home so you benefited, indirectly, from the social contract.

I am starting to get the gut feeling you are laughing as you type your messages. I really do not think you are dumb because I refuse to accept you do not get the point or should I say the difference between not wanting and needing something as compared that you still benefit from those things because in some form you do use many of those things. Are you just trying to see how we react to you spinning and semantics on the issue?

You have a great day.
El Amigo
In 2004, many people filed claims for hurricane insurance--so many that the insurance companies filed for some sort of relief. And will not underwrite any more policies in the state of Florida for that form of coverage.

Additionally, they were unable to pay the amount of claims filed. If they had, they probably would have gone bankrupt. Thus, your "insurance" was useless in that case.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
In 2004, many people filed claims for hurricane insurance--so many that the insurance companies filed for some sort of relief. And will not underwrite any more policies in the state of Florida for that form of coverage.

Additionally, they were unable to pay the amount of claims filed. If they had, they probably would have gone bankrupt. Thus, your "insurance" was useless in that case.
Again, spinning again, what does that have to do with some type of construction done to help damage? Sure, it may not have been perfect but it exists. Other communities have done a better job and some others have not, not a perfect system.

There are many people that insurance did help them. However, that is not the point at all.

The point there are benefits and you keep spinning into something else.

It is not a perfect system and I have said that. You keep stressing the imperfect part, I got it. Now there are positives and some of those positives are benefits you do recieve and use whether you like it or not.

Now, what other diversionary spin are you going to put on it?

Let me try this one. One simple question: Do you use a side walk on the street when you go to work?

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 09-11-2009, 01:32 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I am starting to get the gut feeling you are laughing as you type your messages. I really do not think you are dumb because I refuse to accept you do not get the point or should I say the difference between not wanting and needing something as compared that you still benefit from those things because in some form you do use many of those things.
i used to think he was just playing too.

you guys are barking up the wrong tree. tk is never going to admit to the fact that he likes society and uses it out of preference. he is never going to admit that the products of social contract, like language, science, math, technology, medicine, hygiene, the arts, government, or anything else, are things that he uses *willingly,* every day.

he wants you to ignore the fact that he is here *by choice,* that he uses all of these societal advantages *by choice,* and that if he were really so opposed to society as he claims, he'd go live in the wild like an animal.

but, he doesn't realize that most of us can look past his third grade reasoning, and that we can see that he still chooses to live in society with the rest of us. he still prefers civilization, internet, infrastructure, and everything else that comes along with it to the lonely, animal nature world outside of social contract.

he doesn't see that all of us are in the same boat in that we all could survive outside of society too if we wanted. but we don't want to. that is the key. we all choose to live in society, by the advantages of social contract. the only difference is that we recognize this fact; he pretends that it doesn't exist.

anyone who partakes in the advantages of society exists within social contract. period. to say otherwise is like arguing that you don't follow the laws of physics. it just kind of happens, and there isn't a lot that you can do to make it otherwise, unless you can really go to a place where those laws do not apply.

in tk's case, that would mean living in the wild, away from everyone else, naked, unequipped, with only his opposable thumbs and supposed intelligence to keep him alive. but even then, he'd still be taking with him knowledge gained through thousands of years of humanity's social living. so we'd have to wipe his brain clean too (shouldn't take too long).

Old 09-11-2009, 01:32 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
el, all he will say is, he uses it because its there, but he doesnt have to

Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 PM

There isn't always a sidewalk to walk on, and I don't walk in the street. That leaves the ditch, the grass, whatever.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i used to think he was just playing too.

you guys are barking up the wrong tree. tk is never going to admit to the fact that he likes society and uses it out of preference. he is never going to admit that the products of social contract, like language, science, math, technology, medicine, hygiene, the arts, government, or anything else, are things that he uses *willingly,* every day.
Windows Media
he wants you to ignore the fact that he is here *by choice,* that he uses all of these societal advantages *by choice,* and that if he were really so opposed to society as he claims, he'd go live in the wild like an animal.

but, he doesn't realize that most of us can look past his third grade reasoning, and that we can see that he still chooses to live in society with the rest of us. he still prefers civilization, internet, infrastructure, and everything else that comes along with it to the lonely, animal nature world outside of social contract.

he doesn't see that all of us are in the same boat in that we all could survive outside of society too if we wanted. but we don't want to. that is the key. we all choose to live in society, by the advantages of social contract. the only difference is that we recognize this fact; he pretends that it doesn't exist.

anyone who partakes in the advantages of society exists within social contract. period. to say otherwise is like arguing that you don't follow the laws of physics. it just kind of happens, and there isn't a lot that you can do to make it otherwise, unless you can really go to a place where those laws do not apply.

in tk's case, that would mean living in the wild, away from everyone else, naked, unequipped, with only his opposable thumbs and supposed intelligence to keep him alive. but even then, he'd still be taking with him knowledge gained through thousands of years of humanity's social living. so we'd have to wipe his brain clean too (shouldn't take too long).
You are no under no obligation to follow society's laws, or to agree with the mainstream. Just because society does not agree with it, does not mean it is "wrong".

Old 09-11-2009, 01:55 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
tk reminds me of that ironic poster about "kids get out of your house while you still know everything"

Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
There isn't always a sidewalk to walk on, and I don't walk in the street. That leaves the ditch, the grass, whatever.
I knew you would answer that way. I asked as a final point to get the picture on you.

I very respectfully and as tactfully because I hate being a jerk will say you are playing a good role of portraying a dummy.

I will say it was a very interesting exchange. I will say you are not the first one I have seen. I still remember a Soldier I had that was just like you. No matter how you corner him with a very simple and straighforward question he still just danced around not giving the answer he knew was the correct answer thus avoiding the fact he was wrong.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 09-11-2009, 02:01 PM

I've had to rely on myself since the day I was born. Couldn't count on my parents to take any responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates