Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,174 times

Advertisements

I live in Eden and have for 6 years I love it here and so does my family and I moved here from connecticut so I too had a shock at first I thought oh no but it did not take long to figure out that this place is wonderful to raise children in and I also got a wonderful deal on a repo house 2 acres and a 5 bed 3 bath house for 68 thousand you can not beat that. My children love it because it is close knit and our little town has grown in the last few years I do love the drive in movies that is a great family outing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 05:38 AM

3 posts, read 9,549 times
Default Ok Mr. "Big City" guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Eden may be quite a jolt for you. I live in High Point & frequent Greensboro. While these cities pale in comparison to where you have lived my point is the entire county of Rockingham is a jolt for me when I go there. If there are nice neighborhoods in Eden I haven't seen them. The entire county has been rocked by industry going overseas and IMHO the place depresses me. While there are nice people there to cross into Rockingham county is to go back in time 30 years. I can't get back to Guilford county fast enough. Don't mean to offend or frighten, just one person's opinion.
I grew up in Eden but I no longer live there, I live at the coast. I had to respond to this post because you obviously haven't researched your claims and your facts are all wrong.

Let's compare Eden to High Point with facts this time: Eden population: 15k / High Point population 100k. Eden is smaller but that isn't always bad.

The primary job market in Eden is still textiles at 20% and it appears that the High Point job market has really crashed with furniture dropping to 9% and still being the primary market.

Unemployment: Eden: 8.3% / High Point: 12.1%. Now which city did you say had been "rocked" by industry going overseas? Looks like the furniture capital has taken more of a beating than the textile capital. Get your facts straight if you're going to put them out for everyone to see.

Oh, don't forget the crime rate too. High Point's crime rate is 553 and the national average is 320. Seems a little high. May be because of the unemployment rate.

As for nice neighborhoods, there are several in Eden and in the surrounding areas if you knew where to look and the cost of housing is relatively inexpensive. There are still the old "mill hills" like I grew up on and those homes are older and dated but still solid homes unlike some of the newer homes being build today. The Central area of Eden and along Hwy 14 has some nice homes and some really nice residents like my parents who worked hard and moved off the mill hill into a better neighborhood.

I'm not trying to be difficult here but I hate it when people ask for advice and others chime in with their subjective opinions when they know very little about what they are talking about. I went to college and left Eden, not because Eden isn't a nice place but because I entered the military after college and have lived in Va, Ca, coastal NC and coastal SC since I left. I doubt I will go back to Eden to live because there isn't a lot of employment opportunities for me there but it's a nice place to raise a family and not some backwoods dead end as this gentleman portrays it.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 13,092 times
moving from ohio 2 children in elementary school eden sounds really nice looking foe any websites to look at rentals. Would like to rent a house around 750.00 a month are the any home health jobs there

Old 10-02-2010, 02:46 PM

9 posts, read 21,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resideinNC View Post
While Eden is considerably smaller than your previous home cities, you will be pleasantly surprised by the community. Compared to other areas there is low crime, low cost of living and easy access to amenities in the larger cities (Danville, VA is 20 min., Greensboro is 30 min., Martinsville, VA is 20 min., Winston-Salem 50 min., Raleigh is 90 min., and Charlotte is 2 hrs.) You can find homes in your price range and pretty much every religion is represented. Your twins may enjoy the year round school offered at Central Elem. in Eden. (They attend nine weeks are off for three and then have a six week summer break-allows for off season travel-savings and less crowded). Hope this is helpful
Long ago Eden was more the Garden of Eden but is now the Ghetto of Eden.
I made the mistake of buying there and could not fix the place quicker than it is being stripped by drug addict thieves.
No night Police presence at all except the communist check points on the highways which leaves the town wide open for the numerous low life littering the streets.
The only good thing about the town now is a few historic sites/ few old time settings/& it has a nice Drive in theatre.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:56 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Eden NC & surrounding area??

Originally there were three small communities, Leaksville, Spray, and Draper, they merged and formed "Eden", I suspect they were hoping the name change would draw immigrants. It is a somewhat depressed area, all, or almost all of the textiles and furniture making have moved to cheaper environments, labor and tax wise. The most common story goes " Eden was re-named by the same guy who named Iceland and Greenland."

Old 10-02-2010, 05:17 PM

If you have money to live in a better part of Eden.
If not the drug addicts are on the streets 24/7 stealing or looking for stuff to come back and steal between 12-5A.M. when there are NO police at all except on the main highways with the communist check points
Thieves know they have all night to do as they please.
I made the mistake of buying there and I will have to just dump the place since thieves and vandals will just keep coming,and the police are nothing more than an expensive burden.
If you add all the money you have to spend in security Eden is not inexpensive at all.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:00 PM

EPD Daily Blotter – October 4th 2010 | RCENO.com (http://www.rceno.com/RCENO/featured/epd-daily-blotter-october-4th-2010/ - broken link)

Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 PM

715 posts, read 1,670,150 times
Good grief, EdenStuck....all you do is complain about how "Eden is ghetto", "Eden is full of drugs", "People steal in Eden"....

Great...that happens in EVERY CITY IN AMERICA.

Don't blame the whole city of Eden because you didn't have the business sense to research the area before you bought a house.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 AM

13 posts, read 20,049 times
Im from the Northeast, and don't think many down here know good Italian food including pizza, the best down here is Carabbas and Little Caesars, the Greeks down here can't cook

Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlchase View Post
Im from the Northeast, and don't think many down here know good Italian food including pizza, the best down here is Carabbas and Little Caesars, the Greeks down here can't cook

Yeah, and I bet you don't know how to make biscuits and gravy. What's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point