Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:39 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Their pronunciation can be funnier It often gives AAs away on the radio.
Like post above give away a predilection for posting on Stormfront?

Old 02-22-2010, 01:59 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Like post above give away a predilection for posting on Stormfront?
Ah, no I don't like that site.
I did not mean it in a negative way, but to me the way AAs pronounce for instance certain vowels is simply different compared to white people. It is just an observation, just like you can tell immediately when an Indian speaks English, they have that extreme r sound.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:01 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Ah, no I don't like that site.
I did not mean it in a negative way, but to me the way AAs pronounce for instance certain vowels is simply different compared to white people. It is just an observation, just like you can tell immediately when an Indian speaks English, they have the extreme r sound.
You are stereotyping all around. Two people of different race/ethnic backgrounds who grew up in the same neighborhood and grew up in a similar manner will have the similar voice inflections.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
That may well be, but many black people still grow up among other black people for whatever reason. And they learn their mother tongue from their own parents before they get to school, so it is kind of "inherited" I suppose.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Education is a possible factor. AA women usually have more post-secondary education than their AA male counterparts. It is also more "cool" and acceptable for AA males to use "black" english more. This from an insider.
I have actually noticed that my BF, who is AA, changes the way he speaks depending on the person he's speaking with or the environment. The way he speaks in his professional environment is completely different from the way he speaks with, say his nephews or one of "the boys". I think It's more of a "cool" factor you mentioned above than education because even educated ones do this.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
I have actually noticed that my BF, who is AA, changes the way he speaks depending on the person he's speaking with or the environment. The way he speaks in his professional environment is completely different from the way he speaks with, say his nephews or one of "the boys". I think It's more of a "cool" factor you mentioned above than education because even educated ones do this.

i have always noticed the same thing. white southerners speak one way around each other, one way around southern blacks, and a 3rd way around everyone else. for most people it is subtle, but some people make huge adjustments.

being a white guy, i don't have the same sort of inside knowledge of southern blacks. but, i recently read a book written by a linguist in California (ebonics supporter, i think), about the history of language in South Carolina. She pointed out studies that show rural southern blacks used one dialect amongst themselves, and a different one around whites. she observed young (12 or 13 y/o) black girls in SC, who would read and write in more standard english, but when they'd read their own words aloud to the all-black classroom, they would shift to a more african dialect, with traditional african-american conjugations and sentence structure.

now, as far as the OP's question goes -- i'd be very surprised if gender plays into it. i think you just noticed one family.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i have always noticed the same thing. white southerners speak one way around each other, one way around southern blacks, and a 3rd way around everyone else. for most people it is subtle, but some people make huge adjustments.

being a white guy, i don't have the same sort of inside knowledge of southern blacks. but, i recently read a book written by a linguist in California (ebonics supporter, i think), about the history of language in South Carolina. She pointed out studies that show rural southern blacks used one dialect amongst themselves, and a different one around whites. she observed young (12 or 13 y/o) black girls in SC, who would read and write in more standard english, but when they'd read their own words aloud to blacks, they would naturally shift to a more african dialect.
i'm a white guy...33 years old. spent alot of my early youth in pretty diverse areas in houston, tx.

i recognize that when i'm around a predominately black crowd, my speech immitates those of whom i'm conversing with...and same goes when i'm spending time with my family in the hollows of West Virginia!! also, the same applies when i'm spending time with family in Fort Worth, TX!!

i don't believe it's a consious thing, it just flows out of my mouth effortlessly...

i think this is a common thing, and people just don't recognize they're doing it...untill a thread like this pops up and it makes you think...yep, i'm one of those types of people.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
How did the father talk to the son? Or is everything the woman's fault?
He was most likely not in the picture at all. Very typical pattern.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post

You are right. I work with almost exclusively black females here in Memphis, and we have had a few discussions about this. They straight up tell me that they can turn it on and off, just like that, depending on who they are speaking with. It is a cultural thing for sure.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:02 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You are right. I work with almost exclusively black females here in Memphis, and we have had a few discussions about this. They straight up tell me that they can turn it on and off, just like that, depending on who they are speaking with. It is a cultural thing for sure.
I am a black female and I most certainly do not change my speech pattern ever. My initial guess about you is that you work in a low-class environment, and as such associate with low class people. You very well may not be equipped to tell the difference. What do you do for a living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates