Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:58 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
somebody to pay for the little adventure. we are broke, if you haven't noticed. this is not the time to have our heads in the clouds. Time to fix stuff here at home. space travel will be there, when we are ready. and we are not ready now. If it is such a good idea to settle in space, why haven't private investors stepped up?--Our tax dollars are stretched to the breaking point now. Many folks are having a hard time feeding their families. I'm afraid star trek will have to wait.
I have noticed actually. But if we had spent trillions of dollars exploring and establishing colonies in space instead of paying off banker buddies we could have stepped closer to solving problems of overpopulation and resource depletion as well as created new industries.

Of course, it's probably too late now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I have noticed actually. But if we had spent trillions of dollars exploring and establishing colonies in space instead of paying off banker buddies we could have stepped closer to solving problems of overpopulation and resource depletion as well as created new industries.

If you have ever flown across our fine nation, you will see that most of it is uninhabited. we have plenty of room here to expand. the problem is most people live in Urban centers, and over tax the surrounding resources. Antarctica, would be easier to settle, than the moon, and far cheaper.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:35 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
I can't come up with one, and I'm trying.
The folks recommending celibacy are on the right track.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:

I think they use to just send them to Australia.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:39 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Since humans did not arrive on earth from another planet we are part of nature and anythng we do is natural.
A volcano drastically changes the landscape around it as do we.
Why is it that 'paving' over an area with lava is considered 'natural' but paving over the same area with concrete is not?

The real concern is simply are the changes we make detrimental to ourselves and life as we know it?
Even if it is not and the human population decreases or is eliminated, it can still be seen as just another change.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Since humans did not arrive on earth from another planet we are part of nature and anythng we do is natural.
A volcano drastically changes the landscape around it as do we.
Why is it that 'paving' over an area with lava is considered 'natural' but paving over the same area with concrete is not?

The real concern is simply are the changes we make detrimental to ourselves and life as we know it?
Even if it is not and the human population decreases or is eliminated, it can still be seen as just another change.
How "Natural" is it for Humans to produce garbage, strip mine the land, level the forest, and dump our chemical waste in the oceans??Or to litter our Skies with satellite junk, that must fall one day? --Name one other Natural inhabitant this this planet that even does one of those.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
How "Natural" is it for Humans to produce garbage, strip mine the land, level the forest, and dump our chemical waste in the oceans??Or to litter our Skies with satellite junk, that must fall one day? --Name one other Natural inhabitant this this planet that even does one of those.
Have you ever seen a forest with an overpopulation of deer in the winter? How about the damage elephants do to the evironment? A herd of either can strip a large section of ground in short order. Or beavers blocking off a stream and flooding large areas of land, as well as gnawing off stands of young trees?

All animals take from the environment and leave their own kinds of garbage. The problems come when there are too many of them doing what they do.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Have you ever seen a forest with an overpopulation of deer in the winter? How about the damage elephants do to the evironment? A herd of either can strip a large section of ground in short order. Or beavers blocking off a stream and flooding large areas of land, as well as gnawing off stands of young trees?

All animals take from the environment and leave their own kinds of garbage. The problems come when there are too many of them doing what they do.
I forget the Humans have put them selves up as Gods, that should dictate how other beings should live, and to "Control" their numbers for their own good. How foolish of me. We even control each other, for our own saftey.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I forget the Humans have put them selves up as Gods, that should dictate how other beings should live, and to "Control" their numbers for their own good. How foolish of me. We even control each other, for our own saftey.
No, we are playing EXACTLY by nature's rules. The strongest survive, dominate the landscape and then go extinct after eating everything in sight.

Nature then cleans up the mess over millions of years and the process starts over again.

You don't really think mother nature is a fluffy, friendly bunny hugger do you? She's really a heartless *****, despite being a beautiful babe. She'll survive us...we can only hurt ourselves.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
No, we are playing EXACTLY by nature's rules. The strongest survive, dominate the landscape and then go extinct after eating everything in sight.

Nature then cleans up the mess over millions of years and the process starts over again.

You don't really think mother nature is a fluffy, friendly bunny hugger do you? She's really a heartless *****, despite being a beautiful babe. She'll survive us...we can only hurt ourselves.
the strongest, is not always the one who can kill the most. the strongest, can also protect the weak from the killers. Being the strongest docent dictate that we should be overbearing. We should be the good stewards of our planet, not the plunders. ---I have always had the minority view on this, cause we even created a God, that we are in the image of. How convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates