Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,239,065 times

Advertisements

NATO. Do you know what this stands for? It had been so long that I actually had to think about it for a minute. It's been around since the 40's. Is it really needed and do we (US) really benefit by being a member?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

It was originally established to help defend Europe against the Russians, and to defend the United States against the Russians in case they attacked us.

It turned into just another alliance for us I believe. I get confused on the United Nations and the NATO role in the world. The two seem to contradict one another, but maybe thats just me.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:12 AM

78,355 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

It was originally established to help defend Europe against the Russians, and to defend the United States against the Russians in case they attacked us.

It turned into just another alliance for us I believe. I get confused on the United Nations and the NATO role in the world. The two seem to contradict one another, but maybe thats just me.
The UN is a largely powerless organization which is rather a mess. Many nations there are basically protected by sanction by one of the members with veto power. Many reasons why they do this but generally economic and political. (Everyone abuses the UN)

NATO is quite effective, membership is a HUGE deal for some of the European nations as you are pretty much safe from attack. If you study European history this is not farfetched. So of the recent Russian actions would be examples. The benefit to the US is that we get a lot of clout with those countries and also military sales as there are NATO standards for equipment. I'm not sure if this nets out positively though.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:49 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
NATO = yes
UN = no

Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
The UN was never meant as a defense organization. It has turned inot nothing but a debate society . It's best role is to help in disasters like food shortages.NATO was a common defense oraganization meant to counter the russian threat and has been very successful.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,653,870 times
With the demise of
the Warsaw Pact , do you think we still need NATO ?

Old 09-09-2009, 08:16 AM

78,355 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
With the demise of
the Warsaw Pact , do you think we still need NATO ?
There are still a lot of nervous European nations that want in BADLY. Recent history in Eastern Europe would indicate that is a wise move.

Russia 'invades' Georgia as South Ossetia descends towards war - Telegraph

Russia threatens nuclear attack on Ukraine - Telegraph

Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
NATO has the same flaw as the UN, in that the US is expected to foot the lions share of expense and commitment. Without the US, NATO is a paper tiger. It was originally formed to stand against the Warsaw Pact, read the USSR, and these days it's mission is rather ambiguous. The European countries involved do not have what could honestly be called any offensive capability, talking conventional, not nuclear here. NATO would be entirely dependent on the US for any large operations or deployment of conventional forces, such as troops, tanks, helos, attack or fighter aircraft etc. Just like theUN is. Do I , personally, see a 'benefit' to the US continuing this relationship? Not really. Only if the other members would commit to a more active role, which is not likely to happen. I have to cast a jaundiced eye on putting our people under command, or at the disposal of, of most of the countries in NATO.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
No not really. because it not only take money and committemnt but air space;bases and otherr logistics to have the success NATO has had. of course since WWII both frnace( who was never really committed to NATO) and england ar4e a shadow of their fomrer self's militarily. But the combined committemnts is necessary. NATO had been perhaps the most sucessful alliance of all time IMO. Of course the US not only committs the most but has the most control and power within NATO.The money the US has spent is much better spent in NATO than what we spend with the UN;which is all politics and pretty useless now days.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:07 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Actually, NATO stands for North American Theater Owners. It is a trade organization for movie theatres, and had Jack Valenti as the spokesperson for a number of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates