Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area in the Triad has the worst/most hectic traffic?
Greensboro has the worst/most hectic traffic. 9 47.37%
Winston-Salem has the worst/most hectic traffic 9 47.37%
Someplace in the Triad other than Winston-Salem/Greensboro has the worst/most hectic traffic (please explain). 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:53 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to which areas of the Triad people think have the most traffic, and just seem busiest and the most hectic in general.

Okay, Greensboro and Winston-Salem aren't the Triangle or Charlotte, or LA (fortunately), and while a traffic report out of the Triangle or Charlotte says "Okay, we have a list of 15 big problems, so let's run down the list" and the Triad's rarely if ever says that, there are still some areas that feel just overall congested.

But out of the two cities (or somewhere else in the Triad), what area of the Triad seems the most stressful to navigate?

Last edited by Jowel; 06-03-2019 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 04:27 PM

275 posts, read 232,602 times
I think they're about the same. And I don't understand the constant need to compare and create competition between the 2 cities.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:55 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,422 times
Greensboro is slowly becoming worse and worse approaching wait times of Durham and “near” Raleigh; but nowhere in the same stratosphere as Charlotte...especially if you accidentally get stuck on the John beltway loop,independence blvd or tryon at rush hour... you’re screwed. Seriously, good luck.

As for Greensboro, back in 2010 for an example, the longest I would wait on battleground was 10-15 or 20 minutes at the most even during peak rush hour, now on average I wait anywhere between 25 to 40 minutes or even an hour(rarely)if it’s around 5pm, just to get to my house. in other highly dense areas it’s the same thing, usually between 3pm and 6pm.

I find Winston’s traffic a lot more lenient and easier to get around in, including high traffic areas compared to Greensboro, this includes within the same times as mentioned above, however Stratford,university and peters creek do accumulate a very high volume of traffic and that’s for sure but the wait times are no where near Greensboro, and that is a good thing. Though, I will give Greensboro credit for constructing the urban loop.

But this goes Especially for us29,i40 junction when two very high volume highways intersect.

But I think it’s rather expected as Greensboro has around roughly 50,000 more people, plus alot of workers from Virginia etc, since the VA state line is 15-20 minutes away.

Last edited by YinXyang; 06-03-2019 at 07:20 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
I think they're about the same. And I don't understand the constant need to compare and create competition between the 2 cities.
I was just curious how people perceive this issue- and it wasn't the intention to try and create competition.
I just don't see the question fitting into that context because there's not really a "winner" if one place seems busier or not.

I do understand your thought in general about trying to create competition between cities, but at least as far as NC is concerned, that occurs ad nauseam between the Triangle (especially Raleigh) versus Charlotte. It seems that sometimes the Triad gets left out some of the discussions, some of which are useful discussions till they get run into the ground.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:09 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
"But out of the two cities (or somewhere else in the Triad), what area of the Triad seems the most stressful to navigate?"
TRIad implies 3.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:09 PM

275 posts, read 232,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I was just curious how people perceive this issue- and it wasn't the intention to try and create competition.
I just don't see the question fitting into that context because there's not really a "winner" if one place seems busier or not.
Oh, somebody will claim one, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I do understand your thought in general about trying to create competition between cities, but at least as far as NC is concerned, that occurs ad nauseam between the Triangle (especially Raleigh) versus Charlotte. It seems that sometimes the Triad gets left out some of the discussions, some of which are useful discussions till they get run into the ground.
And that will quickly happen too.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:27 PM

113 posts, read 111,101 times
I'm not familiar enough with Winston to say anything about it, but Greensboro's traffic has gotten a lot worse due to all of the road projects going on. I swear everywhere I go there's some road widening/highway construction causing traffic jams, but I think once those projects are finally finished (urban loop especially) there won't be anywhere in the city more than 15 or so minutes away from anywhere else in the city.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"But out of the two cities (or somewhere else in the Triad), what area of the Triad seems the most stressful to navigate?"
TRIad implies 3.
I know. But Greensboro and Winston-Salem are the largest. That's why there was an "other" option. The third largest city know for the "Triad" name is High Point, so if someone wants to say High Point (or somewhere else in the surrounding Triad area) is the busiest and has the worst traffic, they certainly have the option to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
Oh, somebody will claim one, lol.

And that will quickly happen too.
Perhaps, but let's give it a try anyway. As the OP, I will say that having a "winner" was not the tone that I intended to set for the thread, and while I may not have control over what every person posts, sometimes you do just have to put a question out there and hope for the best, if it's something you're curious about, ya' know?

Old 06-03-2019, 07:42 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,057,095 times
As someone who has lived in the Washington DC and Virginia Beach areas, I laugh when I hear people around here talk about traffic.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:51 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
As someone who has lived in the Washington DC and Virginia Beach areas, I laugh when I hear people around here talk about traffic.
oh lord, please don't ever mention DC again, i have PTSD from my trip to maryland...

And i thought Charlotte was bad, DC is a collective nightmare at all times of the day, only time it kind of cleared up was 1-4 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point