Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:58 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't mind seeing a "gun nut" free America. I've never gotten along with those who obsess over inanimate objects-they seem to be lacking something in their lives, and unfortunately, the rest of us have to suffer for their obsession.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:02 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a "gun nut" free America. I've never gotten along with those who obsess over inanimate objects-they seem to be lacking something in their lives, and unfortunately, the rest of us have to suffer for their obsession.
You're talking about all the gang-banger criminals who carry guns, right?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:41 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Aren't assault weapons those evil black rifles with a couple of letters and a couple of numbers for names ?? you know ... dare I say it.. AK-47... or AR-15 ?!?

The Ak-47 might be, but the clones are not.

The Ar-15 is not, but the M-16 might be..

I understand you are not anti, but do you see what I am saying?

I know the answers to the questions I posed, but am after an inteligent answer from the anti.

I already know the Lefty Side Step too.

No lefty is capable of the answer, because 20 minutes to search google for the answers is too hard, and like work. This has been proven by 40 years of ignorance on purpose.

No lefty can tell a can of Colt 45 beer from a Colt 45 gun.

Both wet their pants.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
That does not make any sense what so ever.

Jay Leno -- Historical car collector, probably owns more expensive cars than anyone, including custom built machines.
How about people who "obsess" over coffee?
Movie buffs? Avid readers? You're alienated a very specific group of people based on nothing.

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You're talking about all the gang-banger criminals who carry guns, right?
I wasn't talking specifically about "gang-banger criminals" (I would hope that a ban on criminals carrying firearms wasn't confined to only "gang-bangers") , but if they are obsessive about guns, sure.

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Suppose you were living in Utah, and they changed the law so you would be required to have two wives, but you would be exempted from the law if you had a moral objection to having two wives, and over a period of 18 years, there wasn't a single prosecution for failing to have a second wife. Would you take a second wife, in order to conform to the law?

How stupid do you think people are in Kennesaw, despite the town's hillbilly name and crackpot mandatory gun law? Of course, nobody has a gun there unless they wanted to have one in the first place.

My God, there really is a sucker born every minute, isn't there?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The Ak-47 might be, but the clones are not.

The Ar-15 is not, but the M-16 might be..
"Assault weapon" itself is an invented term to describe any black gun with a vareity of arbitrarily define cosmetic features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia - Federal Assault Weapons Ban
Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following: Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
  • Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
  • Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
  • Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
  • Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
  • A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm
Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
  • Folding or telescoping stock
  • Pistol grip
  • Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
  • Detachable magazine

Quote:
No lefty can tell a can of Colt 45 beer from a Colt 45 gun.

Both wet their pants.
ZING!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Suppose you were living in Utah, and they changed the law so you would be required to have two wives, but you would be exempted from the law if you had a moral objection to having two wives, and over a period of 18 years, there wasn't a single prosecution for failing to have a second wife. Would you take a second wife, in order to conform to the law?

How stupid do you think people are in Kennesaw, despite the town's hillbilly name and crackpot mandatory gun law? Of course, nobody has a gun there unless they wanted to have one in the first place.

My God, there really is a sucker born every minute, isn't there?
Congratulations on not covering anything I said. Don't worry about the psychololgy of the law, the statistics showing decreased crime rate, or the increased crime rate in a city that banned firearm ownership inside city limits.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Congratulations on not covering anything I said. Don't worry about the psychololgy of the law, the statistics showing decreased crime rate, or the increased crime rate in a city that banned firearm ownership inside city limits.
You said my comment about conformity with the law was opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
That's opinion.
So I challenged you to deny that you would come to exactly the same opinion if it was a law requiring polygamy. You said two words, and I covered it. Now, I challenge you to produce statistical evidence that there was an increase in 1982 in the actual number of households in Kennesaw GA that armed themselves in compliance with the law. If you disagree with my opinions, produce facts or data, instead of a two-word smart-aleckism.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You said my comment about conformity with the law was opinion.

So I challenged you to deny that you would come to exactly the same opinion if it was a law requiring polygamy. You said two words, and I covered it. Now, I challenge you to produce statistical evidence that there was an increase in 1982 in the actual number of households in Kennesaw GA that armed themselves in compliance with the law.
So you agree that the law wards of criminals due to the decrease in crime, and that banning firearm ownership increases crime rates?

Why would you not be for laws that mandate gun ownership.

Even with provisions on the books to allow for escape clauses, it doesn't mean those bordernline people (you'd be surprised how many liberals are embarrased to say they support gun rights) would say "they are following the law rather than going through the hassle of exemption papers."

Without actual pre and post law ownership numbers (which I am sure is private information), there really isn't a way to tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates