Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 9,601 times

Advertisements

Hi - I have a new job in Greensboro so we need to relocate from out of state. We have two preschool aged children; one of them will start kindergarten next year. I wonder if it will be possible to find a neighborhood like where we're coming from - with (1) strong public schools (not based only on test scores but also community feel, children at all levels are reached and supported, school-wide support for music and art programs, children given adequate time outdoors, etc); (2) a community feel (neighbors know each other, kids play outdoors, community events, etc); (3) is walkable (need not be urban, but would like to be able to safely walk to some things like the school, library, summer pool, playground, farmers market, out for ice cream or coffee, etc); and finally (4) accessible to bike or nature trails. We can spend up to $750,000 but prefer to stay closer to $500,000. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,963 times
Default Lots of neighborhoods in Greensboro like that!

I live in a neighborhood in Greensboro called Adams Farm on the Southwest side and it is a planned community with bike trail, pool, neighborhood school, etc. There are many small closed knit neighborhoods in the city. The Jamestown area has nice houses and nice local parks. A good realtor can help you with that. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2013, 05:04 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
Ditto what the above poster said. Exactly what I was thinking.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM

32 posts, read 82,017 times
I just moved to the area and same situation two kids 5 and 8 years old and I am so so disappointed in the Greensboro schools. you have two schools ONLY . Claxton and E.P Pearce elementary , and you will suffer in finding a house for sale or even rent within these two schools district. I may end up paying 2150 a month for rent just to get my kids to these two schools. Worse I have done all extended research and Greensboro general school system is way below the average. My kids currently enrolled in the 2nd best school system nation wide Katy ISD in Houston and I have no choice either pay very high rent 2150 and above or go with private schools, and I found many in Greensboro realize how bad the schools are in Greensboro and locals prefer private schools even with the high cost.
Because of bad schools , I even went further thinking of renting in Carey town for my family and rent something cheap in Greensboro for my work and go join my family on the weekends only.
Welcome to the club !!!!

Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 AM

58 posts, read 98,947 times
Check out Fisher Park, Irving Park, also some areas off Battleground like Westwood, Friendly Center, British Hills. The previous poster is being dramatic about schools...Brooks Global, General Greene, and Sternberger are all good elementary schools that come to mind. Welcome to Greensboro!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 AM

21 posts, read 29,887 times
I had just posted something similar to your post, and was wondering if you had found your perfect spot? We also have two children and are looking for EXACTLY what you mentioned.

Thanks! and Good luck with your move!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 PM

13 posts, read 70,777 times
Yep... Adams Farm is a good area. You will typically find that they houses costing more than 500,000 are not having a lot of 'kid action' and the ones in the more historic areas like battleground and irving park have older families (less 'kid action') . There is another neighborhood to the northeast side of Greensboro..I forget the name but they have a school, park area, etc as well. For the Greensboro area...if you're planning on spending big bucks then you're paying the premium to be 'left alone', and so you will be on the outskirts somewhere in Grandover or in a historic area......alone..... just my 2 cents

Old 07-14-2013, 12:04 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
If you love historic homes, check out the Fisher Park or Aycock Neighborhood. They are both located outside of downtown and connect with bike and walking trails. A downtown greenway which will loop around downtown is currently under construction as well. Part of it is open and I think you'll find some interesting features along the greenway.

http://downtowngreenway.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point