Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 10:53 PM

22,874 posts, read 6,450,102 times

Advertisements

When we moved here 19 years ago I didn’t want cardboard boxes in the basement so I got the vinyl containers with snap on lids. They are still there as well as the ones I have stacked in closets. Except for a few cardboard boxes if I want to send something I throw the rest away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 07:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
We fold up the larger ones for a future move, by the rest get cut by utility knife into small enough pieces to easily fit into the recycling bin, That gets picked up weekly and we almost always have it full by that day. Sometimes it takes some work cutting up a box, like when you buy a big TV, bathroom vanity, or office chair.

Old 04-02-2024, 04:02 AM

1,899 posts, read 861,291 times
i dont recycel, it not worth my time or money to drive half way acoss town to the recycle yard, that land fills it anyway. i know that sounds wrong but its reality

Old 04-02-2024, 07:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i dont recycel, it not worth my time or money to drive half way across town to the recycle yard, that land fills it anyway. I know that sounds wrong but its reality
No home pickup there? We have a garbage bin, larger recycling bin, and a yard waste bin that are emptied by the garbage trucks every Thursday. In some cities, like Seattle they will actually fine you for putting recyclables, yard or food waste into the garbage.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:28 PM

22,387 posts, read 29,507,923 times
Join Nextdoor and post them for free on there.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:05 PM

1,899 posts, read 861,291 times
No home pickup there? We have a garbage bin, larger recycling bin, and a yard waste bin that are emptied by the garbage trucks every Thursday.

it all goes in the back of the same truck

Old 04-02-2024, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 459 times
I try to re-use as much as I can.

When Costco shopping, I keep few boxes in my car and use those for months.

Amazon boxes get cut to appropriate sizes and used for storage (not really Amazon fan so it's only few orders/year).

I save boxes from printers and computers in case I want to sell the item later.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:19 AM

7,301 posts, read 5,185,498 times
Good idea-- Re-use. Re- cycle Re- purpose

BUT-j one more time--

Cardboard is a 100% naturally recyclable material made from 100% naturally recyclable trees. It has exactly zero effect on CO2 levels (if you are mis-informed and think that's important) and the trees are grown as a crop intended to be used for industrial purposes (ie- no natural forest is being destroyed for that purpose). Nothing bad.

In the Bigger Picture, more boxes means we're carrying on more commerce. More commerce means we're providing more jobs. More jobs means a higher standard of living for more people. All good.

At end of usefull life, boxes should be used as noted by so many posters earlier here in ways that let them deteriorate naturally. Excess boxes should be incinerated rather than be llowed to stagnate indefinitely in a landfill taking up space where oxygen can't get at them to break them down.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:59 AM

10,250 posts, read 6,343,445 times
We are Seniors living in a rural area so do a lot of ordering online. Everything has to fit in the recycle can. Private garbage service won't get out of their truck to pick up anything on the street.

Some of these boxes are so hard it's very difficult to break them down enough to put into the recycle can. I learned something from our new neighbors. Leave them outside when it rains. They will fall apart and can easily be crushed enough.

My problem is getting online food delivered in those styrofoam containers with dry ice. Can't recycle, but cannot fit into garbage can. I tried with a meat cleaver to cut up, but couldn't. I wonder if they will break down in the rain too?

Old 04-05-2024, 07:17 AM

37,167 posts, read 41,364,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We are Seniors living in a rural area so do a lot of ordering online. Everything has to fit in the recycle can. Private garbage service won't get out of their truck to pick up anything on the street.

Some of these boxes are so hard it's very difficult to break them down enough to put into the recycle can. I learned something from our new neighbors. Leave them outside when it rains. They will fall apart and can easily be crushed enough.

My problem is getting online food delivered in those styrofoam containers with dry ice. Can't recycle, but cannot fit into garbage can. I tried with a meat cleaver to cut up, but couldn't. I wonder if they will break down in the rain too?
Use a bread knife on the styrofoam, or an electric carving knife if you have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living