Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Ah that's the rub.

Jobs that are fun, easy and\or take little skill to do pay little and have poor (if any) benefits because there are lots of people available to do them.

If you can find something you love to do that few others can do and there is a demand for it....then you get paid well, the best of both worlds.

.................................................. ................................................

I think you are making a good point. And, I think a good part of America's problem competing in this world is that people in other countries don't act this way. Instead, they have more people who are so determined to get ahead that they will take a high skilled job at what we consider a low wage and do their best at it. Pretty soon people in our country want to buy the products made in those countries and guess what? Manufacturing in America dies. We develop a huge trade imbalance. Slowly over time, our standard of living deteriorates.

I definitely favor a universal health insurance plan, but I think people in this country are just kidding themselves if they think they can get by doing easy, mediocre work when almost any job today can be done overseas or by robotics. If we want a high standard of living and good health care for all Americans we can't be a nation of slackers, doing less and less every year. These things cost money and someone somewhere has to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 07:46 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
I want to make it clear that I meant an "easy" "fun" job. I meant something that you're generally interested in. For two years, I worked for a job that I ENJOYED, and I needed a higher skill level than flipping burgers. BUT it was a small business that COULDN'T AFFORD health insurance premiums. I stuck with it though because I LIKED it, and just hoped that I didn't fall ill or break a leg.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
Everyone in this country should have the right to excellent and free medical care.
WHAT? The hell they should.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Now I think it is a GREAT idea.

Seriously.

Now I don't have to worry about what my smoking does to me. You are all going to pay for my emphysema, lung, mouth, and throat cancer surgeries, chemo, and all the cures that the government approves. Thanks so much!

My alcoholism? Hey, no problem. You can all pay for my repetitive treatments at Betty Ford or any other clinic. After all, I'm one of those "poor people without insurance" everyone is always pontificating about. Now I can do whatever I want, get as drunk as often as I want - and no matter whom I smash into, I'm covered! My liver is going? Well, it's not MY fault I'm addicted, now is it? Ya'll have all said so! I need a new liver, and I deserve it as much as anyone else who has never had a drink.

Oh, I'm overweight, too. But hey, who cares? That's your problem now. High cholesterol? Heart problems? Breathing problems? Even Acid reflux? There's a pill for everything, and I'll need 'em all. Pass the pizza and the beer, and don't stint on the german chocolate cake! Diabetes? Who cares? You're going to pay for those pills, and then the bottles of insulin as I need them. So what if I lose my eyesight, or end up in a wheelchair with my legs cut off? That's now your problem.

I forgot to mention that I am also very fond of drugs. I need drugs to sleep, and drugs to get up and do things, like run to the store for more pizza. I am quite fond of self-medicating, with all of the emotional angst I am suffering. Coke is great for getting up out of the sleepy doldrums of the Quaaludes I took last night. Liver damage? Meth teeth? Skin diseases? It's none of YOUR business what caused all that - fork over your cash and make sure that I'm taken care of. Stop whining! You can't tell me how to live my life! How dare you criticize ME - you are infringing my rights if you do, or if you think I don't deserve the same health care as poor, hardworking you or your children!

Yes, I am completely down with this whole free health care thing now. Thanks in advance for all of your contributions to my lifestyle! This is gonna be AWESOME!

I thought this part of the forum was only for Great Debates!

Old 10-01-2009, 06:32 AM

I thought this part of the forum was only for Great Debates!

.................................................. .................................................. .

No, after reading Granny's piece its apparently a place for bad satire too.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:21 AM

284 posts, read 542,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
WHAT? The hell they should.
OK, you have made your opinion quite clear...... but let me ask you a couple of questions:

Do you think it is wrong that the government provides all children with the same public education?

Do you think it is wrong that the police department provides the same services and protection to all citizens?

Do you think it is wrong that the fire department will put out a fire at any house regardless of who lives there?

My argument is this: Personal safety, education, basic shelter and food, and proper medical care are things that all human beings should be provided with equally and not according to respective socio-economic status. The government already provides education, police and fire services, and housing (HUD, section 8 services), to everyone across the board. I feel that access to quality medical care should not be based on educational attainment, carreer choice, or socio-economic status because it is a basic human necessity. The current system in this country creates de facto second-class citizens.

I would like to hear your opinion concerning the aforementioned socialized services that are already provided by our government; whether or not you agree that the government should continue to provide them, and if so: why should not healthcare be provided also?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:06 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
OK, you have made your opinion quite clear...... but let me ask you a couple of questions:

Do you think it is wrong that the government provides all children with the same public education?

Do you think it is wrong that the police department provides the same services and protection to all citizens?

Do you think it is wrong that the fire department will put out a fire at any house regardless of who lives there?

My argument is this: Personal safety, education, basic shelter and food, and proper medical care are things that all human beings should be provided with equally and not according to respective socio-economic status. The government already provides education, police and fire services, and housing (HUD, section 8 services), to everyone across the board. I feel that access to quality medical care should not be based on educational attainment, carreer choice, or socio-economic status because it is a basic human necessity. The current system in this country creates de facto second-class citizens.

I would like to hear your opinion concerning the aforementioned socialized services that are already provided by our government; whether or not you agree that the government should continue to provide them, and if so: why should not healthcare be provided also?
Ok, I'm quitting my job so I can smoke pot, get drunk and play xbox all day. I'm glad to know that you will cover my food, housing and medical care as there is no reason for me to work.

I don't think you have thought through the ramifications of human nature.

More and more and more benefits to make life good enough to not be worth working....pop out more kids.

I support programs to help the working poor families. I DO NOT support programs that discourage people from working, bettering themselves etc.

Lastly, there are shared services like police, fire etc. that have low incremental costs of operation. Certain things like medical care have a relatively much higher incremental cost, I think you need to understand that.

Long story short, no free healthcare if you are >18...subsidized yes...but you need to work. It's no different than never working a steady job all your life and then expecting good social security benefits...you have to pay into the system.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:08 AM

.................................................. ...............................................

I doubt you'll get an answer, but if you do it will be something short and unthoughtful like "I think everyone ought to take care of their own".

Everyone in America gets a vote and everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is the way it ought to be. However, that does not mean that all opinions are equal to one another. The reality is that some opinions show a great deal more thought and research than others do. I think there are some legitimate reasons to take issue with universal healthcare, but I seldom hear those ideas expressed.

For example, I am concerned about the costs involved. We need to do it, but I'm not under any illusion it will be free or cheap. Our country is deeply in debt and until this recession ends that problem will just get worse. We have to put together a plan that won't break the bank and will give everyone--or at least almost everyone--access to care. Its right and fair to question whether we can afford this kind of a plan. I think those of us who support universal healthcare understand quite clearly that the "devil is in the details".

What totally fails to impress me is a more common type of argument. "Don't help those people without insurance because (1) Its not MY problem; (2) Everyone who really wants health insurance can afford it. (3) Big government will take over and destroy our freedom if we do it". Those are the stupid arguments, generally made by those who haven't thought the issue through. Its the kind of stuff you'd hear on the Limbaugh show. These people ought to be ashamed of themselves for being so selfish and short-sighted, but there are alot of them out there.

I believe this discussion is valuable and that's why I continue contributing to it.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:08 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I want to make it clear that I meant an "easy" "fun" job. I meant something that you're generally interested in. For two years, I worked for a job that I ENJOYED, and I needed a higher skill level than flipping burgers. BUT it was a small business that COULDN'T AFFORD health insurance premiums. I stuck with it though because I LIKED it, and just hoped that I didn't fall ill or break a leg.
Yep. My gf is in the same predicament. Loves her job but it's just not going to meet her financial goals.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:51 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
She probably gets better service with less aggravation by paying out of pocket.

Never in a million years would we have such high health care costs if people paid for their routine care out of pocket.

it doesn't matter whether you pay out of your pocket or not. This won't help. the point you are missing is following. there is a necessary healthcare and there is optional healthcare. Optional healthcare includes all the elective procedures that aren't required to keep one alive, like laser treatments, cosmetic surgery and dentistry. If you notice the prices for elective healthcare and dentistry are much more reasonable and predictable, you know up front how much everything costs and you have different payment options - cash, loans, insurance. Mostly, it's cash business, so there is competition as you can easily shop around for prices. Because this is primarily cash business with little insurance involvement the overhead costs are much less.

so, you hope we can do the same to the real healthcare, right? that' is a point you are trying to make, and I think it's a good point. However, this won't work and this is why.

The 'real' healthcare, the procedures and treatments everyone needs in some point in their life to function and to just stay alive is a different concept altogether. Because this is crucial to one's survival hospitals cannot refuse someone who cannot pay and will treat them. If you make everyone pay cash there will still be a very large percentage of people who simply won't afford to pay even if prices were to be much lower. Should these people be treated? Should a homeless person who got brutally beaten or hurt in a hit and run accident let die on the street? No, so hospitals are going to treat every patient that comes through the door. I am sure some hospitals can get away and refuse patients without certain qualifications, but overall, most emergency rooms will see you even if you can't present any form of payment or an ID.

There is the whole issue of ethics in society that isn't present when talking about the optional procedures which allows elective care be more market based. cosmetic surgeon or a dentist or a laser technician simply refuse treatment to anyone who is not capable of paying. So, they occur no costs due to a large enough percentage of people who won't pay, they as a result have no costs to pass to you in a form of a much larger bill. This won't be the case with the real healthcare, ever, as there are always going to be poor people who will get sick and will have to be treated and won't be able to afford to pay.

the only good thing 'cash only' option can do is getting rid of the middle men such as for-profit insurance and the overhead associated with it which will help keep prices lower and more transparent. but in this case many who are happy with their insurance plans will greatly disagree with you. for them it would be better to pay only deductible and premium out of pocket as opposed to the cost of the entire procedure if they have to have anything major happen to them and if their insurance indeed agrees to cover everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates