Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,600,291 times

Advertisements

From what I have been noticing is that drugs, both pharmecutical and illegal is running rampant in both the poor and rich neighborhoods. Just today I went to see a patient and before my car alarm could set itself someone went through my back door of my car to get to the trunk. I guest hoping to find drug container because I wear scrubs so they assumed I was a nurse LOL!!! And this is a neighborhood was a very good neighborhood with homes upward of 600,000 on the lake!

The patients are addicted to pain meds, children are stealing drugs from their parents and grand parents without their knowledge and going to Pharm Parties, children on meds by the age of 5 This drugs problem is going to ruin this nation...and quickly.

What the HECK IS GOING ON!!!!! Our we that mess up that we need drugs for everything or are the pharmecutical companies creating this problem? I feel sorry for the next generation coming up...you all are in trouble!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Even though there is over prescribing going on to some degree, blame that on the American psyche of just wanting a pill to fix things instead of dealing with things like behavior issues, drugging people instead of getting kids enrolled in after school activities, or those who have medical life style illnesses they refuse to do anything about. There are people who actually need medications to stay alive...let alone function in a reasonable manner.

Not everyone who takes medicine of some sort is a wacked out drug abuser that roves in bands looking for medications to steal form people's cars.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 PM

79 posts, read 205,052 times
Pain killer addiction is a big problem where I live, too. We have quite a few pill mills where one can go in and get pretty much any kind of drug that one wants...this makes it difficult for those of us who do have chronic pain and take the medications as prescribed.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:58 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Pain pills are easy to come by in Florida, or so I've read.

Personally, I don't take anything man made, with the exception of beer and other alcoholic beverages from time to time.

This is what happens when everything is outlawed, that doesn't harm you.

To quote the song "White Rabbit"

"One pill makes you larger, one pill makes you small. And the ones that mother gives you, don't do anything at all"

Its made it so that people think the OTC drugs are safe for you. When in reality, they are worse then anything made from nature.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,600,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Pain pills are easy to come by in Florida, or so I've read.

Personally, I don't take anything man made, with the exception of beer and other alcoholic beverages from time to time.

This is what happens when everything is outlawed, that doesn't harm you.

To quote the song "White Rabbit"

"One pill makes you larger, one pill makes you small. And the ones that mother gives you, don't do anything at all"

Its made it so that people think the OTC drugs are safe for you. When in reality, they are worse then anything made from nature.
I take herbs also. And the more I see the patients addicted to pain meds, even staff making excuses why they will always need their meds, the more glad I get when I chose to use herbs as my cure of choice. At least I get some nutrition from them also. I guess the pharm companies will begin to set up more drug rehab facilites so they can give them more drugs to get off drugs Boy, it's getting scary out there...it's really, really bad.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 PM

648 posts, read 1,175,048 times
I agree... and I am beyond sick of it too. So tired of hearing about 9 out of every 10 people, and their grandmother, being hooked on drugs. And then all the dramatic tales of celebrities and other wanna-be famous people coming clean... (bragging..?) about 'I was a hardcore drug user/alcoholic...My harrowing brush with death from drugs! etc.. '. ....No, really? I can't believe it. I'm so shocked,, you're the first person ever to//... BORING!!! yaaaawwn.... what else is new. And these are the people that everyone tries to emulate.......?? scary.

I wish America would get its sheeT together,, pull itself up by the bootstraps and buck up, grow up..... quit whining about how hard life is without your precious drugs and get over it already. Are we just gonna let ourselves crumble?? I don't get it. It's basic self-preservation people.... hello, drugs rot your brain and body.. simple as that. Do we really need any more examples? And why would you want to do that to yourself? Life isn't tough enough as it is.. you gotta make it 100x tougher?? Or do you just wanna be a junky so you can look cool like everyone else...? live on the edge? get some extra attention....? What is it..........?!

So YES it is the evil drugs companies' and drug dealers' fault but YES it is the fault of the people themselves. Only parents now can change things, by what kind of example they set for their kids and how they raise them. We are just coming off the edge of the free love/free drug/ experimentation// if-it-feels-good-do-it generation(s).. and guess what? That stuff didn't work.... it was mostly a disaster. So now what..? we have to find a better way. We've seen what drugs can do... we know all about addiction.... and now drugs are everywhere, we are surrounded. So it's a matter of teaching kids while they're young that drugs are stupid.. don't put them in positions where they are exposed to it (I know, nearly impossible, right?)... keep an eye on them, be involved, talk to them.
Don't create a vacuum where you are too busy to give them much attention and they end up having to raise themselves. But teach them a good work ethic and basic common decency.. that life is a gift and time is precious... their health and a sound mind are precious... these things are not to be squandered. It's not all about self-indulgence and partying all the time to fill the boredom. Do all you can, and hopefully they have good common sense and and built-in survival skills, because the rest is up to them.

I also believe that the abolition of child labor long ago, and the end of an era that was mostly agricultural and small family business-oriented.. created a void in young peoples' lives.. so now they have too much time sitting around looking to be entertained, and a loss of a sense of purpose and being part of the bigger picture (extended family/community.. etc.)
I think young people should be put to work and have jobs to do. The fact that they don't, is a big part of the problem.... (not to mention making them fat!)

As for those with legitimate problems that cause painkiller addiction... (those are the only ones I feel bad for)... all one can do is try to avoid addiction.. or once they are, work hard to get off it. Don't go down the slippery slope.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I just noticed a sign in the lobby of my door that anyone requesting painkilers because they were looss or stolen will not get a new script.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 PM

527 posts, read 1,324,396 times
Of course there is an issue with prescription drug use in american society. If you look at how we decided to market prescription drugs to the american public then it is no surprise that we have dug ourselves this deep hole. There is no reason why prescription drugs should be advertised on the television, tv, iphone, etc as if they were the hottest new track from [insert your favorite artist here]. I think there is reform in the future for this sector of government.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
What part of the private sector is not out of control? Insurance? Advertising? Electronics? Automotive? Entertainment? Real estate? Pets? Junk food?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:10 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
Prescribing drugs makes companies money. And we are suckers for it.

I also agree with previous posters when it comes to (what appears to be) the American mindset that we need a pill for everything.

A pill to sleep
A pill to wakeup
A pill to be happy
A pill to be sad
A pill to use the bathroom
A pill keep us calm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates