Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times

Advertisements

That which is marketed as green isn't always so green afterall.

Video from Paul Wheaton is self explainatory.

not so free light bulbs - farmer laboratory - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 04:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times
The scariest thing to me about CFL's is how many people will just simply throw them in the trash when they stop working...

How many know what to do if a CFL bulb breaks in their house?

Cleaning Up a Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) | Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) | US EPA

Thanks for posting this

Makes me happy to be living in Texas where incandescent light bulbs are still allowed to be manufactured and sold.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 PM

711 posts, read 1,689,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Makes me happy to be living in Texas where incandescent light bulbs are still allowed to be manufactured and sold.
The Federal law, which also applies to Texas (a state in the U.S. if you didn't know), just stops low efficiency incandescent bulbs from being made/sold. More efficient, higher priced bulbs were unaffected.

Now you know. (cue rainbow)

Old 07-30-2012, 02:10 PM

667 posts, read 516,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
The Federal law, which also applies to Texas (a state in the U.S. if you didn't know), just stops low efficiency incandescent bulbs from being made/sold. More efficient, higher priced bulbs were unaffected.

Why did we need a federal law on this? Did it just create higher priced bulbs?

Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post

Nope.....

Quote:
Gov. Rick Perry has signed into law a bill that would permit the manufacture and sale of incandescent light bulbs within the state of Texas, thus circumnavigating a federal law banning their use by 2012.

So, unless and until the law is overturned in the courts, it will still be legal for Texans to buy traditional incandescent light bulbs in lieu of the more energy efficient, but also much more expensive and environmentally hazardous florescent light bulbs.
Texas Incandescent Light Bulb Bill Becomes Law - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Texas lawmakers have passed a bill that would allow citizens of Texas to get around the federal incandescent light bulb ban. According to PhysOrg, the bill awaits Texas Governor Rick Perry’s signature.
State lawmakers have passed a bill that allows Texans to skirt federal efforts to promote more efficient light bulbs, which ultimately pushes the swirled, compact fluorescent bulbs over the 100-watt incandescent bulbs many grew up with.
Texas Lawmakers Pass Bill to Get Around Federal Light Bulb Law | The Lonely Conservative

Old 08-04-2012, 01:00 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Well, lessee... unless they find tungsten ore in Texas, and then find a way to mine it and refine it and manufacture lightbulb filaments from, there's really no way they can produce such a bulb in Texas without engaging in interstate commerce, which the Federal government has power to regulate.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:59 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,858,634 times
the video is interesting, but i had 7 year old CFL bulbs that were still working and are in places that get turned off and on often. maybe they made them better in the beginning? In my recent move, we left them all behind and are transitioning to cfl free. I do not like the light that it gives off or the idea of having mercury around.

BTW my power company sends these to me unsolicited!!! jeez.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 PM

I have CFL lights in my kitchen and can't stand having to wait a few minutes before they give off full light and have had to replace the bulbs within the first year I had them....

Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,095 times
We have stockpiled incandescent bulbs of various wattage's including many 100 W bulbs for a few years now.
If we have done the math correctly we won't be using CFL's for over twenty years.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
the video is interesting, but i had 7 year old CFL bulbs that were still working and are in places that get turned off and on often. maybe they made them better in the beginning? In my recent move, we left them all behind and are transitioning to cfl free. I do not like the light that it gives off or the idea of having mercury around.

BTW my power company sends these to me unsolicited!!! jeez.
All you have to do is have a few gas masks around when a CFL bulb breaks

5-Personal Protective Equipment Information for Mercury : OSH Answers

And have the EPA's instructions on a CFL bulb cleanup printed out and handy....

http://epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup20120329.pdf

No biggie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living