Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:49 AM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
The majority of the population is not educated, afraid of science, and believes in a form of creationism (last poll I knew of). One of the reasons the US is a republic, as I understand it, is to avoid mob rules.
Exactly. Put most of the current social issues to a vote tomorrow and most of those issues would be gone rather quickly.

Some of the views here are downright creepy. And we all wonder why some folks feel the need to keep and maintain firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Here is the answer. If a person has a mental IQ very low so they cant funtion or care for any offspring. THEY SHOULD NOT be allowed to breed. If they do anyway they should be jailed and forsed to be sterilized. Its common for certified retarded females to be sterilized now. Sad yes but for the childrens sake it has to be..
Brilliant. My daughter is developmentally disabled (or retarded, if you prefer). If someday she gets pregnant, whether raped, coerced by someone who knows better or simply fooling around with a retarded boy, put her in jail. Perform surgery on her! Abort the baby, perhaps? For everybody's good, of course.

I can't decide whether this sounds more like something out of 1984 or Brave New World.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Exactly. Put most of the current social issues to a vote tomorrow and most of those issues would be gone rather quickly.

Some of the views here are downright creepy. And we all wonder why some folks feel the need to keep and maintain firearms.
Agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Brilliant. My daughter is developmentally disabled (or retarded, if you prefer). If someday she gets pregnant, whether raped, coerced by someone who knows better or simply fooling around with a retarded boy, put her in jail. Perform surgery on her! Abort the baby, perhaps? For everybody's good, of course.

I can't decide whether this sounds more like something out of 1984 or Brave New World.
I'm sorry that you, as a mother of a developmentally disabled kid, has to read all this crap.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry that you, as a mother of a developmentally disabled kid, has to read all this crap.
Thanks, Braunwyn. Reading threads like this here and in the Parenting forum help me keep a thick skin, and it's good to know other people's perspectives. I already know that some people think disabled people are little better than animals, so I'm not terribly surprised to read opinions that they should be treated like them. Remember to spay or neuter your retarded children, folks!

Perhaps the U.S. will become such a place someday, but if it does happen, I think it will be at least a few lifetimes from now. There's enough argument now about whether parents have the right to deny their diabetic children insulin ... we're a long way from seizing and sterilizing people against their will.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 AM

751 posts, read 2,480,798 times
No everyone should not be having kids. But not because of perfect lineage, but ability to love and care for a child.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:12 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
Quote:
The majority of the population is not educated, afraid of science, and believes in a form of creationism (last poll I knew of). One of the reasons the US is a republic, as I understand it, is to avoid mob rules.
id like to see THAT source

Old 09-10-2009, 01:56 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
id like to see THAT source
A. "In 2003, over four-fifths (85 percent) of all adults 25 years or older reported they had completed at least high school; over one in four adults (27 percent) had attained at least a bachelor's degree; "
Education - American FactFinder

I was going to say 30% have a 4 year degree. Close enough with 27%. 10-15% have grad degrees; 2-3% professional degrees and around 1-1.5% have pH d's (in or out of the sciences I'm not sure).

B. This poll or one similar will do. This stuff was all over the news a few years ago.

"Most Americans Do Not Believe Human Beings Evolved"

Poll: Creationism Trumps Evolution - CBS News

C. Do you need to see a source that the US is a republic?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,485 times
Yes, everyone should be allowed to have children because we cannot play God and force people to be sterilized or take birth control. At least not in the U.S.

That being said, we shouldn't reward people for breeding families they cannot support. Here in Vermont it seems like every other person is on some type of public assistance between free food, subsidized housing and free or subsidized health care. Most of these benefits go to families with children.

It's not unusual for a 25 year old woman to have three kids with three different men. In addition to the welfare handouts, these women are generally incompetent mothers and their kids require special aids, services at school, which just ads to the tax bill.

I don't think it would be going to far to insist that women receiving benefits for children be asked to take birth control and told that they will not be rewarded financially for continuing to breed. But, I doubt this will ever happen.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:28 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Yes, everyone should be allowed to have children because we cannot play God and force people to be sterilized or take birth control. At least not in the U.S.

That being said, we shouldn't reward people for breeding families they cannot support. Here in Vermont it seems like every other person is on some type of public assistance between free food, subsidized housing and free or subsidized health care. Most of these benefits go to families with children.

It's not unusual for a 25 year old woman to have three kids with three different men. In addition to the welfare handouts, these women are generally incompetent mothers and their kids require special aids, services at school, which just ads to the tax bill.

I don't think it would be going to far to insist that women receiving benefits for children be asked to take birth control and told that they will not be rewarded financially for continuing to breed. But, I doubt this will ever happen.
Yeah, but you can't just force someone to take birth control. Even if you require it, how do you make sure they are taking it right. Accidents happen on the pill as well.

Maybe an IUD should be implanted if they want food stamps, health care, or welfare. There would still be a lot of people pissed about that to. I don't even know if thats constitutional eitherway.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I agree.

Quote:
That being said, we shouldn't reward people for breeding families they cannot support. ... I don't think it would be going to far to insist that women receiving benefits for children be asked to take birth control and told that they will not be rewarded financially for continuing to breed. But, I doubt this will ever happen.
I also doubt this, because of your original statement. We cannot force people to be sterilized or take birth control. And the problem I see with simply telling women that we won't pay for more than X number of children is that kids need food and shelter. What are we going to do, deny a baby food because we're upset with his mother? Or take the baby away? We already have too many children in foster care, and that costs money too.

I agree that the welfare system needs to be revamped, but I honestly don't know what the solution is. Refusing to feed babies, however, is not it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates