Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 678 times

Advertisements

Any liberal who doesn't 100 percent believe in man made global warming needs to be put in jail. City Data needs to go green since the people who run this site don't care if the earth gets destroyed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 12:28 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,252,297 times
Quote:
In simplest terms what it really all boils down to is that the greenhouse gases that we've been pumping up there into the atmosphere have and still are forming an ever thickening envelope around earth and are increasingly trapping more and more heat inside the envelope. It's kind of like being wrapped up and trapped inside an electric blanket with a faulty safety switch that doesn't turn off the heat when it's supposed to.

Everything inside the envelope of greenhouse gases is getting hotter and is slowly getting cooked.
Interesting in section of the 2018 tutorial linked to earlier and again here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqjbTMz5Hro

Just past 11 minutes, is described satellite infrared interferometer measurements. Two nearly identical measurements were taken 27 years apart. During this 27 years, the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere had increased by 14%

Well. between the two measurements, they measured less energy escaping the planet indicated by a lower temperature of 1.5C. Less energy escaping with the same energy going in means the energy is being trapped as predicted.

I have to trust that the scientist (whom I have linked his credentials a few times previously) took into account that the change could also have been due to the actual energy from the sun going into the planet being reduced or by other factors. But the conclusion is the same as the quote.. The increase concentration of CO2 did and was primarily responsible for trapping more energy into the planet. Note that CO2 does not affect the wavelength of energy going into the planet atmosphere, only the wavelength of escaping energy.

Trying to measure what that increased energy actually does and where it goes and comparing that to natural cycles is where it gets a muddy.

But.. it would seem that we have measured increase energy into the planet due to green house gas. When you add energy to a complex non linear system.. hmm...

Old 08-06-2018, 03:18 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Not sure where you found the Boeing number of 54 billion, but here is the data I found in a very brief search:

https://itep.org/boeing-paid-tax-rat...orate-tax-cut/
I could be wrong about the amount. I don't think corporations should pay any income taxes if the owners (shareholders) pay income taxes. Double taxing anything is a bad idea that discourages the activity you're taxing.

I want Boeing to stay in the United States (it is one of the highest paying employers in the world) and I think we can continue to fly in airplanes. The innovation dividend of cheap, safe air travel is much bigger than the environmental cost. Yes, that was Barack Obama's position and although he was pretty far left and I am on the center right, at the moment I'd take him back.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:25 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klssd87ds7 View Post
Any liberal who doesn't 100 percent believe in man made global warming needs to be put in jail. City Data needs to go green since the people who run this site don't care if the earth gets destroyed
It's nice to know there are totalitarians on this board, or else people with a warped sense of humor. People believe all kinds of things, including a flat earth, the righteousness of the Islamic State, and the designated hitter rule and while they're all wrong, we don't put them in jail. This is America and we have freedom of speech.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:35 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The industrial age is what is causing the problem and we have temperature readings for that period. What happened in the Jurassic is interesting but not very relevant to today's climate.

Contrary to your assertion, science is heavily focused on data acquisition, but the climate of the entire earth is a complicated enough phenomenon that one must use models. We have hundreds of thousands of years of proxy data that indicate global climate. Your serious doubts reflect an uninformed perspective. Some people have serious doubt that the earth is spherical.

Other people just lie. Why they lie is not clear, but there is no real doubt that man made warming is happening.
How do you know the industrial age is the problem other than by assuming it is so? We have no data but its ok we assume this is the hot period? I dont consider that science. There is evidence the earth has been warmer than the industrial age so how did it cool down since the EPA and NASA were not around then nor global climate folks to save us?

It is likely the volcanic eruption period was when the earth was damaged significantly by climate yet it survived. Why someone would not care why the earth adapted and evolved to handle this disruption is beyond me and any common sense.

Being taught to ignore experience and common sense is an education issue of concern.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:40 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post

….it would seem that we have measured increase energy into the planet due to green house gas. When you add energy to a complex non linear system.. hmm...

Here's how it works:....Imagine a pin ball machine without any pegs in the field-- you shoot the ball out and it goes up but then just falls straight down without hitting anything. Then you put in the pegs and the next shot goes up and then keeps hitting pegs on the way down delaying it's fall to the bottom. The more pegs, the more time it takes.

In case you don't see the point, the pegs are co2 molecules and the ball is a photon of energy. A GHG delays the time it take for the planet to cool off each nite.

The AGW thery says we're putting so much co2 into the atm that the heat is building up because it takes so long now for the sun's energy to bounce off the earth and escape back into space.

But in Nature, the planet reacts to changes: more heat means more clouds; more clouds means more shade and more rain and more cooling. And also keep in mind that the planet is 70% covered by water which absorbs energy directly from the sun and not from the air and holds onto it for a much longer time than the dry land.

The question is- how much weight does each factor exert on the weather/climate?

Because temps over the last 200 years have varied up & down, while co2 levels have increased steadily suggests co2 is a weak factor and others are much stronger. We also know that in the geologic past, co2 levels seem to respond to changes in temp, rather than precede them. We also know that co2 levels have averaged 3000ppm (10x higher than now) and have been as high as 8000ppm and yet temps have never been more than~22degC, as opposed to ~15degC now (we're talking average temps). These observations also support the notion that co2 is a minor factor in global temps.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:49 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
How do you know the industrial age is the problem other than by assuming it is so? We have no data but its ok we assume this is the hot period? I dont consider that science. There is evidence the earth has been warmer than the industrial age so how did it cool down since the EPA and NASA were not around then nor global climate folks to save us?

It is likely the volcanic eruption period was when the earth was damaged significantly by climate yet it survived. Why someone would not care why the earth adapted and evolved to handle this disruption is beyond me and any common sense.

Being taught to ignore experience and common sense is an education issue of concern.
Our concern is not that the Earth will not survive, it's that we will not survive. Those peoriods you reference when the earth was hotter had no human civilization. Not really a recommendation.

We know the industrial age is the problem because at its heart the issue is an energy balance problem which we can solve. We know earth is warming, we know greenhouse gases contribute to the warming and we know that much of the increase in greenhouse gases come from anthropogenic sources. We do have the data that shows this. You're obviously not a scientist so what you consider "science" is an uninformed opinion -- not worth much. Your appeal to use of "common sense" shows that we are much better off relying on science.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:04 PM

765 posts, read 473,811 times
gee, at what point of loss of species, loss of habitat like coral reefs due to the ever more acidic oceans and water temps is needed in the delicate balance of food chains will an intelligent person think that we have to do better with treading lightly, seriously and using the earth more gently?????? Not to mention at all that the past few years have been record setting and only seem to be getting hotter and hotter...... climate change is not a hoax.... but of course a lefty newspaper like the NY Times only has a staff of ignorant bleeding hearts huh?

Old 08-06-2018, 05:07 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I could be wrong about the amount. I don't think corporations should pay any income taxes if the owners (shareholders) pay income taxes. Double taxing anything is a bad idea that discourages the activity you're taxing.

I want Boeing to stay in the United States (it is one of the highest paying employers in the world) and I think we can continue to fly in airplanes. The innovation dividend of cheap, safe air travel is much bigger than the environmental cost. Yes, that was Barack Obama's position and although he was pretty far left and I am on the center right, at the moment I'd take him back.
If corporations are going to get the legal rights of people/individuals, yes they should be taxed as such.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:11 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Those peoriods you reference when the earth was hotter had no human civilization.

Au contraire.

The Medieval Warm period (gave us vineyards on Iceland) was 2degC warmer than now.
The Roman Warm Period (saw Roman legions in their leather mini-skirts doing quite well in the British Isles and no glaciers in the Alps) was 4degC warmer than now.
The Mycenean Warm Period (first great civilization) was 6degC warmer than now.,
The Holocene Optimum gave us the birth of agriculture and the first cities was 8degC warmer than now.

We've been cooling off since Hol. Opt. The warming we've seen since the Little Ice Age, two centuries of very rapid cooling, is just getting us back up to that general downhill trend line. It's not at all obvious that the Industrial Revolution had anything to do with it. The warming had already started yrs before we started burning so much coal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living