Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 12,421 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I am a nursing student and in two years my wife and I are considering relocating to North Carolina. We visited Asheville and loved it, but have recently been turned off by housing prices and accounts that we have read over and over of how competitive the housing market is, in addition to a few other factors.

I have been doing some research and have come across Greensboro as an option. We may visit during spreak break coming up, so that will obviously give us a first impression. But I just thought I'd seek some general information about Greensboro that may be helpful for us. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

- Is Greensboro considered one of those booming cities, such as the ashevilles and austin, TX of the world? We are trying to stay away from cities that are growing at that rate for obvious reasons such as housing prices, etc.

- What's the economy like in Greensboro? Having read some not so good things about Asheville's economy, I'm wondering if Greensboro compares favorably in that department. My wife and I are both nursing majors and we're hoping that healthcare jobs are plentiful. I'll be researching BLS after I post this thread.

- How does the climate in Greensboro compare to Asheville's? How are the summers there? We visited Asheville in August and I can honestly say that I've never experienced more comfortable weather than those days we were in Asheville.

- What about outdoor activities? A very quick search showed that are plenty of waterparks, etc. Obviously Asheville wins out in this area, but we're huge outdoor enthusiasts (running, hiking, fishing, cross country skiing, etc) and this is always a consideration.

- Lastly, how does the housing market in Greensboro compare to Asheville's? Is it as competitive as I've read Asheville is?

Anyway, that about sums it up. I know that's alot of questions, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 08:09 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Comparing Greensboro with Asheville really is like comparing apples to oranges. Housing prices will likely be cheaper in Greensboro so thats a plus. Greensboro has a steady growth rate, not a rapid growth rate like Charlotte or Raleigh so housing prices will generally be pretty stable. There are many activities and a number of attractions in Greensboro. The city is known for its parks, greenways and gardens. But Greensboro also has "city life" attractions so its kind of a mix. You mentioned you are a nursing student. You won't have a problem at all finding a job in that sector. There are about two or three major healthcare systems in the area.

As far as the climate, about the same but im sure Asheville gets more snow in the winter. It gets a little colder in the higher elevations.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 12,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Comparing Greensboro with Asheville really is like comparing apples to oranges. Housing prices will likely be cheaper in Greensboro so thats a plus. Greensboro has a steady growth rate, not a rapid growth rate like Charlotte or Raleigh so housing prices will generally be pretty stable. There are many activities and a number of attractions in Greensboro. The city is known for its parks, greenways and gardens. But Greensboro also has "city life" attractions so its kind of a mix. You mentioned you are a nursing student. You won't have a problem at all finding a job in that sector. There are about two or three major healthcare systems in the area.

As far as the climate, about the same but im sure Asheville gets more snow in the winter. It gets a little colder in the higher elevations.
Thanks for your response. Your input has been helpful! Our next step is to visit and see what we think!

Lastly, a quick question that might be a little touchy. I have a childhood friend who lived in Wilmington for 10 years. She told me that as a transplant from a Northern state, she felt like she never quite fit in or was accepted because of that fact that she came from a Northern state, even though, as she put it, she's a "blonde white girl". The implication here is that it's hard to fit in in NC if you're from a northern state or and/or not white. This is the first time I've heard this about NC, so I'm wondering if it wasn't just the crowd she was running with or just her perception. Any thoughts? Yes, this does go a little deeper, so if you're not game to answer I get it..

Old 02-26-2018, 05:37 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
There are times that people move from "off" and complain about how hot is is (why, yes, it sure is) or how we don't have excellent bagels (it ain't a thing. Eat a biscuit). It's interesting that she thought she would be "accepted" because she's white, lol.
I think some people believe that moving south will be just like home only cheaper and warmer. That disappointment can cause dissatisfaction.

Greensboro doesn't have the influx of transplants that some cities do. I grew up here, left after high school and came back when my elderly parents needed me. I never thought I would be back, but I am. One of the best things, to my mind, is the lack of traffic. I lived in DC and Charleston. Yikes. Rush hour here is about 30 minutes.

Housing is reasonable. There are nice restaurants and shopping. The big difference, to me, between Asheville and Greensboro is the terrain. Asheville has mountains. Asheville is a tourist town. Greensboro is not.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:13 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
G'boro is significantly warmer and muggier than Asheville in the summer. When you visit, check out Winston-Salem too. Its only 25 miles from G'boro, and while its no Asheville, it has a significant arts and music scene that is somewhat like Asheville.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
G'boro is significantly warmer and muggier than Asheville in the summer. When you visit, check out Winston-Salem too. Its only 25 miles from G'boro, and while its no Asheville, it has a significant arts and music scene that is somewhat like Asheville.
You know what? After all those years in Charleston I don't even notice the humidity, lol!

Old 02-26-2018, 06:54 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoth2 View Post
Thanks for your response. Your input has been helpful! Our next step is to visit and see what we think!

Lastly, a quick question that might be a little touchy. I have a childhood friend who lived in Wilmington for 10 years. She told me that as a transplant from a Northern state, she felt like she never quite fit in or was accepted because of that fact that she came from a Northern state, even though, as she put it, she's a "blonde white girl". The implication here is that it's hard to fit in in NC if you're from a northern state or and/or not white. This is the first time I've heard this about NC, so I'm wondering if it wasn't just the crowd she was running with or just her perception. Any thoughts? Yes, this does go a little deeper, so if you're not game to answer I get it..
Well I’m pretty sure NC has more black people as percentage than any NE state.

But to answer your question maybe a lot depends on you

Greensboro and Wilmington you will feel the southern locals more than raleigh or Charlotte

I would say people who are on some orbit of having northern cultural stereotypes, accents, a little bit of culture and ethnicity I think an Italian Catholic may have some culture shock landing in Greensboro

Also lifestyle

But also your own sensitivity to interacting with natives and your own attitude. If you are generous and upbeat and open minded I wouldn’t expect problems

If you think it’s about politics Greensboro leans pretty liberal so I would t worry about that but there is a strong conservative element too

Also you will experience the Bible Belt a little more in different ways. If you think you can talk to evangelicals and not get upset you’ll be ok

I highly recommend Greensboro and I’m a NC native especially if you’re sensitive to col rat race and rapid growth. Greensboro has really good bones and is rapidly evovlving from the collapse of its furniture base

Old 02-26-2018, 06:55 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
My girlfriend and I just moved to Greensboro back in October, but we've visited Asheville several times over the past couple of years. We prefer Asheville, but we have really grown to love GSO so far. Only reason we didn't land in the former is that the job market I was specifically looking for was limited in the western NC area in comparison. Both cities have outdoor activities nearby, but Asheville's are much better of course. Both offer plenty of entertainment and nightlife, such as live music, bars, craft beer, and night clubs. Asheville is going to be more arts-focused, although GSO and neighboring Winston-Salem are growing in this as well.

As mentioned before, housing prices in Greensboro are going to be a lot more stable and easier to swallow. I can only speak for renting, but even living in an apartment downtown would be reasonable.

For the economy, Asheville seems a lot more touris-based, whereas Greensboro has a healthier mix of other industries. However, you shouldn't have a problem finding healthcare jobs in either, I don't think.

Climate-wise, we haven't been here long enough to experience summer. Greensboro sits at about 900ft in elevation vs Asheville's 2100ft, so there may be a little bit of a difference. Both are capable of getting some snow, for example in GSO we had one storm last month that dumped about 8 or so inches. However, that's probably pretty rare.

Lastly, when it comes to acceptance, Asheville is going to be more open and generally better about this. However, we've had no problem meeting friendly people here in GSO. To add the anecdote, we're an interracial couple and haven't really had any glaring issues with this as well.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:32 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
You know what? After all those years in Charleston I don't even notice the humidity, lol!
LOL, after Charleston, G'boro probably feels like Boone!

Old 02-26-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
LOL, after Charleston, G'boro probably feels like Boone!
You mean Saskachewan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point