Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 AM

17 posts, read 54,222 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! My husband and I are looking to relocate to NC from Florida. We have two options, for him to find a new job or to take a transfer within his current company.

If he takes a transfer he would be working in Lexington but from what I'm finding here and other places online, I don't think we'd want to live in Lexington.

We have a young son and another baby on the way. Our #1 priority is to have excellent schools. That is one of the main reasons we want out of Florida. We're looking for a an area that isn't far from shopping (Target, Wal-Mart, grocery stores) and entertainment (resturants, library, parks/playgrounds). We would be interested in new/newer home communities that have an HOA, deed restrictions, a community center, pool and playground. For comparison, we really like the Clayton area over near Raleigh and would probably move there if my husband does not transfer and looks for a new job so we are looking for something similar within a reasonable commute to Lexington. He is willing to commute 30-40 minutes each way. Can you suggest areas for us to look at homes?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:00 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
I can't help you with specifics, but if I had to move to Lexington I'd look for something on the lake (High Rock Lake). I know nothing about the schools in that area, but I do know the sunsets on the lake are awesome.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
High Rock is an ok lake full of tree stumps and red mud and a little to rural for what your looking for. There is no grocery stores or shopping near by. School systems either Central Davidson or South Davidson they are mediocre.

I would look into Arcadia along the border of Clemmons because it is Davidson County so cheaper taxes. Arcadia feeds into North Davidson school district and is best of Davidson County schools. You will be about 25 minutes from Lexington & Winston Salem where there is plenty of shopping options.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:53 PM

17 posts, read 54,222 times
Thanks, Sunny! Any suggestions on specific subdivisions?

Old 12-09-2010, 06:57 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
High Rock is an ok lake full of tree stumps and red mud and a little to rural for what your looking for. There is no grocery stores or shopping near by. School systems either Central Davidson or South Davidson they are mediocre.

I would look into Arcadia along the border of Clemmons because it is Davidson County so cheaper taxes. Arcadia feeds into North Davidson school district and is best of Davidson County schools. You will be about 25 minutes from Lexington & Winston Salem where there is plenty of shopping options.
I was going to suggest the exact same area. It feeds into excellent schools, is about 5 miles from the southern W-S border and 13 miles to downtown W-S and Lexington. Most mailing addresses come up Lexington or Clemmons in the Arcadia township area. I am not sure of subdivision names, but if you contact a realtor who gives you access to Listingbook, I am sure he or she can point you to the area to look for homes. My realtor actually pushed us towards the Arcadia area even though the job was in W-S.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:23 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Hey Sunny, I'm curious about your "tree stumps and red mud" comment. I haven't been to High Rock in a number of years, but when my kids were small we spent many weekends there at a family cottage. I never noticed any red mud or tree stumps--we would ski, swim, jet-ski, etc. all over the place with no problems. Seemed like regular old lake water to me. However, I know in the years after we stopped going there (we sold the cottage), the lake was drained to very low levels for a while, and there were algae problems I think. So I wonder if it's changed that much since I used to go there, or maybe you're talking about a different part of the lake?

And for the OP, I should also mention the town of Welcome. I have a co-worker who lives there and loves it...seems to have lots of small-town character while being just minutes from WS and Lexington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point