Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:15 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times

Advertisements

Hi, i asked what cities i can make it on 25k in another forum. A lot of folks said the winston-salem area would be a good idea.

The basics

I'll likely move at the end of 08
At the worst i'll transfer there from DC with a $25k salary from DC or a $32k salary.
If i continue in school i'll consider Winston-Salem State and UNC Greensboro. But open to other inexpensive schools. (of course, i'll wait a yr to apply for in-state tuition)
I want a decent safe apt for $550 or less.
a good AG or pentacostal church.

What do yall suggest? Which would be better WS or High Point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM

well anyone?

Old 10-07-2007, 09:07 PM

14 posts, read 50,138 times
High Point is slightly "higher class" than Winston Salem.
The quality of service at restaurants, hotels, etc. seems slightly better as well.

Of course, they both have good & bad places to live.

For $550 a month, you wouldn't be hard pressed to find a descent small apartment. For that price, there are even homes available for rent (in the sub 1000 sq. ft. area)

You may want to even look into some of the surrounding smaller towns such as Kernersville, Belews Creek, Browns Summit, Stokesdale, or Walkertown.

Stokesdale & Walkertown would be the cheapest places to live.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReticentEnigma View Post
High Point is slightly "higher class" than Winston Salem.
The quality of service at restaurants, hotels, etc. seems slightly better as well.

Of course, they both have good & bad places to live.

For $550 a month, you wouldn't be hard pressed to find a descent small apartment. For that price, there are even homes available for rent (in the sub 1000 sq. ft. area)

You may want to even look into some of the surrounding smaller towns such as Kernersville, Belews Creek, Browns Summit, Stokesdale, or Walkertown.

Stokesdale & Walkertown would be the cheapest places to live.
thanks and i'll probably check into those small towns too. I gotta ask this: Are those smaller towns like the old Jim Crow south in any way?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:16 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,894,453 times
Default Ex-DC/VA

Dude, why are leaving cosmopolitan DC/NoVA for Jim Crow NC?
What can you get out an experience there? Come back to VA! LOL.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:22 PM

138 posts, read 419,401 times
Broadstone Village Apartments in High Point may suit you. There are a number of bad seeds there without a doubt, but for each horror story I've heard, I've also heard that it's a good place. My advice would be, wherever you look, start with a short rental agreement in case your building does have a bad seed in it.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:44 PM

14 posts, read 50,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395
I gotta ask this: Are those smaller towns like the old Jim Crow south in any way?

I've been all over NC & have never seen evidence of a Jim Crow south.

Parts of Virginia on the other hand.......

Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Dude, why are leaving cosmopolitan DC/NoVA for Jim Crow NC?
What can you get out an experience there? Come back to VA! LOL.
i've have basically gotten everything i can out of Virginia (I also lived in Hampton for awhile.) NC just offers a lot of what i need in a residence, just at a hell of a cheaper price than VA.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:26 PM

74 posts, read 100,810 times
High Point "classy"...what a joke....Winston-Salem, NC is the WEALTHIEST city in NC and SC per population...and I live in Charlotte.

High Point offers NOTHING....Winston-Salem offers a LARGE cultural experience for a city its size...museums, downtown arts district...very artsy fartsy......High POint is a JOKE!!!

The person who post that must live in High Point...cause they could not afford to live in Winston-Salem.....to bad...so sad...

Old 11-16-2007, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,441 times
I am from High Point and moved to NoVa for 10 years and swore I would never come back to NC. Well, here I am, back in High Point (my family lives here). I truly miss the NoVa/DC area because of the culture, things to do, and selection of resturants and shopping.

If you are in your 20s or 30s, you would probably enjoy Greensboro more than High Point or Winston Salem. Greensboro is growing and the Downtown area has been revitalized with Theatres, resturants, bars...more like some of the neighborhoods in NoVa.

There are lots of new companies coming to the GSO area as well and the airport area is growing too. High Point can be too small town and a big change if you are used to Alexandria. Winston is smaller than GSO and not as much growth. All three to close enough that you can easily go from one area to the other for entertainment or dining. Strange how many people here do not go to WS if they are in GSO or vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point