Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM

14 posts, read 52,615 times

Advertisements

We just moved here and my family of five wanted to have a picnic at Country Park but I see where you cannot drive thru the park. Does anyone know of a park where we can just have a single picnic table and maybe a hiking trail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Define "drive through the park."

Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 AM

Default Picnic

Well I guess by "Drive Thru" I meant maybe park by some picnic tables and have a little picnic. Maybe I am remembering the state parks from my childhood. We ended up going to the Bog Garden and had a nice time then went to the Biccentennial Park across the street and noticed that they had about a half dozen tables there in the shade. We decided to leave our picnic at home since we seem to be clueless after only living here one week. My husband found a Haw River park that is about 35 minutes from our house. Anyone have any knowledge on it?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 AM

115 posts, read 179,178 times
You could try Bur-Mill Park. They have picnic areas. Many are sheltered with barbecues, but there are also big open spaces that I would imagine you could place your picnic blanket and chairs and enjoy the area. You can drive right up to the picnic areas and park your car.

I've heard it gets really crowded in summer, but I've never seen it so crowded that you can't find a parking spot (I've probably been lucky).

It's a nice park. Straight out 220 towards Summerfield. Turn right on Owl's Roost and the park is on your left.

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx?page=1161

Old 05-01-2012, 12:42 PM

138 posts, read 419,050 times
I don't know what part of Greensboro you are in so it may not be convenient for you, but our family goes to the Piedmont Environment Center pretty regularly. We typically go for a walk on the nature trails and eat at the benches overlooking the lake, but there are full tables up near the parking lot where you can eat before or after going for a walk.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:24 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
You may want to check out City Lake Park in Jamestown. A very nice park, for sure.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 PM

27 posts, read 61,488 times
Hagan Stone Park is a good one. Lots of trails, shelters for picnics, a couple of different lakes for fishing, and multiple playgrounds if you have young'uns about.

Head down 421 South toward Pleasant Garden and take a right on Hagan Stone Park Rd.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 AM

Wow, this city is filled with great parks. Lorieleanor, We went to Bur-Mill last week-end and it had everything we were looking for. Great place to throw the football around and the BIG Loop Trail was awesome and the lake so pretty. Thanks for the "heads up" on that one.
We live near Guilford College and our sons are going to attend GTCC in the future so City Lake Park is close and will be good to show the kids.Piedmont Enviroment center is only 10 miles from us I see, and Hagan Stone's web site says they have tent camping! We have all been saying how we would like to take that up again, it's been over 15 years since we have gone. This has all been very helpful guys, Thanks! I think I love this town.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
One more suggestion--Tanglewood Park in Clemmons, just west of Winston-Salem. It's a bit of a drive from Greensboro, but it's hands down the nicest recreation area in the Triad IMO. They offer horse riding, swimming, golf, tennis, fishing, mountain bike trails, picnic shelters, and lots more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point