Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,474 times

Advertisements

Maybe the guilt feelings for charging so much $$$$$ for their services finally gets to them! Seriously, I have had three excellent dentists, but something needs to be done about the expense!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 06:10 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Judging by the one source "food batchmakers" have the highest suicide rate. Although that just brings up the question "what is a food batchmaker?" I guess it's someone who makes a whole batch of food, but does that mean like a cook or a baker or what?

They also list physicians as high, which makes sense to me. In particular I think surgeons have high stress and also a great deal of knowledge on fatal injuries. I read a study somewhere that said poets have a high suicide rate. I don't think this is because of stress or knowledge of death, but because poetry seems to be more attractive to people with mood disorders or alcohol problems.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Food BatchMakers are the people who work in food factories making your tootsie rolls,Goldfish crackers or your canned chicken noodle soup. I had an aunt who worked at Mars Candy Company (Milky Way, Snickers etc) After a short period of time,she hated even the smell of chocolate.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:42 PM

145 posts, read 224,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm not sure if this is the topic for a Great Debate forum, but I just had a discussion with my husband about dentists having the highest suicide rate.
In his opinion, the reason for that is that dentists daily put people through a lot of pain, people scream and cringe from pain in their faces constantly and it catches up to them emotionally.

A friend of mine wants to become a dentist and also wonders about this.

Does anyone have an opinion about that?

ETA: is this a correct statistic anyway or is it just a myth?

Wow, never heard of that one before. I would have guessed maybe a gynecologist or a heart surgeon - but not a dentist.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Maybe they get tired of their sadism?

Source: Anti-dentite!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:30 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm not sure if this is the topic for a Great Debate forum, but I just had a discussion with my husband about dentists having the highest suicide rate.
In his opinion, the reason for that is that dentists daily put people through a lot of pain, people scream and cringe from pain in their faces constantly and it catches up to them emotionally.

A friend of mine wants to become a dentist and also wonders about this.

Does anyone have an opinion about that?

ETA: is this a correct statistic anyway or is it just a myth?
Dentists go to great lengths to get and keep people OUT of pain, so I don't believe that at all. I have also heard that psychiatrists (like good old Dr. Hassan in Ft. Hood) have the highest suicide rate, and that butchers do, and that several other groups, including cops, do. I wonder which one is the truth?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Maybe they get tired of their sadism?
Or maybe it's what they have to look at, all day long.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:31 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I don't have a link to support it, but i do recall hearing that 70% of dentists initially chose to be M.D's, but had to change to dentistry because they were failing med school. So it's fair to say, most dentists are in dentistry because they couldn't waste the credits and the tuition money that they spent when they failed in their pursuit of becoming a doctor.
I don't how how true your statement is, but I do beleive that a lot of doctors scoff at dentists and say similar things about them. Hmmm. Maybe they kill themselves because the other doctors laugh at them?

Old 12-04-2009, 04:51 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
The Straight Dope: Do dentists have the highest suicide rate?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:25 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Seems to me, having a job that required having to mess around in someones mouth, and smell their bad breath for a job, would make me question my decision making powers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Or maybe it's what they have to look at, all day long.
The above statements, appropriately modifed, would mean sky high suicide rates for proctologists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates