Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:55 AM

4 posts, read 10,470 times

Advertisements

I have lived in mt airy all my life and I am 34 years old. You could blame it on the drugs or people being poor ,crime is happenin everywhere even at the grocery stores. so Layne the grocery stores are'nt poor are they? however if they would stop taking our jobs overseas things might get better. I lived in the Flat Rock community I did not have no problems so what are you trying to say? and the bank that was robbed Thursday july the 10th that was located in the city. Crime is everywhere and knowone can not escape it. Franklin community their are drug dealers the neighbors located in franklin was robbed the girl was kidnapped you think you know mt. airy I do as well no place is safe to me.

Last edited by gogirl92; 07-11-2008 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: mistakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 33,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne13 View Post
I am 21 years old and I have lived in mt airy all my life. There is really nothing bad that happens here. I think that the main reason for the crime is drugs...mostly pot, but where mt airy is so small there is a place called brick city and this is where most all of this is goin on. Flat rock is pretty bad too! Every area has places that the poor live. If you are moving to mt airy i would tell u personally to stay away from flat rock and any streets near brick city if pot is a problem for u. there really is nothing else that happens here. You only hear of weed! But that is everywhere. I also want a clean, healthy, and safe environment for my family, so reckomend that if u are wanting to move her look for houses located in Pilot mtn, westfield, holly springs, bannertown, sheltontown (but dont get too close to flat rock), the city of mt airy is nice and the houses in the country club are beautiful and some are very affordable around 100,000 if that meets your means. Being that I am young, I know all the spots and areas that young people go and stuff, so U can ask me anything about an area and I will know. I wish this was something that we as family oriented people could get away from, but naturally there is rough people in all states and areas, you just have to pick the right area!!! If you want to stay near the city, like within a 5 to 10 mile range I first and formost would tell u the Holly Springs or Franklin community!!!! try this and see what cha think!! Hope this helps some

Your post is more then a little naive. I'm 25 and have lived in Mt. Airy almost all my life and can tell you that Flat Rock and Marijuana are not the cause of the problems in Mt. Airy. You can blame our declining economy and lack of job opportunities for the high property crime Mt. Airy experiences. A lot of the property crimes that occur are the thefts of catalytic converters off cars, copper wiring and piping, air conditioner units, hot water heaters and the like to be sold to scrap metal recyclers. The ever increasing Meth use is adding to the problem. I know car break-ins are increasing as well. There are few concentrated "problem" area in a town as small and as undeveloped as Mt. Airy, and the areas that do pose a threat are only all too obvious. If you drive through Brick City nothing bad is going to happen to you. Someone might walk up to your car and ask if you want some weed or maybe some crack but that's the extent of it. It's true that you have less then favorable areas like Paynetown, Greentown , Urbana and so on; but as small as this town is areas like that are almost always going to be in your backyard no matter what part of Surry County you live in.

Last edited by thesamesound; 08-29-2008 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: content edit

Old 02-05-2009, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,950 times
I am also 35 and grow up in Flat Rock my mom
Moved me and my brother to Flat Rock when I was
Only 3 years old she bought a house from Johnny Hanyes
An if any one knows this coummity knows Johnny Haynes
And he lived in that house till his family needed more room
Johnny Haneys and my mother and her brothers went to school
Together at Flat Rock school and if anyone remembers the Flat Rock School fire
I sure you do it happend in february 22, 1957
My uncle Frank Hensley Jr. and Johnny Haynes do remembers
That day what I am trying to say is that there is good and bad in any place you live at but my mother stills lives in that house and I visted her and my dad as much as I can an I love that little house that I grow up in

Last edited by dwc19721994; 02-05-2009 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Add more to it

Old 03-23-2010, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,293 times
Don't bother with the **** hole of Mount Airy...NO JOBS!!! If you do luck up and get a job, you're lucky to make $12 an hour. Actually $12 an hour will be on the high side.

I've lived here 35 years and can't get a damn job. Clean record (criminal and driving) no drugs, AAS degree in PC's. It's not what you know in this pos town, it's who you blow and I'm not blowing any of these tightwad bastards. I can't wait to leave. F 'em.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 AM

254 posts, read 924,971 times
Why so much crime in Mt. Airy? Three words: No Barney Fife.
Plus, Ernest T. Bass has been replaced by an army of meth addicts.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:33 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Well after reading these posts. I guess its safe to say Mt Airy is no longer Mayberry.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 PM

33 posts, read 114,530 times
HAHA im sorry but mt airy crime high i dont know about the site you seen that on but shure cant be right i mean it might be petty crime but not much major happens up there i know ive lived in the triad all my life and you would hear on the news if something bad happens, you do everyday about greensboro and ive also been to mt airy alot growing up and nice country living lifestyle around there

Old 04-29-2010, 03:51 AM

201 posts, read 594,030 times
I think all cities have a "bad" group of people, gangs and the like. Yes they victimize others instead of working for a living. They resort to selling drugs for a quick buck. Possibly one reason Mt Airy stats are high is because of number of crimes versus the size of the town? I don't know. I always have enjoyed visiting there, but I'm sure after dark there are bad areas just like big cities have.

Like someone else said job opportunities are not that great because it is a small town. So unless you have a job lined up not a smart idea to move there. Unless you are wanting to retire there and then I think you would probably be okay.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
Speaking of crime, here's irony for you: 'Andy Griffith Show' actress robbed in 'Mayberry' - My North State

Old 04-29-2010, 02:29 PM

273 posts, read 949,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Ha! I was just going to post that, but you beat me to it. Though, I don't think you can compare Mt. Airy to LA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point