Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
the strongest, is not always the one who can kill the most. the strongest, can also protect the weak from the killers. Being the strongest docent dictate that we should be overbearing. We should be the good stewards of our planet, not the plunders. ---I have always had the minority view on this, cause we even created a God, that we are in the image of. How convenient.
So what you should be arguing is that we should rise above our nature, not that we should be more true to our nature...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
So what you should be arguing is that we should rise above our nature, not that we should be more true to our nature...
Darn good question---We have a catch 22 I fear. Our "Nature," just might turn out to be Unnatural to our present environment. I have come to the conclusion, that we just don't seem to be like other Natural creatures on this planet. We say we have "evolved", yet we are more needy than all the rest of the beings here. We need clothes and housing to survive the climate. We need jobs, and must plant our food. Our Children must be taught everything. If we evolve for the better, then why is are evolution in the opposite direction? --why do we have Wars? Why must we ravage the Forests, rather than to just live in them? And why did we even create religions to mess with our minds even more.---all in roughly 5000 years. Boils down to --"Beats me, I have no clue"--but lots of unanswered questions I've had for decades.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Darn good question---We have a catch 22 I fear. Our "Nature," just might turn out to be Unnatural to our present environment. I have come to the conclusion, that we just don't seem to be like other Natural creatures on this planet. We say we have "evolved", yet we are more needy than all the rest of the beings here. We need clothes and housing to survive the climate. We need jobs, and must plant our food. Our Children must be taught everything. If we evolve for the better, then why is are evolution in the opposite direction? --why do we have Wars? Why must we ravage the Forests, rather than to just live in them? And why did we even create religions to mess with our minds even more.---all in roughly 5000 years. Boils down to --"Beats me, I have no clue"--but lots of unanswered questions I've had for decades.
Well, we are definitely native to this planet. We are built pretty much the same way (same general bone structure, guts, body systems and functions, ect) and with the same building blocks of life that other animals here are made of. We fit in quite nicely with primates too, having finger nails, stereoscopic vision, very similar tooth and jaw and bone structure as well as large brain porportionate to our bodies. I brought this up before in another thread but you can see the clear family resemblance when you look at a hairless chimpanzee. hairless chimpanzee - Google Images

Being hairless mammals in and of itself isn't weird; there are plenty of others especially in hot, dry places like central Africa. It is unusual that we are bipedal, but still not alien. There are dozens of species with even more strange adaptations. The scientific explanation for our minds is simple; other animals got the edge with tooth and claw, but we accomplished the same goal by getting smarter. At some point, the mind became our most important asset and evolutionary pressures pushed us to get smarter and smarter as a species.

So, in the end you have a really smart hairless, bipedal monkey that depends on tools to survive. To me, it seems natural that monkey would do well, spread across the world, develop extemely complicated tools and eventually grow too big in numbers.

We don't live in the forest because there are too many of us to successfully make lives that way, but we can make more humans by turning the forests to cities and farms (for better and worse). We lost touch with nature because we ended up depending more on our tools than natural cycles. We need to be taught everything because we are a creature that survives on wit not strength but still need to fit through a teeny weenie birth canal because we walk on two legs. But we are still creatures of this world.

I still think god fits in there somehow, though, but that is a debate for another forum I suppose.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Darn good question---We have a catch 22 I fear. Our "Nature," just might turn out to be Unnatural to our present environment.
The orgional human condition is small hunter-gatherer bands, and it's been too soon (evolutionary speaking) to evolve away from that, so I think there is truth to your statement.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 PM

Name one Native Animal, that must wear shoes.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Name one Native Animal, that must wear shoes.
Horses that are carrying loads, be it people or gear, especially on rocky terrain. They will wear their hooves off otherwise. But on generally soft, flat grasslands (their natural environment) with no one on their back they don't.

Likewise, humans don't need shoes in their natural environment. When you think of African tribesmen, do you think of Nikes? People can grow calluses just as thick as any animal, but we don't if the environment (in our sneakers) doesn't "encourage it"

But we are out of our natural environment anywhere it gets cold. Thats where our tool making abilities come into play. They let us colonize areas we couldn't have lived in otherwise, thereby giving the species a perk in the game of survival.

But, once our tool (in this case shoes) gets us there, we are dependent on it. So instead of evolving a better foot, we design a better shoe, since it's the easier way.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:26 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
As far as smarter....that is only based on the standards we set based on the human condition.
Perhaps since other creatures don't do all the self destructive things we do, they are the smarter ones.
Just because we don't know to communicate with them and learn doesn't mean there isn't an equal or even superior intelligence among all creatures.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Horses that are carrying loads, be it people or gear, especially on rocky terrain. They will wear their hooves off otherwise. But on generally soft, flat grasslands (their natural environment) with no one on their back they don't.

Likewise, humans don't need shoes in their natural environment. When you think of African tribesmen, do you think of Nikes? People can grow calluses just as thick as any animal, but we don't if the environment (in our sneakers) doesn't "encourage it"

But we are out of our natural environment anywhere it gets cold. Thats where our tool making abilities come into play. They let us colonize areas we couldn't have lived in otherwise, thereby giving the species a perk in the game of survival.

But, once our tool (in this case shoes) gets us there, we are dependent on it. So instead of evolving a better foot, we design a better shoe, since it's the easier way.
So then--how did horses get along, till Men decided to put shoes on them? The Comanche did not shod their ponies.----The need to make tools is the problem. why do other Natural being to this planet have no need for tools. Monkeys stickin a stick in an ant hill don't count. Natural beings to Earth, Eat,sleep, reproduce, and repeat the process. The simplist form, is the higher level of evolution. Complicated, does not equate to improvement.

Last edited by Thaskateguy; 12-07-2009 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 03:14 PM

114 posts, read 200,118 times
Gonna get hated on for this, BUT, I know good and Bad stuff Mankind did.

Good:

Clean, Renewable Energy.
Discovered how to use Fire for Survival.
Farming.
Peace.
Entertainment.
Playable Music (Instruments)
Pollution (Without it the world's couldn't adapate to it)
Climate change (Without this world would in a continous boring loop)

Bad:

Religion
Extinction
Nuclear Weapons
Over-Survival (Hunting, Fishing, Logging.)

So far i have more good then bad.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
So then--how did horses get along, till Men decided to put shoes on them". the Comanche did not shod their ponies.
First off, the horses the Commanche rode were brought here from Europe. In America, they didn't get along before man, they came with him.

But the great plains is similar to the native environment the horses' ancestors came from (soft[ish] dirt and grassland), and most plains tribes kept 100s of horses at a time, so they could afford to pick and choose horses, which kept it from being necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates