Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----" who cannot see 10 feet in front of them "--

My Minnesota drivers license has to be renewed every 4 years.
An eye test is given.

Is this not done in most states ?
As it should be, it is regulated by the individual states. Wisconsin license is good for 8 years and can be renewed by mail. Florida, 6 years, can be renewed by mail, even if you live in another state. I have a Florida license with an out-of-state address on it, and a 12-year old photograph. Of course, there are no old people if Florida. I have two valid drivers licenses and a photo state-ID, from three different states.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:35 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I noticed that ( some/most? ) older people drive slower and they hit the brake when there is no need to do that. I know plenty of younger folks that has bad eyesight and do nothing about it. But I am also worried about people under an influence of strong medications that make them sleepy or slower their reaction time, and those diagnosed with seizures, dementia or psychical disorders that made them hear voices or see things. Yes, they all are allowed to drive.....

Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I noticed that ( some/most? ) older people drive slower and they hit the brake when there is no need to do that. I know plenty of younger folks that has bad eyesight and do nothing about it. But I am also worried about people under an influence of strong medications that make them sleepy or slower their reaction time, and those diagnosed with seizures, dementia or psychical disorders that made them hear voices or see things. Yes, they all are allowed to drive.....
This has been debated in OZ for years but most states have a mandatory test at aged 75, this includes eye test, reflexes and balance. Having said that personally i think everyone should be tested at maybe 10yrs intervals as so many people are on medication, leisure drugs and develop bad habits. Most accidents here are caused by speeding youth but the minute an older person is involved in an accident it is headline news and calls for the elderly to give up their license.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
In the case of eyesight, ophthalmologists are obliged to report to the Licensing Bureau the name of any patient who, in their opinion, is no longer capable of driving safely. Not all do, but there is a directive asking them to cooperate with the licensing agency. However, I question whether this is a violation of doctor-patient confidentiality.

My cousin had his DL suspended after his eye doctor reported him.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
I was jsut rear ended in Sarasota, Fl. maybe 2 months ago. There were 7 cars in front of me at a red light on the off ramp to the highway. All of a sudden a little sports car hits me, he was going maybe 25/30. Come to find out it was a 79 year man that fell asleep at the wheel, it was 7 in the morning ! Yea you got my vote test the old, the can be dangerous. He said he must have nodded off exiting the highway, uh huh.....

Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In the case of eyesight, ophthalmologists are obliged to report to the Licensing Bureau the name of any patient who, in their opinion, is no longer capable of driving safely. Not all do, but there is a directive asking them to cooperate with the licensing agency. However, I question whether this is a violation of doctor-patient confidentiality.

My cousin had his DL suspended after his eye doctor reported him.
I guess some do, some not. I know someone, a Viet vet who got the real bad side effects of Orange Agent, is diabetic and recently blind as a bat. His doctor knows that the guy has seizures, fall in diabetic coma and can see only shadows, takes multiple psych medications, have auditory hallucinations and post-traumatic stress disorder.
He drives!
I asked his wife why she let him drive, and she said that she does not have "the heart" to take the keys away from him.
Go figure ...

Old 01-11-2010, 06:43 PM

25,734 posts, read 18,809,520 times
I like all the anecdotal evidence here. Unfortunately for you 'old goat bashers,' the statistics do not support your stance. Overwhelmingly, by state statistics, you will read this over and over in driving fatality and crash reports: On a per population basis, drivers under the age of 25 had the highest rate of involvement in fatal crashes of any age group.

What sort of test do you propose giving these folks? An IQ test?

Sorry gang, given the choice, I'd far prefer to share the roads with grandma and grandpa, rather than the 16 - 25 year olds. I'm statistically safer. And if you overlook your bias, you'd feel the same.

Last edited by ChrisC; 01-11-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Why not require a road test every time you renew the license?

Only problem I see with that are people who don't have a car to begin with--who would provide the car for such a test? Do we claim someone is unable to do something simply because they don't do it?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:51 PM

25,734 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Actually that's not a bad idea. In fact, it's a great one. No age bias or discrimination there--one either knows how to drive or not. Everyone is tested the same.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Only problem I see with that are people who don't have a car to begin with--who would provide the car for such a test? Do we claim someone is unable to do something simply because they don't do it?
If they don't have car - they don't need a Drivers License. When they buy a car, then they need to apply for a license and take the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.