Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:33 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
But she also spoiled her kids and mae weaklings out of them . The greatist generation came back from war and forgot what they were fighting for . Many went into politics and helped the fems and libs destroy everything they fought for and some of their buddies died for .
Oh good! Another post blaming the mother for their kids turning out as weaklings. People make their own choices.....no one MAKES you weak, you choose to do that all on your own. A mother is supposed to nurture....if a person turns out to be lazy and weak, that's their own fault! It's called choices and accountability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Funny. I have ADD, take Ritalin, and have never been "zombied" out on it. But what would I know?
In all fairness....there is a dosage factor. I HAVE seen many people (mostly children) who are "zombied out" on Ritalin, however, I have seen many folks that you would never know were on it, because the dosage is correct!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I can't remember who said it but it was something about how we look fondly at the past because all we have are our memories of when we were children. Childhood memories, regardless of what the time, are going to be simplistic and often seem "nicer" because we didn't have adult concerns.

We think our childhoods were better because we were children. That is all.
It might have been the Daily Show:

Video: Even Better Than the Real Thing | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

Old 02-25-2010, 08:40 AM

19,621 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
No way. I was 10 in 1958. I saw what life was like for my Mom and other women. Would I want to be an adult woman in those times? Not a chance.
It really depends. In middle class America those moms did not have to work. Mine helped my father run a business and took care of the home and kids. She had plenty of neighborhood friends and they would watch each other's kids. The adults would get dressed up and go out together for dinner and a show and there would be a teenage sitter. There was lots of socializing and coffee and card games and barbeques. It was a much less stressful time for women in general. As we got older most of those moms got jobs, some of them managerial. One of my mother's friends was a "lady cop". It's not like women could not work.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:46 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,378 times
I don't really see how you can ignore the sexism, racism and discrimination...

It's like saying "man the 1940s in Europe was a great time... (of course other than hilter and the nazi's rampaging across the continent)"

Old 02-27-2010, 08:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
A few alternative scenarios I bet the OP never considered:

1957: All the new kids gather around the playground after school because they heard the school bully was going to whoop that new "negro kid" that was now being allowed to attend their school since the schools were desegregated. The principal never interferes with fights because he takes the attitude that "boys will just be boys" even when they are violent and acting out because of racial prejudice.

2010: When the principal learns that some of the kids are acting out of racial prejudice towards a new kid in school, he schedules a meeting at his office with the boys and their parents explaining that if the boys bully the new kid they will be suspended from school under the "no tolerance" policy that has gone into effect. The boys grudgingly leave the new child alone.

1957 Ann is home with pneumonia because she got sick waiting for the school bus in January. The school dress code requires girls to wear dresses and dresses don't keep you very warm in January. Parents have complained about this. However, the school board is adamant that girls should not wear pants to school because that is too "immodest". She misses five days of school before she is able to go back and falls behind in math.

2010: The principal is happy with the attendance statistics at his school. It seems that with immunizations, CHIPS (child health insurance program), and so forth the rate of sickness among students is declining. Teachers have commented that with the school breakfast program that almost all their kids seem alert and able to learn early in the morning.

1957: Sally comes home from school in tears again. "Why do boys get to have all the fun?" she hollers. Her mother doesn't know what to say. Sally was told at junior high school that there were no sports open for girls. Sports are for the boys. Although, she was told she could belong to the school "pep club" if she wanted. Late that night, Sally dreams the impossible dream of one day becoming an Olympic runner.

2010: Principal Jones presents a trophy to Amy at an assembly. It seems that Amy has won the cross country track meet that's part of the state competition this year. Amy's parents and grandparents are in the audience and you can just see the pride on their faces as Principal Jones hands Amy the big silver cup. "I never thought this day would come", murmurs Amy's grandmother (Sally Smith) who is sitting in the front row with tears running down her eyes.

1957: John and his mother are at the hospital emergency room. It seems John broke his arm. John tells the ER physician a carefully rehearsed story (that his mother told him to tell) about falling out of a tree in the front yard. The reality is quite different. John's father got drunk and came home angry that he found his son's bicycle in the driveway. He started beating John and in the process broke his arm. The ER physician suspects that the story about falling out the tree is not true, but he has been told by other doctors that "its best to ignore some things", so he accepts the story and treats John's arm. John returns to his home with an abusive and often drunk father.

2010. The emergency room doctor who examines John suspects child abuse. He knows the law makes him criminally responsible if he does not report it. He contacts DYFS. This contact results in the temporary removal of John from his home. His father is forced to undergo alcohol rehabilitation and anger management courses. He is also told if he doesn't straighten up his act, he'll never see his son again. Under this pressure, the father gives up drinking and learns to control his temper. The family is reunited and John now lives in a safe home.

You can idealize anything. The reality is that the "good ole days" weren't so good for many. Some things are definitely overdone in my opinion. I think the fear of terrorism has reached a point of irrationality. Its true too many parents are afraid to spank or discipline their children when they should. However, none of the changes the OP frets about occurred in a vaccuum. They were all a response to problems in society that needed to be dealt with.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:00 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
' Sadly, how times have changed'

REPLY: The umbrella which all this falls under is simply this : A desire to not honor God as Creator nor to allow his influence of moral mandates in the USA any longer. In other words....'Get out of my life God , Ive already got my god ; me and whatever fun I enjoy' .

(and before someone says that this entry belongs in 'the religious forum' , it does IN ADDITION to this thread)

Old 03-08-2010, 01:40 PM

67 posts, read 165,371 times
I guess 19 is geriatric now?

Old 03-08-2010, 03:38 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
' Sadly, how times have changed'

REPLY: The umbrella which all this falls under is simply this : A desire to not honor God as Creator nor to allow his influence of moral mandates in the USA any longer. In other words....'Get out of my life God , Ive already got my god ; me and whatever fun I enjoy' .

(and before someone says that this entry belongs in 'the religious forum' , it does IN ADDITION to this thread)
Nearly my entire family is either Atheist, or Pagan. Yet... we all lead normal lives, we're all law abiding citizens and we have a very close family circle (and that includes Uncle Craig and Uncle Mark and their two children )

I don't think your 'god' has anything to do with times changing. Especially considering the VAST majority of people currently in prison are confessed Christians. People are people and are going to do messed up things regardless of their faith.

And please, don't use the 'no true Scotsman' argument.

If things were currently more like the fifties, I'd be in a wheelchair and miserable because they didn't have a treatment for my disorder. I'm pretty happy to be living in the time I am.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:08 PM

273 posts, read 700,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
I vote to have ONE catch-all thread where all the geriatrics can go to complain "how the world is going to shiite and things sure aren't how they used to be". We get it, you are like every generation of geriatrics before you. They always complain about things getting worse, while conveniently ignoring all of the areas where quality of life has improved.

Of course, when you are that old, it is harder to look forward. There is an aversion to the future, because the future entails a world without you in it. It is much more comfortable to be nostalgic about the past, especially with a revisionist history developed to make you feel good.

Change happens. The world is going to move on. We as a species are constantly becoming more self-aware of our lives here and what it means to be human.
LOL I like the OP and the scenarios and you’re being so negative over a fun thread,

Maybe we should ask Shirley McClain she’s lived enough lives at different points to probably tell us if things have gotten better or worse.

Hmm it’s a fun post lighten up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates