Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've thought about downloading something along those lines, and I'm sure those are fine. I went from someone who downloads a lot to someone who only downloads what is needed and will be in regular use. Loading up computers just slows them and no longer interests me. Isn't there a "Google sky" or something like that as well?
Yes....

http://www.google.com/sky/

What version of Windows do you use?, loading up computers slowing them down is an issue that went away a number of years ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
In general, I still use XP. My own software qualifies as "legacy" software, and beyond XP I have to use stuff like TameDOS.

With most web stuff going towards smartphones and tablets, and the general life of technology platforms being only a couple years, I'd rather not spend my money on "upgrades" and instead buy things that will last longer than a bottle of milk.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 AM

377 posts, read 575,792 times
Default Getting Biblical Here Genesis:1-2:4

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've thought about downloading something along those lines, and I'm sure those are fine. I went from someone who downloads a lot to someone who only downloads what is needed and will be in regular use. Loading up computers just slows them and no longer interests me. Isn't there a "Google sky" or something like that as well?
It hasn't changed for me, this kind of community thinking. Wouldn't Sky-Talk be helpful in every community these days. It has to do with Rain and Resurrection which the Talmud compares. Today, every minute, it's Recycling and Resurrection. I feel all alone in my community and any community when it comes to "I've got the Sun in the morning and the Moon at night". Being on the 3rd and highest level, and immediately having an open balcony and a catwalk, I'm in tune with it all the time. It effects the climate inside my home so I suspect it does with other homes in my building.
Instead of Internet, just simply local with our own eyes discussions in local neighborhoods. TV has lots of weather stuff. I tried to start one-on-one casual ideas like this in neighborhoods both as tenant and home-owner and I think they think I'm nuts. We have a community newsletter and they weren't interested in publishing the exact sky for us. All communities are interested in is the value of their homes, not the value of their lives. I love the way Hugh Hefner lives with his girls. However, I'd prefer simply Sky Talk and who needs boys

Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Buy a magnetic compass. The point of the needle points to magnetic north. That should be close enough.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

I suggest going to your local library and finding a book roughly titled "beginner's guide to the stars."
Even more fun is the Startracker app.

StarTracker for iPhone 4S for iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad (3rd generation) and iPad Wi-Fi + 4G on the iTunes App Store

Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Default This is the purpose of my thread. Get Y'all Thinking Community-Wise Part of Green Living

It's not about me. It's about community "we". I can only talk for myself about "we". I can't talk for "we". Start with something tangible like your Tenants Association or your Board of Directors Community Associations where your home is. If you don't have a Community set up as under a Board of Directors, then it's impossible to be "we".

Improving the world, one map at a time - CNN.com

The first thing that I use "direction" for is maps for road instructions. But now roads include airspace so roads are not only community fences on the ground but includes vertical fences where a lot of spying is going on and also security monitoring along these roads.

It's all part of green living. You do not drive alone and you really don't live alone. It's all of us together in the USA. Tikkun Olam. HaSekhel HaYashar. In your own community. With your neighbors and family and friends.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times
Fwiw.. living just barely below the Arctic Circle, pretty darned close to the North Pole, I can tell you that in the summer the sun "rises" (lifts off the horizon) in the NNE and "sets" (kisses the horizon) in the NNW... it doesn't go below the horizon at "night" just spins around the northern horizon. In winter, the sun "rises" (peaks over the horizon) in the SSE and "sets" (slides back below the horizon) in the SSW... it doesn't ever really rise much above the horizon during the "day" just spins around the southern horizon.

Using the sun and moon for (absolute) direction is dicey unless you know the time, and using them to tell time is dicey unless you know the direction and what height they should be for the season in your area. Stars and constellations can also be tricky, because they also move (well, we're the ones actually moving... anyway) with the time and season. Using the sky, without a sextant and other map tools, navigating by the sky is just approximate. Without maps and compasses on hand, you're a little better off using landmarks that you already know for relative direction.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Fwiw.. living just barely below the Arctic Circle, pretty darned close to the North Pole, I can tell you that in the summer the sun "rises" (lifts off the horizon) in the NNE and "sets" (kisses the horizon) in the NNW... it doesn't go below the horizon at "night" just spins around the northern horizon. In winter, the sun "rises" (peaks over the horizon) in the SSE and "sets" (slides back below the horizon) in the SSW... it doesn't ever really rise much above the horizon during the "day" just spins around the southern horizon.

Using the sun and moon for (absolute) direction is dicey unless you know the time, and using them to tell time is dicey unless you know the direction and what height they should be for the season in your area. Stars and constellations can also be tricky, because they also move (well, we're the ones actually moving... anyway) with the time and season. Using the sky, without a sextant and other map tools, navigating by the sky is just approximate. Without maps and compasses on hand, you're a little better off using landmarks that you already know for relative direction.
Isn't that amazing. TNX. I know when I went to an Elderhostel stay at Ft. Davis TX McDonald Observatory: it was the first time I actually "felt" the earth at night spinning on its axis. That's because it was closer to the equator. Now with my getting old and decrepit life and grateful to have a 17.5' horizon N.E. view in the DC metro area, I actually can see the "dome" that the ancients saw. I sort of live like them now. I just wish I had an Internet access in the whole area controlled by the trust called Leisure World of Maryland so I could forum with others among the 8500 people who see the same sky I do. Each home sees a different sky. The higher up one is the better the view. Clouds are simply skyscapes that are constantly moving so slowly that it's a slide show. Just wonder what chemicals make up the differences in each slide. Drones could sample all this. Could even be part of the weather report.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times
You'd get a real kick out of visiting "Big Sky Country" where light pollution and human habitations are few and far between... the sky stretches on and on for miles with no interruptions. The stars in places like Montana, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Alaska, Maine and rural Canada are AMAZING, and if you're far enough north the Aurora Borealis will knock your socks off!

Another little fun-fact about our place here in AK, in the winter when the moon is full and reflecting off the snow, it's actually brighter during the night than it is during the 2-3 hours of daylight Bright enough to even generate power on solar panels!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
You'd get a real kick out of visiting "Big Sky Country" where light pollution and human habitations are few and far between... the sky stretches on and on for miles with no interruptions. The stars in places like Montana, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Alaska, Maine and rural Canada are AMAZING, and if you're far enough north the Aurora Borealis will knock your socks off!

Another little fun-fact about our place here in AK, in the winter when the moon is full and reflecting off the snow, it's actually brighter during the night than it is during the 2-3 hours of daylight Bright enough to even generate power on solar panels!
Funny you should mention that. At night when there's snow on the ground I see the same thing. In fact, it's hard to distinguish when the snow has melted because the pavements reflect like snow at night. So I have to look at the sodded areas to see for sure.
After all is said and done, the solar garden lights that's used during the Winter Solstice holidays are no more than direct current circuits Edison-style.
Also the moon keep us informed of the whereabouts of OUR STAR all night long. I love it when both are almost side-by-side. That's one icon I love from South of the USA border: Sun/Moon icons. It's really STAR/MOON icon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living