Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:18 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Solution: No medical care.

Perfect answer to the overpopulation problem many of you are groaning about on the other thread; plus it saves a boatload of cash for the government, and none of you can complain about having to pay for aunt Sally's (who weighs 500 pounds) health issues. She's dead. One less big mac recipient.

When it's time to die, it's time to die. Which of you are immortal?

Other than my solution, this is my favorite:
So I guess you will be one of those who would voluntarily refuse Medicare at age of 65, right? I mean if you can't get an honest job to provide you insurance and cannot afford astronomical private insurance premiums at that age you are pretty worthless anyway, so why not check out what the 'other side' has to offer.

I suppose you will be ok to die if you haven't saved a 'measly' few million for your future healthcare treatments for the rest of your life. I mean, every hard working person should be able to cover the costs of 6-10K a day of hospital stays for who knows how many days and 100K surgeries, right? It should be fairly easy to become a multi-millionnaire, after all, every hard working person accomplishes this by the age they require extensive medical help anyway, so whoever didn't save, it's their problem, they are just lazy and deserve to die.

If you are still young and in some unfortunate circumstance develop a health problem requiring expensive treatment or get into a major accident you are going to be ready to say good bye to this world with a smile on your face even though you life could be easily saved with the standard treatment.

So, basically, while in the 3rd world country you could be saved from bleeding to death after an accident your 'solution' suggests that everyone who didn't save for a few hospital days and a surgery or two should just wait for the kindly touch of death to save them from pain/bleeding/burns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Its time to stop imagining that if something is American its automatically the best in world. That's not necessarily true. We need to consider ideas that are working well in other countries.
You are absolutely right. It's time to leave the illusions that we have the most superior quality of healthcare in the world behind. Just because you are getting overcharged for simple medical tests and procedures like CT scans/MRIs, ultrasounds, routine surgery and hospital stays it doesn't mean you get the best quality and that same quality doesn't exist somewhere at much much lower cost.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:46 PM

25,742 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
So I guess you will be one of those who would voluntarily refuse Medicare at age of 65, right? I mean if you can't get an honest job to provide you insurance and cannot afford astronomical private insurance premiums at that age you are pretty worthless anyway, so why not check out what the 'other side' has to offer.

I suppose you will be ok to die if you haven't saved a 'measly' few million for your future healthcare treatments for the rest of your life. I mean, every hard working person should be able to cover the costs of 6-10K a day of hospital stays for who knows how many days and 100K surgeries, right? It should be fairly easy to become a multi-millionnaire, after all, every hard working person accomplishes this by the age they require extensive medical help anyway, so whoever didn't save, it's their problem, they are just lazy and deserve to die.

If you are still young and in some unfortunate circumstance develop a health problem requiring expensive treatment or get into a major accident you are going to be ready to say good bye to this world with a smile on your face even though you life could be easily saved with the standard treatment.

So, basically, while in the 3rd world country you could be saved from bleeding to death after an accident your 'solution' suggests that everyone who didn't save for a few hospital days and a surgery or two should just wait for the kindly touch of death to save them from pain/bleeding/burns.

Ummm, I thought that post would be strong enough to reek of sarcasm; I suppose I was wrong.

So, let’s lay it out straight: No, I do not support the health care plan as it is proposed at this point. A mafia protection racket is not my idea of a legitimate healthcare plan. I’m not opposed to a healthcare plan with an IQ of over 37. Unfortunately the IQ of this plan is at about the level of a termite. Racketeering is supposed to be illegal. If the mafia is not supposed to do it, why should the government be allowed?

As is the case with one-size-fits-all 99.9% of the time, one size DOES NOT fit all. Some of you people think you have the answer for everyone. You don’t. You want to force everyone under your Big Top for a circus that not everyone wants to see. That attitude is becoming more prevalent by the year, and I’m absolutely sick of it. I’m perfectly willing to cooperate with a plan that is beneficial to all of us, as long as it’s BY CHOICE. I’m very easy to get along with as long as I’m not having a ring placed into my nose and being dragged along. This plan has two strikes against it right out of the gate: 1) it is NOT in everyone’s best interest (it is primarily in the treasury department's best interest). 2) It is not by choice.

So, you folks need to do one of three things: you can decriminalize slavery, you can put the mafia in charge of the legalized racketeering (they would probably run it more efficiently), or you can demand that the gubbernmint come up with something that isn’t a smokescreen disguising a bilking machine for the common man. I can only support the third choice.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Ummm, I thought that post would be strong enough to reek of sarcasm; I suppose I was wrong.
Sorry, didn't notice any sarcasm there. When you say ridiculous statements like "no healthcare" or "we are all mortal why don't we accept it and just die" it hardly comes across as 'witty sarcasm' especially when there is no other content in your post indicating your 'real' opinion.

So, you didn't answer my question. Are you going to be the one not applying for medicare when you turn 65 and you haven't managed to save a few million? Medicare goes against your fundamental points - it is government controlled, it's something that can be considered 'one size fits all'.

Quote:
This plan has two strikes against it right out of the gate: 1) it is NOT in everyone’s best interest (it is primarily in the treasury department's best interest). 2) It is not by choice.
First of all I don't know what plan you are talking about here. There were several very different ideas brought on this particular thread, which one are you referring to? All are different ideas and all of them include some sort of choice for those who want to receive healthcare from other sources or use private type of insurance/cash payments.

Secondly, are you suggesting that what we currently have IS in everyone's best interest? Are you one of those people who have delusions that we have some sort of fair market based competition driven healthcare?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 17,289 times
Exclamation Health care bills in House/ Senate

All five are scary -- HR3200 is blatantly unconstitutional, violating rights of privacy, speech and basic freedoms. Check pages 29, 30, 179, 239, 241 and your hair will stand straight up. Where on earth is the League of Women Voters??? (truly non partisan study civic group)

1. Public should have a minimum of three weeks to read any health care legislation before Congress votes on it. That's still no guarantee of anything, of course; once it goes to reconciliation between House and Senate versions it will be re-written (again behind closed doors).

2. Once April 15 2010 tax season hits, everyone under 50 will understand why Congress has been determined NOT to put legislation on line. They urgently do not want the public to see what is being legislated in form of loss of freedoms and staggering taxes.

3. Only solution in sight: VOTE, VOTE VOTE in Nov. and EVERY election thereafter -- but do your homework -- read for yourself what they are doing; read, forget TV ads altogether.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 17,289 times
Exclamation What can be done about health care crisis?? VOTE in Nov.!!!

Time for bloverating over health care has past. Think what you can do NOW. This country is is Real trouble like none of us have seen in this Century..it really is!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:02 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
All five are scary -- HR3200 is blatantly unconstitutional, violating rights of privacy, speech and basic freedoms. Check pages 29, 30, 179, 239, 241 and your hair will stand straight up. Where on earth is the League of Women Voters??? (truly non partisan study civic group)

1. Public should have a minimum of three weeks to read any health care legislation before Congress votes on it. That's still no guarantee of anything, of course; once it goes to reconciliation between House and Senate versions it will be re-written (again behind closed doors).

2. Once April 15 2010 tax season hits, everyone under 50 will understand why Congress has been determined NOT to put legislation on line. They urgently do not want the public to see what is being legislated in form of loss of freedoms and staggering taxes.

3. Only solution in sight: VOTE, VOTE VOTE in Nov. and EVERY election thereafter -- but do your homework -- read for yourself what they are doing; read, forget TV ads altogether.

.................................................. ................................................

Ok, we can see what you are against. What I don't see is what you are for? Do you just want to leave this healthcare mess the way it is and think somehow the "free market" will magically straighten it out? Or, are you one of those people who believes that because YOU have good health insurance that the rest of us ought to just leave everything the way it is? Maybe you work for the private health insurance industry? I don't know.

What I do know is that most of us in this country are tired of BS and scare tactics. You don't like what is being proposed? Fine, come up with a real alternative. Until than, a posting like this is just worthless.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:17 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times
The u.s. Is the only developed nation without universal healthcare. Europeans, canadians, australians, and new zealanders have universal health care systems.

Republicans did not want you to know that we spend all of our money in the military and stupid wars.

Say thanks to Bill o reilly and fox news.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Extension of Medicare for all is my vote. Yes Medicare and SS are technically broke (thanks boomers) but I don't hear grandma complaining about her $4 prescription now is she?

Forget private insurance competition. Private business has NEVER been able to police itself, and never will. The insurance companies are in the business of minimizing payouts and maximizing input. They are inherently capitalistic. Health care should be a utility, not a commodity, ergo insurance companies will never act in the welfare of the human being.

I have subsidized health care (tricare) and it treats me well. When I didn't, I did without, as private options were crap or prohibitively expensive. It's time to tell grandma to stop being so selfish and allow the grandkid on medicare, after all his fractional input into the system benefits her directly and balances the taxiation across a broader spectrum (since grandkid is still less likely to use the system in the scale that grandma does). But grandma is a selfish *** and votes accordingly.

As to government mandate? Do not agree. Government mandate WITHOUT a public option? (the current proposal) Heall naw!! There should be torches in the street, that's just fascism, the literal definition of it no less.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:24 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Nationalize Health Care, at least until the Baby Boomers are gone to the FEMA CAMPs and Death Panels. Any solution that still includes the Health Insurance Companieas and Lawyers does nothing.
That will relieve employers of the responsibility for Health Care Insurance and the Medical end of Workmans Comp. It will allow employees to move from job to job and will take Medical Liability out of Auto and Home Owners Insurance.

The Baby Boom Aging si a national problem which requires Government intervention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates