Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:36 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times

Advertisements

Why is it that most lawmakers and anti gun zelots can't see the difference between a Lawabiding gunowner that uses the weapon responsibly. And vicious thugs or out of control idiots that want only to seek thrills and distruction and when they are caught, get slaps on the wrist. Why don't the lawmakers sell the posessions of a murderer/violent gun criminal- to pay restitution?
Instead they want to make it as hard as possible on real americans that obey the laws and let the criminal element run rampant?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I don't see a difference. If you want a gun, then you're an idiot.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:56 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Really? Are you serious?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Why is it that most lawmakers and anti gun zelots can't see the difference between a Lawabiding gunowner that uses the weapon responsibly. And vicious thugs or out of control idiots that want only to seek thrills and distruction and when they are caught, get slaps on the wrist. Why don't the lawmakers sell the posessions of a murderer/violent gun criminal- to pay restitution?
Instead they want to make it as hard as possible on real americans that obey the laws and let the criminal element run rampant?
Why is it that most lawmakers and anti car zelots can't see the difference between a Lawabiding car-owner that uses the vehicle responsibly. And vicious thugs or out of control idiots that want only to seek thrills and when they are caught, get slaps on the wrist. Why don't the lawmakers sell the posessions of a car criminal- to pay restitution?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:23 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
You have to remember that America has more guns in circulation than any other industrialized nation. Other countries have around 1 gun to every 10 (maybe 5) people. we have almost one gun per person and those are just the ones we know about. Look at our crime rates: we are the most murderous industrialized nation on earth. I can't help but think that there's a correlation between these two things...

Old 12-13-2009, 08:25 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
you live in Wyoming which has fairly laxed gun laws, so what is your complaint?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:36 PM

164 posts, read 298,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Old 12-13-2009, 09:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
You have to remember that America has more guns in circulation than any other industrialized nation. Other countries have around 1 gun to every 10 (maybe 5) people. we have almost one gun per person and those are just the ones we know about. Look at our crime rates: we are the most murderous industrialized nation on earth. I can't help but think that there's a correlation between these two things...
Statistics don't work very well to make that kind of comparson. The US has about 13 times more guns per capita than Colombia, but Colombia has 20 times as many firearm-related homicides as the US. Which means Colombia has about 250 times as many firearm homicides per gun than the US does. However, it is true that the the USA ranks #1 in guns per capita, and #8 in firearm-related homicides per capita (South Africa is first). In most countries, though, there is no correlation.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Why is there this objection to guns? All my friends own and use guns, and I find them a necessity for target practice and hunting. I have no desire to shoot at any person and never have. Yet if the situation presents itself to prevent another person from harming me it is good to have.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:06 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Shadowwalker asked about lawmakers and those ordinary citizens with anti-gun views. I think the second group provides the reasons for the first to make more restrictive laws. Many people seem to favor simplistic solutions to complex problems. This applies to many issues, not just guns. Teenagers getting pregnant? Pass out condoms at school (or, conversely, teach abstinence in sex education classes). Pretty awful to think about what can happen to someone in an auto accident, right? So require people to wear seatbelts. Same with making drugs illegal because what they can do to people is pretty bad. Prostitution offends my moral values? Make it illegal. And so forth.

The same simplistic reasoning, such as it is, leads to the idea that because it's awful when someone is shot to death we should ban guns (or severely restrict their use or whatever) and that will solve our violent crime problem. I also can't help but have a sneaking suspicion that there are some people who are uncomfortable around guns who may sort of envy those who can handle guns with confidence, so they want to restrict use of guns out of this envy. Just a theory, and I'm not saying it applies to everyone with an anti-gun slant, so don't all take it personally, those of you C-D users with said anti-gun slant.

So that leads around to the lawmakers. As long as there are people who see simplistic actions as the solution to complex problems, politicians will have no reluctance to court votes by taking simplistic actions, such as banning this, restricting that, etc., as a way of presenting the appearance that they are really accomplishing something the voters want done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates