Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,711 times

Advertisements

Hi, I know you are discussing Raleigh here, but I have a question about Winston-Salem. We are considering a move from Western MA and know nothing about North Carolina. We are socially and politically liberal, but not to the extreme. Which areas around there do people like? What do you know about them? Just starting to do the research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:00 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynlu View Post
Hi, I know you are discussing Raleigh here, but I have a question about Winston-Salem. We are considering a move from Western MA and know nothing about North Carolina. We are socially and politically liberal, but not to the extreme. Which areas around there do people like? What do you know about them? Just starting to do the research.
You should post your questions in the Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point) sub forum. Raleigh is in a different part of the state.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,484 times
She asked what was Winston Salem like, not Raleigh. I wish I could tell her but never having been there I can't. What IS it like? I also would like to find another place in NC that was a better fit for me. Looking for a smallish city with cultural stuff, historic style apts and houses, fairly liberal and cooler in the summer then it is here in the coastal plains. I too am a transplanted New Englander.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 AM

109 posts, read 389,302 times
Winston-Salem is the 4th largest city in NC by population, between Greensboro and Durham. It is part of the Piedmont Triad Region made up of around 1.6 M people. It is also within the 100 largest cities in the U.S. It is know mainly for it's past. RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company is headquartered there, Wachovia Bank had is orgins there, BB&T is headquarter there and right now there are two major medical centers Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center and Forsyth Medical Center. The city changed it focus from industrial manufacturing in the 90's to one of technology and health care. Downtown Winston Salem has had a rebirth over the past 10 years and is slowing coming back to life with residential, shops and restaurants. The Piedmont Triad Research Park is being built in downtown Winston-Salem and when it is complete will be over 200 acres of research, residential, shopping and will employee around 30,000 people.

Winston Salem is know as the City of the Arts and the UNC School of the Arts is located there. Also Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem State Universtiy, Salem College, Forsyth Tech. Of the other 3 largest cities in NC, Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro, Winston-Salem has the most character with the restored Old Salem, West End neighborhoods. Downtown Winston-Salem has some very unique old architecture.

Winston-Salem is more of a family city; however that is slowy changing with the rebirth of downtown. Downtown is filling up with young professionals and empty nesters in all of the new residential options, condos, apartments, lofts.

I personally like both Triad cities, Greensboro and Winston-Salem, but in my opinion Winston-Salem seems more like a city with a true urban core whereas Greensboro is more of a large suburban city.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:55 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
She asked what was Winston Salem like, not Raleigh. I wish I could tell her but never having been there I can't. What IS it like? I also would like to find another place in NC that was a better fit for me. Looking for a smallish city with cultural stuff, historic style apts and houses, fairly liberal and cooler in the summer then it is here in the coastal plains. I too am a transplanted New Englander.
Ann, this post was originally in the Triangle sub forum and was moved here.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:57 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
Winston-Salem is a wonderful, beautiful city. The whole Triad is great. If you live in Winston-Salem and want to do things in Greensboro or vice versa...it is only 30 minutes away. Takes you longer than that just to cross town Charlotte.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 15,170 times
I love and miss Winston-Salem. Family still lives there. I have lived in at least7 large cities throughout the South and Winston-Salem has them all beat in my opinion. The whole city feels like a big neighborhood.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:34 PM

16 posts, read 32,474 times
Default looking for a place in Winston-Salem

check out the Clemmons and Lewisville areas.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
What IS it like? I also would like to find another place in NC that was a better fit for me. Looking for a smallish city with cultural stuff, historic style apts and houses, fairly liberal and cooler in the summer then it is here in the coastal plains. I too am a transplanted New Englander.
Ann, you really ought to check out W-S. Even though the community seems like it is fairly conservative, with the colleges and arts scene, there is a definitely a liberal presence and loads of "culture" for a city of its size. You would probably love the West End neighborhood, adjacent to downtown. Elm & McGee has posted a good "snapshot" of the city.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynlu View Post

Hello if you are moving to NC good for you NC is a great state. Winston Salem is a great city but i highly recommend you checking out Lewisville and Clemmons. These are two small cities that are on the outskirts of Winston Salem and are about 10 mins from downtown WS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point