Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 02:19 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Tell me who the leaders of McVeigh, Kaczynski, Rudolph etc. are. Are they part of the same group? If we know that, then we should proceed further.

We know there are leaders of Islam who are teaching this stuff. They have declared that they are on the attack. They are attacking worldwide. We know how they feel about those not in Islam. Why would you not treat this group differently?

This country has gotten to the point where we are servants of the system - the system does not serve us. I don't know how else you can make sense out of looking the other way on this. There has to be the flexibility to handle special circumstances in the interest of the country when the threat presents itself.
What you are seeing is the extremist persons doing this stuff. You don't see the regular persons doing this stuff. I make a differentiation between when I see extremists do and the Muslims I interact with. I am not afraid of immigrants. Strangely enough, I am more afraid of the police in some instances(and for what it's worth, I am a law abiding citizen).

Old 11-16-2009, 03:07 PM

45,577 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What you are seeing is the extremist persons doing this stuff. You don't see the regular persons doing this stuff. I make a differentiation between when I see extremists do and the Muslims I interact with. I am not afraid of immigrants. Strangely enough, I am more afraid of the police in some instances(and for what it's worth, I am a law abiding citizen).
Hasan was a normal person until last week according to his neighbors.

The teaching he was receiving has been constant for years. Who will be next to snap? Because it will happen again. They are being protected by our government, the media, and willing lawyers.

We lose 12, they lose none and suffer no legal or military consequence. From their standpoint, why not do it again?

Old 11-16-2009, 03:10 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Reading through these posts is quite interesting in that when Side A states that a Type X Terrorist is a serious threat, Side B quickly calls foul and brays out that a Type Y Terrorist is traditionally a far greater threat. Doesn't anyone see how ridiculous this argument is?

You are up in the mountains with a friend. Suddenly a bear approaches from the north and a mountain lion approaches from the south. Are you two going to argue which is the greater threat until you're both mauled to death and eaten?

Is the plan to just sit around holding hands in a big circle, discussing which of the two Bowie-knife-wielding serial killers within the circle is the bigger threat... until we all have our throats slit and it doesn't matter anymore? Brilliant.

Last edited by ChrisC; 11-16-2009 at 03:27 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 03:59 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I quite agree with you. I believe the simple answer to your question is that ignorance breeds fear. Most people yelling the loudest about all this, immigration, etc. are ignorant of the basics they are yelling about. I'll take freedom also!
Ignorance indeed. The week after 9/11 saw a rash of assaults on Muslims in my home town.

It also saw many SIKH's assaulted as well.

Buncha morans.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:

The teaching he was receiving has been constant for years. Who will be next to snap? Because it will happen again. They are being protected by our government, the media, and willing lawyers.

We lose 12, they lose none and suffer no legal or military consequence. From their standpoint, why not do it again?
That was HIM receiving that teachinng. One of a few Muslims receiving that teaching. How many Muslims do YOU know receiving that kind of extreme teaching?
Why is it that when there are 129 comfirmed terrorists who aren't Muslims who have done stupid stuff, deadly stuff, and we aren't checking every White person we see, but when a few Muslims do it, we want to check them all?The only difference I see is superficial. Terror is terror in my book.
You were saying that Hasan was a normal person according to his neighbors. Nobody suspected Jeffrey Dahmer when he was killing people and eating them. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold made a film depicting the way they were going to kill some people. No one took it seriously. No one knew they were building bombs in the basement of their parents' home, least of all their parents. Then on April 19, 1999, what did they do? They shot up Columbine High School, and planned bombings. They also shot a Christian student.
I know better. Everything I hear about people in the Middle East doesn't scare me. I know the difference between a terrorist who happens to be of Middle Eastern descent, and a Middle Eastern person who isn't. The way you talk, you are talking as if all Muslims and people from the Middle East are terrorists. My view is this: Stopping immigration doesn't help the persons who aren't terrorists, who don't want to harm anyone, who want to be here. It also won't stop terrorists from getting in. Terrorists do what they want whenever they want. Why else are suicide bombings happening? It also won't stop domestic terrorism.
Just because there are White people out there who committ acts of terrorism, that doesn't mean I am going to judge the entire White population in the USA. I know better. I know there is a difference between Eric Rudolph and my neighbors.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Reading through these posts is quite interesting in that when Side A states that a Type X Terrorist is a serious threat, Side B quickly calls foul and brays out that a Type Y Terrorist is traditionally a far greater threat. Doesn't anyone see how ridiculous this argument is?

You are up in the mountains with a friend. Suddenly a bear approaches from the north and a mountain lion approaches from the south. Are you two going to argue which is the greater threat until you're both mauled to death and eaten?

Is the plan to just sit around holding hands in a big circle, discussing which of the two Bowie-knife-wielding serial killers within the circle is the bigger threat... until we all have our throats slit and it doesn't matter anymore? Brilliant.
What you're missing is that your "Side A" refuses to realize that ALL terrorists, no amtter of what relgiious bent, is a danger.

Such a closed-eyed mentality allows the terrorists of "Side A" to operate freely.

"Side B" is merely trying to illsutrate how dangerouse fundamentalism is, in any religious or political camp.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I know better. I know there is a difference between Eric Rudolph and my neighbors.
I agree with most of your post. But, I think you are glossing over the fact that MILITANT Muslim extremists (not the normal Muslim) have huge financial backing from very rich states. They are well armed. They are well versed in our strengths and weaknesses. They know how to exploit those weaknesses. They are very aggressive in their aims. They will stop at nothing and do not care if they die while trying.

How much major financial/moral backing and training from foreign states did Eric Rudolph have?

I agree with your statement that a terrorist is a terrorist (as evidenced in my last post). But why do some of you constantly discount the danger of militant extremist Muslims? I don't think anyone is stating that all Muslims are terrorists. That's one extreme view. Many of you choose to take the other extreme view: no Muslims are terrorists. They are there and they are a threat, just like any other terrorist. Ignoring it isn't going to help. Excusing it isn't going to help.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:

I'm sure Paster Fred Winters would like to comment on your post, if he was alive after one of his fellow Christians shot him to death.

Or the eleven that the Army of God have killed over the years.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:20 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

The arguement is "There are dangerous animals in the woods". Of course, this is true.

However, do you kill every squirrel, rabbit, deer, and other harmless animal, on the remote chance that you might kill a dangerous one?

My argument is that there is a danger, but its not such a great danger that we should ban an entire ethnic group because a small percentage of their population are extremists.

The "Y" group which you speak of, only brings up the domestic terrorists, to prove that not just Muslims are terrorists. They bring this up to show how futile it would be to give up freedoms, and ban Muslims, because in the end, you just wouldn't be safer.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
What you're missing is that your "Side A" refuses to realize that ALL terrorists, no amtter of what relgiious bent, is a danger.

Such a closed-eyed mentality allows the terrorists of "Side A" to operate freely.

"Side B" is merely trying to illsutrate how dangerouse fundamentalism is, in any religious or political camp.
Uh, wasn't that my point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates