Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 03:45 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times

Advertisements

Most of the suggestions so far have been focused on the outer- northwestern quandrant of Greensboro, but I have another suggestion closer to your wife's work, but still fairly accessible to Oak Ridge. I have a relative who lived out at Bridford Lake (right off Bridford Parkway which is about a mile off W. Wendover Avenue) about a year ago. These are very nice and definitely doable within your budget. They are what I would call condo-grade apartments (with a nice pool and hot tub) rather than cheap feeling apartments with thin walls, cheap carpets, bad windows, noisy acoustics, etc.. The worst issue was you had to watch for the geese poop around the lake, because there were lots of geese in the area. It was pet friendly, although they did have a "pet rent" fee.

It was very quiet and to be as close to I-73 as it is, you could not hear the highway or really hardly any other noise at all when you were inside, and even outside the topography helped to naturally insulate from the highway noise. It could have been just really good luck, but their neighbors were also all quiet and respectful, which is obviously of extreme importance when living in close quarters.

In the area you're looking in, between Oak Ridge and Jamestown, for the most part, some of the better apartments in the Greensboro area are clustered in much of that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 12:45 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Most of the suggestions so far have been focused on the outer- northwestern quandrant of Greensboro, but I have another suggestion closer to your wife's work, but still fairly accessible to Oak Ridge. I have a relative who lived out at Bridford Lake (right off Bridford Parkway which is about a mile off W. Wendover Avenue) about a year ago. These are very nice and definitely doable within your budget. They are what I would call condo-grade apartments (with a nice pool and hot tub) rather than cheap feeling apartments with thin walls, cheap carpets, bad windows, noisy acoustics, etc.. The worst issue was you had to watch for the geese poop around the lake, because there were lots of geese in the area. It was pet friendly, although they did have a "pet rent" fee.

It was very quiet and to be as close to I-73 as it is, you could not hear the highway or really hardly any other noise at all when you were inside, and even outside the topography helped to naturally insulate from the highway noise. It could have been just really good luck, but their neighbors were also all quiet and respectful, which is obviously of extreme importance when living in close quarters.

In the area you're looking in, between Oak Ridge and Jamestown, for the most part, some of the better apartments in the Greensboro area are clustered in much of that area.
Thank you for the suggestions Jowel. Would these apartments rent anything out for less than six months? Our realtor stressed to not wait more than a year to purchase our next home because of the rising interest rates. We already have some homes to look at, and feel pretty good about our house selling quickly, but we can't bank on being able to stay in our house until everything is finalized with a new house. So, there might be an overlap of a month or so that we would need to rent.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:25 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions Jowel. Would these apartments rent anything out for less than six months? Our realtor stressed to not wait more than a year to purchase our next home because of the rising interest rates. We already have some homes to look at, and feel pretty good about our house selling quickly, but we can't bank on being able to stay in our house until everything is finalized with a new house. So, there might be an overlap of a month or so that we would need to rent.
The person who I know was there for a year I believe. However, I do remember that they were in a similar situation with a house for sale, so their lease may have started out on a shorter term, and they ended up staying about a year. They may do a lease for less than six months, because one of their listed amenities is "short term" leases- I pulled this up on forrent.com and it says the lease terms are 2-12 months, assuming this is still the policy.

I also found out that the pet fee is a one time $300.

https://www.forrent.com/apartment-co...ile/1000006341

Pet-Friendly Apartments in Greensboro, NC | Amenities

Old 02-17-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The person who I know was there for a year I believe. However, I do remember that they were in a similar situation with a house for sale, so their lease may have started out on a shorter term, and they ended up staying about a year. They may do a lease for less than six months, because one of their listed amenities is "short term" leases- I pulled this up on forrent.com and it says the lease terms are 2-12 months, assuming this is still the policy.

I also found out that the pet fee is a one time $300.

https://www.forrent.com/apartment-co...ile/1000006341

Pet-Friendly Apartments in Greensboro, NC | Amenities
Awesome!!!! Thank you for researching this for me! I've never been in a position where I've had to sell a house and wonder what to do in between selling a house and buying another. When I moved from Martinsville, I already had a renter lined up for my house and basically just picked up and moved into the new house, so this is all new to me! This gives me a bit of relief since I'm a planner when it comes to things like this!

Old 02-18-2018, 05:49 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Awesome!!!! Thank you for researching this for me! I've never been in a position where I've had to sell a house and wonder what to do in between selling a house and buying another. When I moved from Martinsville, I already had a renter lined up for my house and basically just picked up and moved into the new house, so this is all new to me! This gives me a bit of relief since I'm a planner when it comes to things like this!
Theres no need to move twice. I sold and moved at least 10 times in my life, and I know dozens of people who have done the same, and I've never known anyone who moved into an apartment in between.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...buy-house.html

https://www.realtor.com/advice/buy/b...lling-a-house/
https://www.redfin.com/resources/buy-and-sell
https://twocents.lifehacker.com/how-...tim-1689554379
https://www.yourmortgage.com.au/home...hen-buy/79267/

Old 02-18-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Theres no need to move twice. I sold and moved at least 10 times in my life, and I know dozens of people who have done the same, and I've never known anyone who moved into an apartment in between.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...buy-house.html

https://www.realtor.com/advice/buy/b...lling-a-house/
https://www.redfin.com/resources/buy-and-sell
https://twocents.lifehacker.com/how-...tim-1689554379
https://www.yourmortgage.com.au/home...hen-buy/79267/

It's called being prepared in case it does happen. I don't really care how many links you want to post and what your experience was. Everybody's experience is different and everybody's situation is different. Now, if you're offering to help pay the mortgage of the home I'm putting up for sale for the sake of wanting to look almighty and be right, then go right ahead, I'll take the money.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:09 AM

223 posts, read 144,547 times
I can tell you one advantage of looking at Bridford Lake vs Lake Brandt apartment...My son use to live over in that area of Bridford Lake and He (just like you ) is a Redskin fan (we use to live in Northern Va) and he was able to see their games with an indoor antenna. Now it is harder to pickup the games...maybe being close to the airport have something to do with it...

Old 02-19-2018, 04:55 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
It's called being prepared in case it does happen. I don't really care how many links you want to post and what your experience was. Everybody's experience is different and everybody's situation is different. Now, if you're offering to help pay the mortgage of the home I'm putting up for sale for the sake of wanting to look almighty and be right, then go right ahead, I'll take the money.
You're welcome. Jeebus.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfromVA View Post
I can tell you one advantage of looking at Bridford Lake vs Lake Brandt apartment...My son use to live over in that area of Bridford Lake and He (just like you ) is a Redskin fan (we use to live in Northern Va) and he was able to see their games with an indoor antenna. Now it is harder to pickup the games...maybe being close to the airport have something to do with it...

I was able to pick up the games with an OTA antenna for about a season or two. However, this past season, no luck at all. Could have come from the changes that were recently made with the bandwidth buyouts, but it was frustrating.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You're welcome. Jeebus.
You get that response because you come off as very condescending in your posts. Maybe you don't mean to be, or you really think you're being helpful, but your posts always appear to be holier than thou, as if you are talking down to other posters, and quite frankly, it's offensive. And it's not just in this thread. It's in quite a few other threads in this NC forum. I realize people buy houses and sell houses at the same time quite frequently, and I know about contingency offers. But this thread is about doing my homework, thoroughly, and getting information on renting in case my wife and I have to rent. Neither one of us want to rent, but if that's what has to happen, then we want the best rental situation for us until we are in our next house. Derailing the thread with comments on, "Get ready for unwanted noise" or "I'll never rent again" does nothing to help. Obviously, there are others on this thread who have not had as bad experiences as you, and are offering helpful information according to what this thread is about.

We can create another thread specifically talking about how much people hate renting apartments (I have stories too), but this particular thread is not to be used for such discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point