Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:53 AM

867 posts, read 2,139,610 times

Advertisements

It is really sad, what has America come to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 11:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Here's my favorite. The guy in the TV ad who can eat a whole pizza at 11-pm, because he has taken a drug that will prevent acid reflux.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here's my favorite. The guy in the TV ad who can eat a whole pizza at 11-pm, because he has taken a drug that will prevent acid reflux.
Oh I can top that! The advertisement where grandma can't open her pill bottle and her grandson helps her open it and then take 4 or 5 of her pills for himself behind her back and THEN gives the bottle to grandma. She proceeds to say to him "You're such a good grandson."

Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Oh I can top that! The advertisement where grandma can't open her pill bottle and her grandson helps her open it and then take 4 or 5 of her pills for himself behind her back and THEN gives the bottle to grandma. She proceeds to say to him "You're such a good grandson."
There's really an ad that does that? For what product? I know that the whole concept of "child-proof" containers that only children can open, is quite a hilarious joke.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There's really an ad that does that? For what product? I know that the whole concept of "child-proof" containers that only children can open, is quite a hilarious joke.
LOL it was shown alot in the Midwest when I was there. It was letting parents and grandparents know of their children use of their drugs to get high. Oh, and the other one shows a drug dealer was complaining he was going out of business because the kids were getting drugs from the parents ... that he was not their suppler; the parents were. Now THAT one was FUUUUUUNY.

I know you heard of Pharmecutical Parties, right? This is were teens have stolen from their parents or use some of their own prescribed medication and take them to a party and fill a punch bowl with them. And after they have gotten drunk they grab a handful from the puncbowl and take them to get even higher, wild sex and the like. The person that told me was shocked that children were doing that but I was shocked that so many parents are on sooo many drugs that the children could fill up a punch bowl.. a punch bowl is NOT small. And whose house are these parties held, must be a parent there unless they are renting their own facilities which I doubt.

Last edited by eyewrist; 01-24-2010 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
LOL it was shown alot in the Midwest when I was there. It was letting parents and grandparents know of their children use of their drugs to get high. Oh, and the other one shows a drug dealer was complaining he was going out of business because the kids were getting drugs from the parents ... that he was not their suppler; the parents were. Now THAT one was FUUUUUUNY.

I know you heard of Pharmecutical Parties, right? This is were teens have stolen from their parents or use some of their own prescribed medication and take them to a party and fill a punch bowl with them. And after they have gotten drunk they grab a handful from the puncbowl and take them to get even higher, wild sex and the like. The person that told me was shocked that children were doing that but I was shocked that so many parents are on sooo many drugs that the children could fill up a punch bowl.. a punch bowl is NOT small. And whose house are these parties held, must be a parent there unless they are renting their own facilities which I doubt.
Pill parties are something new? I remember hearing about them regular like all through school K-12. They were big doings in the 70's, dropped off a little inthe 80's(you just didn't hear about them as much, they were still prevelant) and now it's daily news again, and being talked about like it's a brand new thing

Old 01-25-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Pill parties are something new? I remember hearing about them regular like all through school K-12. They were big doings in the 70's, dropped off a little inthe 80's(you just didn't hear about them as much, they were still prevelant) and now it's daily news again, and being talked about like it's a brand new thing
I never heard of them. I was in college in the early 80s and attended parties with Fruit Bowl made from watermelons full of fruit that was soaked in vodka and or gin. Yea, people were smoking weed and drinking then or should I say that I knew about. When I graduated, drugs on campus was just getting popular among the masses.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:24 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
I think it's deeply immoral that drug companies are allowed to run TV advertisements promoting their prescription-only, side-effect-ridden pharmaceutical drugs. This causes people to think of these dangerous substances in terms of anything else (like food) that gets advertised on TV.

As doctors note, every time a pharma company rolls out an ad campaign for a new drug, they get a surge in requests or outright demands for that drug, even when it is completely inappropriate (or even outright toxic) for many patients - and patients get angry when they are turned down.

Here is an ad from 2000 for Vioxx, which was - of course - later withdrawn from the market over concerns that it caused heart problems in patients:

Vioxx TV Ad (2000)

When you let pharma companies run drug ads sandwiched between ads for cars and ads for takeout pizza, it sends a powerful message that these drugs are simply another consumer product to be passed around and experimented with.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:11 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Is their a way for law enforcement agencies to monitor prescriptions for obvious fraud and misuse? This could help catch both those who "doctor shop" and the doctors who write unnecessary prescriptions.

Law enforcement also needs to come down hard on the "pain relief clinics" in places like Florida and we also need to ban the sale of drugs via the internet, even to those who have a legitimate prescription.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Is their a way for law enforcement agencies to monitor prescriptions for obvious fraud and misuse? This could help catch both those who "doctor shop" and the doctors who write unnecessary prescriptions.

Law enforcement also needs to come down hard on the "pain relief clinics" in places like Florida and we also need to ban the sale of drugs via the internet, even to those who have a legitimate prescription.
I have a friend who is a RN. And his constant complaint is that the biggest dope dealers is the doctors. He said the healthcare field can easily come up with a database that could tell them the patient's name SSN and address. This would stop the patient from doctor hopping in order to get additional meds. The simple fact is they..do.. NOT..want..to..stop ...it. with an addicted person , you will always have money coming in; a permanent customer. If insurance companies ever stop paying for these meds, we are in a whole of trouble America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates