Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 03:18 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartacusTheSpartan View Post
Gonna get hated on for this, BUT, I know good and Bad stuff Mankind did.

Good:

Clean, Renewable Energy.
Discovered how to use Fire for Survival.
Farming.
Peace.
Entertainment.
Playable Music (Instruments)
Pollution (Without it the world's couldn't adapate to it)
Climate change (Without this world would in a continous boring loop)

Bad:

Religion
Extinction
Nuclear Weapons
Over-Survival (Hunting, Fishing, Logging.)

So far i have more good then bad.
these are things that are good for Mankind, but we are just visitors here. the Earth is not at our disposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Mankind cannot exist without a habitable planet but the planet does not nee to be habitable. It will persist habitable or not. It may even become habitable again.

The dinosaurs learned this lesson and the birds and mammals are doing fairly well.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
What have human beings done to help the planet? Lol, OK. I'm not exactly a Nature Nazi, however, I believe Hugo Weavings line in The Matrix was pretty close to what humans are to the planet. A virus. Multiplying and consuming, but not putting anything back. We do not have a symbiotic relationship with the Earth. We could, but there is no money in it, so ideas that could be beneficial, clean energy without oil and such, are bought and hidden before they see the light of day. This has happened to a LOT of good ideas. I remeber , back in the 80's, some guy came up with a power source that used magnetic fields. Worked lke a champ it did, it was actually touted as being the closest thing ever made that came close to perpetual motion. The story was on 60 Minutes, I think, or one of those news shows. Lol, never heard another word about it after that one blip. Word was that the oill companies bought the patent, and hid the thing away in a dark corner somewhere. Would not surprise me if it were true. The guy who made the thing is, no doubt , set for life and Chevron has a nice ,tidy non-disclusure agreement with him. As long as there is such a thing as money, we will not advance.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:02 AM

Well so far, planting a tree seems to be about it. Better than nothing I guess. but was hopping we actually did more. That is assuming we plant the tree in the right place. and don't plant it somewhere, where it being there has a negative affect on the surrounding plants.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:37 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Well so far, planting a tree seems to be about it. Better than nothing I guess. but was hopping we actually did more. That is assuming we plant the tree in the right place. and don't plant it somewhere, where it being there has a negative affect on the surrounding plants.
What was it Earth First! used to use for a slogan? Back to the Pleistocene I believe. The bad thing about this save the planet gig, is, that there ain't no in between. It's all or nothing for both ends and the extreme ends are the ones with all the control. Big money and enviro wack jobs and their buddies in the EPA. Neither side has the good sense God gave a bag of hammers.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
What was it Earth First! used to use for a slogan? Back to the Pleistocene I believe. The bad thing about this save the planet gig, is, that there ain't no in between. It's all or nothing for both ends and the extreme ends are the ones with all the control. Big money and enviro wack jobs and their buddies in the EPA. Neither side has the good sense God gave a bag of hammers.
You point is well taken, and right on the money.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times
Here's an excerpt from an article I saw. But for every positive there's usually a negative.

1- Carbon dioxide is not a pollutant. On the contrary, it makes crops and forests grow faster. Mapping by satellite shows that the Earth has become about 6% greener overall in the past two decades, with forests expanding into arid regions. The Amazon rain forest was the biggest gainer, with two tons of additional biomass per acre per year. Certainly, climate change does not help every region equally, but careful studies predict overall benefit, fewer storms, more rain, better crop yields, longer growing seasons, milder winters and decreasing heating costs in colder climates. The news is certainly not bad and on balance may be rather good.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:37 PM

If "green house gases" are so bad, why do People spend so much money building green houses?? More plants, more Oxygen, right?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 PM

35 posts, read 68,867 times
lol.... nice topic "Name one thing mankind has ever done,to help our planet" this itself says he does not do any thing.
i wish that he did not do anything but atleast should not spoil it. but that is what is being happening here in this world in the name of development and researches and so ans so...
i just cant recollect what mankind has done. but can bring in lots of news about the destruction he is causing the earth.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:06 PM

So then, is there anything we can do, that would help the planet, other than leave it alone? Does it need our help even?? ---Or should we just go about our business, use what we need, until we one day become extinct, and then the Planet can just recover from us being here, just like it never happened. I don't think the planet is aware of us at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates