Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 07:39 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

We have always had a dumpster that was emptied weekly, since we had a company which generated a lot of waste.
Well, the company is closed but the dumpster lived on to the tune of $70.00 a month.
We thought of having curb service, but our driveway is 1000 feet long, so we figured if we need to drag it there we might as well go 2 more miles to the recycle center.
My point is..what a hassle free way of handling our trash. For a grand total of $3.00 for two bags of trash and the rest free recyclables we got rid of about a month's worth of trash. I must be a sloooow learner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
Good deal! We don't have pick up service for recyclables where I live, so this afternoon for the first time I will be taking the recyclables to the nearest recycling center. It's about 20 minutes away. I've been saving all our recyclables for several weeks and my car trunk is just about full of bags.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We have always had a dumpster that was emptied weekly, since we had a company which generated a lot of waste.
Well, the company is closed but the dumpster lived on to the tune of $70.00 a month.
We thought of having curb service, but our driveway is 1000 feet long, so we figured if we need to drag it there we might as well go 2 more miles to the recycle center.
My point is..what a hassle free way of handling our trash. For a grand total of $3.00 for two bags of trash and the rest free recyclables we got rid of about a month's worth of trash. I must be a sloooow learner.
Thanks for sharing that - and passing on the message that it is easy to recycle!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:47 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,381 times
We have weekly curbside recycle pickup here in Omaha. The only thing that bugs me about it is that they don't accept glass. I can understand why they don't but it still bums me a little.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:07 AM

130 posts, read 148,466 times
they can help you if you have trouble with your waste Hazardous Waste Disposal San Diego - ACT Environmental Services

Old 07-13-2016, 05:47 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
Filet.

At this time ( July 2016 ) glass is worth about FIVE dollars a TON. Can you see why nobody wants to be bothered with it, as a recycle material ?

On the other hand,.....Here in Ontario, we do recycle about 95 percent of all our beer cans and bottles, through a deposit of ten cents each when you buy beer. The Beer Store ( a Government of Ontario retail beer sales system ) take back not only beer cans and bottles, but also wine and liquor bottles as well. They also recycle cardboard beer cases, bottle caps and the plastic ringers that are found on six packs of cans.

The recycle program here in Ontario recycles an average beer bottle 16 times, before it is crushed and remade as a new bottle. The beer cans are melted down and made as new cans. It takes far less energy to remake a can than to create a new one from scratch.

The reality is that here in Ontario you very seldom see any beer cans or bottles lying around. The reason ? They are worth money. We have weekly residential recycling pick ups by the city of Toronto, but most of the time the trucks aren't getting much in that section of the truck, because home owners or the elderly have all ready taken them back the Beer Store for the refund. Bars and licensed cafes have deals with local guys to return the week's worth of empties, and split the refund money. That could be as much as 300 cases times 24 bottles or cans in each case of empties .

That is a system that works .

Jim B.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Our recycling centers are at the transfer stations. The recycling is totally free, but if you have actual garbage, it's charged by the weight and minimum is $23. Fortunately our driveway is only about 30' long, because the $70 every two months that we pay for curbside pickup of trash and recycling is not a bad price. Plus going to the transfer center means paying for gas (and adding pollution) since it's about 20 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living