Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
To you, which job is the most meaningful, and for what reason?

Being a Father. The reasons should be obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 05:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post

The closest description would be every cabinet position in a government.
Under-Secretaries do all the heavy lifting. The Secretary is just a front man who steers the politics of the department and takes all the flak, like the P-R man.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Because you provided genetic material? Because kids can get by without their fathers just fine, other than that.

In fact, they can get by just fine without either parent, and are often better off without them.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:24 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,859 times
EMS/EMT.

Often quite a thankless job, they do a lot of the hard work before they get a person to the hospital, like keeping people alive, talking to them so they don't black out, etc. Their impact is probably a lot larger than one would think.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:24 PM

806 posts, read 2,883,766 times
Quote:
Under-Secretaries do all the heavy lifting. The Secretary is just a front man who steers the politics of the department and takes all the flak, like the P-R man.
True!

Quote:
In fact, they can get by just fine without either parent, and are often better off without them.
Absurd! I bet the kids devastated by the earthquakes in Haiti and Chile would beg to differ with that opinion!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Besides parents, of course....

I would go with teachers. Really good teachers can impact your life like no one else can.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:54 PM

297 posts, read 899,164 times
Why hasn't anyone mentioned scientist/engineer yet?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:07 PM

320 posts, read 1,069,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
The capital "F" might mean that the poster meant a priest?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:14 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
To you, which job is the most meaningful, and for what reason?
Most people will probably name an occupation that requires a lot of education. However think about the kind of impact it would have on your life if for some reason the people that pick up and haul off your garbage every week refused to do it. If you live in a city that will have a tremendous impact on you. Unless you have a health issue you can go years at a time without visiting a Doctor. Some people NEVER need an attorney or judge. So for obvious reasons my vote goes to the lowly garbageman.

GL2

Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Parent because if parents don't do their jobs properly we end up suffering from it as a society so it is in everyone's interest to encourage good parenting

Teacher - University lecturer . See above ( we must value them more and pay them accordingly). A great teacher will inspire and teach a child how to think for him/herself - we should pay them a lot more.

People in emergency services ( Police, Firemen, rescue people etc... ) for obvious reasons . We don't value them enough and they need to be paid a lot more

Carer/Foster Parent. One of the most selfless and dedicated bunch of people on the planet. Unsung heroes of our society in many ways.

Social worker. Would you want to do it for the money they pay you ? I certainly wouldn't. Immensely rewarding jobs but also very, very hard work and emotionally destructive in many ways. They will see things most of us can only dream of in our worst nightmares. Also need paying a lot more.

Volunteers for charities from the community helpers to Doctors at Doctors without Borders. Also unsung heroes. The world would be a poorer place without their selfless efforts.

The Medical Profession ( some of them , I don't particularly rank plastic surgeons high on the list of meaningful unless they only deal with disfigured people for example) but especially nurses, and palliative care staff.

Too many Doctors believe they are God though so my admiration for them is more on a one on one basis as many as self important, windbags.

Anyone who does all the jobs we despise and yet would be lost without. Binmen , Janitors, people who work in sewers, people who build our cars, make our clothes etc... Jobs most of us would not do and yet somehow are arrogant enough to think are worthless. I appreciate them because they do render a very crucial service to our society and get no recognition for it. And little pay. Much better than the parasites at the top like bankers, lawyers etc... I have a lot more respect for a janitor than I do for an investment banker.

The Armed Forces. I am borderline Pacifist but I appreciate that most of our troops do a very hard and dangerous job as well as they can under circumstances most of us cannot even imagine. I despise the Army as an institution, but have a great deal of respect for the men and women who work for it if that makes any sense. I realise that sometimes we need an army I just wish Politicians who make decisions about military engagement thought about it a little deeper and longer and did not send troops like canon fodder at the first excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates