Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:35 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Well... In high school, one field I strongly considered was teaching music. I had a music scholarship in college. Play several instruments. Married to a woman whose whole family consists of professional musicians and artists. Both my sons have been professional musicians, and one still is. Daughter that has been all-state, all-city, honors orchestra, etc.

Basically, yeah, you could say I know just a little bit about music.

And I'll say this about your comments: You're dead wrong about it having nothing to do with race. Period.
It has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with exposure.

Race doesn't react to being exposed to classical music, a person reacts to being exposed to classical music.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:44 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
^True.

As someone who happens to be black, I can say with confidence that there is nothing about my "race" that would ever have precluded me from falling in love with classical music as a teenager. Fortunately I had the chance to attend a school for performing and visual arts, where my appreciation for music found a great deal of nourishment and support.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
I think that to make the assumption that ones Race, has any bearing on a persons appreciation of music, is ridicules. I have heard to many fine Musicians of all Races to believe other wise. . As they say back home, "that dog just won't hunt"

Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 PM

28 posts, read 52,709 times
Quote:
Well... In high school, one field I strongly considered was teaching music. I had a music scholarship in college. Play several instruments. Married to a woman whose whole family consists of professional musicians and artists. Both my sons have been professional musicians, and one still is. Daughter that has been all-state, all-city, honors orchestra, etc.

Basically, yeah, you could say I know just a little bit about music.

And I'll say this about your comments: You're dead wrong about it having nothing to do with race. Period.
My father sang opera and as a girl I would often accompany him to his Saturday morning vocal coach (he had a baritone bass range).

I wasn't allowed to listen to popular music growing up and the only time I did was when my cousin would baby sit me then I got some Elton John and David Bowie. My father made sure I listened to opera and classical music, or maybe Frank Sinatra.

I had piano lessons from age 3. Music theory for 5 years starting at age 8. Vocal lessons beginning at age 7. I joined my school orchestra (because our school system could afford it we had instruments) in elementary school. I wanted to play the cello, but they had 7 cellists and I was tall so I was persuaded to take up the bass.

I played bass from the 5th grade through 12th. Played and earned medals and placed in many state competitions - in quintet (bass solos are brutal). Joined my college orchestra and auditioned with several orchestras (in the 1980's) and came close but no cigar.

If any black person was to join an orchestra it should have been me.

I think you all need to rethink your idea of what the "average" black person has an interest in because as I read these comments on this board it's obvious to me that you're all guessing. My situation is probably not typical for most black people but I can't say that it is more typical of white, or asian, or latinos for that matter either.

I will say that to deny that there are other blacks like me would be wrong. And it is flat out wrong to attempt to break down an interest in classical music by race. There are many things in the world that can't be put into a neat little box by race and this is one of them.

Listening to classical music is an acquired taste for MANY people. It doesn't matter if you're black, white or orange. You have to be exposed to it early and often to understand the nuances of classical music. And to fully appreciate classical music you have to study it.

Do yourselves a favor and read the article I've attached.

Open your eyes and minds.

Black musicians face misconceptions, says Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra maestro | Kalamazoo News - - MLive.com

Let's not forget the names Leontyne Price, Kathleen Battle, and Jessye Norman to name a few.

Someone had to introduce them to opera before they could sing it.

It has nothing to do with race, and EVERYTHING to do with EXPOSURE.

Last edited by alwaysbombed; 11-07-2009 at 10:59 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 10:55 PM

I think what actually scares some people, is the fact that we are all much more alike, than they may feel comfortable admitting. Music in and of itself, has a unifying quality. Music is not only color blind, it is blind. It's music.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:07 PM

28 posts, read 52,709 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'd say that there's too much racism in the United States. I say that because any racism is too much.

Of course, it's also true that on one level racism is an individual thing. Governments cannot force individuals to not be racists.

Also, I honestly don't know if the United States has more or less racism than other countries. I suspect less, because there are so many various peoples of different races, cultures and backgrounds here.
This comment is a direct contradiction of the thread you have made here sir...

Care to explain?

Old 11-07-2009, 11:28 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbombed View Post
Let's not forget the names Leontyne Price, Kathleen Battle, and Jessye Norman to name a few.

Someone had to introduce them to opera before they could sing it.

It has nothing to do with race, and EVERYTHING to do with EXPOSURE.
Right on, not to mention this little fella:

YouTube - Chopin Etude Op 25 No 12 10yo Piano Genius Jordan Adams

A gem.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:32 PM

I think some degree of racism is to be expected. Some people just don't like other people. Some people don't like Texans, as hard as that is to believe.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:43 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
Default Dean Dixon

Let's not forget Dean Dixon. Music: Negro Conductor - TIME
He made most of his career in Europe, because he did not fit the role in the U.S. Google him.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbombed View Post
This comment is a direct contradiction of the thread you have made here sir...

Care to explain?
I might, if I had any idea what you're claiming I contradicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates