Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:45 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Hybrid sales have been surging as fuel prices take their latest run towards record levels. But the news might not be nearly as good as it would seem if a new study by R.L. Polk is any indication.

Despite previous sales surges tied to past petroleum price hikes the U.S. hybrid vehicle market hasn’t been able to maintain its momentum and the Polk study apparently explains why. After living with the high-mileage technology, nearly two of three hybrid owners wind up returning to a more conventional vehicle when it’s time to trade in.

Bottom Line - Hybrid owners unlikely to buy another one, study shows (http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/10/11101762-hybrid-owners-unlikely-to-buy-another-one-study-shows?lite?ocid=twitter - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:43 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times
I would guess that, during hard economic times, people are figure out that the most economical car is the one that's paid for.

My daily driver is a restored old classic that averages (combined) about 20 mpg. I do not have a long commute.

THAT is cheap driving, NOT a new hybrid that gets 50 mpg, but comes with $500 per month payments.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times
Did the survey reveal WHY two out of three would not buy another hybrid?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Did the survey reveal WHY two out of three would not buy another hybrid?
This will shed some light on why:

https://www.polk.com/company/news/on...gain_says_polk

Bottom line is people got smarter and the allure of one of these eco-toys has dimmed....

Old 04-10-2012, 03:48 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,238 times
Prius sales are still incredibly strong. Lumping the Honda Civic hybrid in the the Prius hurts the whole category.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,690,790 times
I always find it so amusing when market analysts predict what people in certain markets "should" buy. "Well, this county or city is "green" so they'll love this new "green" technology!"

Um, they don't take into account all factors involved. Just because some city ordinance requires residents to separate their garbage into recyclables, or fines people for not having operating catalytic converters on their cars, they think that the majority of residents are "green". They simply don't understand that many people just go along to get along, and have to determine cost-effectiveness as it relates to them. If, say, San Francisco offers a city-wide 'rebate' of $3000 in 2009-2010 for buying a "green" car - but the rebates expired at the end of 2010; most people will determine whether or not the car provided them with cost effectiveness - or if buying a similar car will do the same. Between benefits and restrictions, most folks will determine what they can afford or get away with doing/not doing as to how it benefits them - not on some general hyper-emotionalized idea that 'Hey, my area is green, I'm gonna be green too!"

My Toyota Tundra runs like a scalded cat, hauls whatever I put into it or behind it, has many standard features that are "extra" on all other makes and models in its class, and - is paid for. YTH should I buy some piece of unknown untested 'green' technology just to make someone else feel batter?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Prius sales are still incredibly strong. Lumping the Honda Civic hybrid in the the Prius hurts the whole category.
That's funny, the hybrid market is nearly 12 percent down compared to a year ago, while the overall auto market is up by 7.5 percent from last August.

Prius sales are down almost 9% over a year ago, you are probably talking about the Seattle area's market because you sure aren't talking about the entire US market...

Hmmmmmmm

Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,238 times
Hmmmm?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
There are politics [and possible smoke/mirrors] going on here.

Toyota refuses to send enough hybrids to this areas dealers to fill demand.

I am fairly active on a hybrid forum, and while each brand of hybrid gets discusses a lot. I have never heard any owner discuss wanting to buy a non-hybrid.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am fairly active on a hybrid forum, and while each brand of hybrid gets discusses a lot. I have never heard any owner discuss wanting to buy a non-hybrid.
Makes sense doesn't it? It takes a special kind of mentality to buy a hybrid and to actively participate in a hybrid forum....

Why would a person who was disenfranchised with their purchase of a hybrid stick around a hybrid forum where the members congratulate each other on their purchase and boast how superior they are to the rest of humanity that drives those gas guzzling carbon spewing evil vehicles?

A question, is the hybrid forum like this one where the members practice one upsmanship on how much greener they are than everyone else in the forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living