Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:21 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Are you sure that the paper cup you are drinking out of isn't plastic lined?

Even the paper cups at McDs, BK, and Wendy's have a plastic lining in them.

If you are not looking for it, you might not realize the thin film of plastic lining the INSIDE of the cup.
After doing some digging, it appears there is no such thing as an unlined paper coffee cup, because the hot liquid goes right through them. If you've ever tried putting hot coffee in an unlined cold water cup, you know this to be true. So after generations of different lining materials such as clay and wax, which had limited success, the advent of PE (Polyethelene) coating decades ago rapidly became the standard, and the majority of paper coffee cups today are made this way.

The ecological challenge that arose is that the PE lining, which is actually both inside and outside the cup in many instances, is not a compostable substance, so it doesn't break down in landfills, and it contaminates the standard paper recyclingp process. IOW, PE lined paper cups can only be recycled by specialized equipment, which not all recyling companies have.

In an attempt to make a more eco friendly coffee cup, the PLA lining was developed, which is a polymerized starch, such as corn starch or tapioca, which holds together long enough to serve the purpose, but then is completely compostable. The catch? It renders the cup unsuitable for recycling.

So the problem, as I see it, is simply that Starbucks made an aspirational commitment to 100% recycling before such a thing was technically feasible, but now, years later, it still isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 11:44 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
They give you a discount if you bring in your own reusable cup. IMO this is a lot more important than the recyclability of the paper cups. Once the usage of reusable cups gets high enough, I would not be surprised if they did some sort of deposit program and scrapped the disposable cups altogether. Well, maybe Starbucks is too big to do that, but some of the smaller local shops are already doing this.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
They give you a discount if you bring in your own reusable cup. IMO this is a lot more important than the recyclability of the paper cups. Once the usage of reusable cups gets high enough, I would not be surprised if they did some sort of deposit program and scrapped the disposable cups altogether. Well, maybe Starbucks is too big to do that, but some of the smaller local shops are already doing this.
Did you read the article? Starbucks made a major campaign for years to promote the use of reusable cups, but by 2011 only 1.9% were doing that. Clearly most American consumers can't be bothered to carry a reusable coffee cup, or a reusable water bottle for that matter.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:41 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
I make my own coffee 99% of the time but I am wondering if I am the only one who hates drinking out of a paper coffee cup? I also hate drinking out of a plastic water bottle. I just have my own glass bottle that I use and I refill it. I guess only 2% of Starbucks customers feel that way but if I'm going to pay for an expensive coffee I'd like to have it in a mug.

It is really not that much effort, either. I'm not sure there is anything they can do to incentivize people to bring a cup. $.10 is not going to do it. I mean, I bring my own water bottle for free and I see people buying multiple smaller bottles of water for $3 a pop.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:03 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Who washes their cups.... just adds to the flavor...
I'm not a big coffee drinker (about 2-3 cups a year). My spouse is a huge coffee drinker and gets withdrawal headaches without it. I cleaned the coffeepot very thoroughly soon after we married and the stuff hit the fan. Apparently, the "flavor" was in the pot somehow. Oops!.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:13 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
I don't drink coffee...

Old 04-14-2014, 03:03 PM

781 posts, read 736,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
When you drop that used white paper cup into the bin next to the door at a Starbucks, have you done your part to save the planet? Starbucks has long hoped that you would think so. After all, there's no better way to attract an affluent, eco-conscious clientele than to convince customers that your disposable product is "renewable."

No money in recycling paper cups at Starbucks - chicagotribune.com
And yet, somehow, I just can't seem to care...

Old 04-14-2014, 07:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
I'm reading the article and I'm not a subscriber.

Nope. Hit a paywall.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
When you drop that used white paper cup into the bin next to the door at a Starbucks, have you done your part to save the planet? Starbucks has long hoped that you would think so. After all, there's no better way to attract an affluent, eco-conscious clientele than to convince customers that your disposable product is "renewable."

I can't read the article unless I sign up....none of that ever mattered to me. The primary reason I go to coffee houses is for the taste of the coffee & the caffeine. Everything else is secondary.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:15 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Like most articles worth reading, it is sent over via the AP. So it is available in other non-pay-to-read papers. Which is why I posted the other link...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living