Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 05:58 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Let me see if I understand you correctly. Any concerns are simply a matter of racism? I stand by MY post regarding your political leanings.
That is obviously not what I said and you know it.

Read the thread. There's a bit more in this here than "I have some concerns and/or questions." But you're hyperbolic take is a rather odd one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
I won't outright say this is all about race but I will say this, issues like this always expose people's true values. Even the most liberal of people turn into NIMBYS in a heartbeat when it's their neighborhood.

Everybody agrees we should have more affordable housing...until an affordable housing development is proposed near their neighborhood.

Everybody agrees we need more support for the homeless...until a shelter is proposed near their neighborhood.

We all know we need better roads/freeways/highways...

"not in my backyard!"

The problem is everywhere is somebody's backyard. Political blame game aside, the kids are in this country NOW and require humane housing. I have no objections here personally. The 800 jobs the HHS is projecting also wont' hurt either form a practical standpoint.
I totally agree with you. I just dont get the uproar here. It was a school for kids and it will continue in providing housing for kids. It's new function is truly not much different, the kids just got there through a much different path.

It's classic NIMBYism. But a lot of uproar goes much deeper and the politicians who "are just asking questions" are pressing all the right buttons to stoke those deeper fears.

There are valid questions sure. But this thread has yet to address them and I find it interesting that the person most offended by my racism comment is offended at a comment that wasn't directed at him (a poster with a history of using alternate user names, such as Mr Boston) but rather at a different poster (a poster with zero other posting history on CD outside of thus thread)

Old 06-29-2022, 06:41 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I totally agree with you. I just dont get the uproar here. It was a school for kids and it will continue in providing housing for kids. It's new function is truly not much different, the kids just got there through a much different path.

It's classic NIMBYism. But a lot of uproar goes much deeper and the politicians who "are just asking questions" are pressing all the right buttons to stoke those deeper fears.

There are valid questions sure. But this thread has yet to address them and I find it interesting that the person most offended by my racism comment is offended at a comment that wasn't directed at him (a poster with a history of using alternate user names, such as Mr Boston) but rather at a different poster (a poster with zero other posting history on CD outside of thus thread)
Have a look back at the original AHA mission statement. "Truly not much different"? I pay taxes in Greensboro and don't personally have a problem with the proposal. Let it see the light of day though, let the questions be asked and answered without sinister motivations being assigned to them. And yes, I find your race pandering offensive. Extremely so.

Last edited by TunedIn; 06-29-2022 at 06:49 PM..

Old 06-29-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Have a look back at the original AHA mission statement. "Truly not much different"? I pay taxes in Greensboro and don't personally have a problem with the proposal. Let it see the light of day though, let the questions be asked and answered without sinister motivations being assigned to them. And yes, I find your race pandering offensive. Extremely so.
Look around the early part of the thread. The concern from some is clearly much deeper than "Sounds OK, I just have some questions". In fact you're clearly walking backwards yourself.

If you're offended by the obvious issues relating this to race, I couldn't care less. Maybe you should dig deeper into why that offended you so much (or read the earlier portions of the thread).

Old 06-29-2022, 07:29 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Look around the early part of the thread. The concern from some is clearly much deeper than "Sounds OK, I just have some questions". In fact you're clearly walking backwards yourself.

If you're offended by the obvious issues relating this to race, I couldn't care less. Maybe you should dig deeper into why that offended you so much (or read the earlier portions of the thread).
Walking backwards how? From my very first post I've opined that valid arguments can be made either way, and there's room for discussion and questions. What am I saying differently now? You though, introduced race by yourself. Alone. Nobody else. "Obvious"? Apparently to you. And you've been banging the drum ever since. Have you ever considered that it's possible to be opposed to our current immigration policy without being a racist? Personally, I think we've already got enough folks in this country, how many more do we need of ANY race. Maybe by. "racism", you mean "common sense"?

Last edited by TunedIn; 06-29-2022 at 07:39 PM..

Old 06-29-2022, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Walking backwards how? From my very first post I've opined that valid arguments can be made either way, and there's room for discussion and questions. What am I saying differently now? You though, introduced race by yourself. Alone. Nobody else. "Obvious"? Apparently to you. And you've been banging the drum ever since. Have you ever considered that it's possible to be opposed to our current immigration policy without being a racist? Personally, I think we've already got enough folks in this country, how many more do we need of ANY race. Maybe by. "racism", you mean "common sense"?
You also immediately branded me a left winger which is absolutely absurd. What are the arguments against it other than NIMBYism? Maybe some concerns about the process which I'd even agree are fair. Most of the rest of the issues seem to dance around NIMBYism though (and yes, some of those who are outraged by kids living in this former school are indeed racist).

As for immigration, there are legitimate issues. Those issues far pre-date Biden, Trump, or even Obama...

Your last sentence on this past post is a little curious though. You were actually doing fairly well until then. I still find it really odd that you singled out that part of my 2nd (I think) post on this thread despite not having been part of the thread until that point... anyone with even a semblance of understanding of the topic could read through it.

Anyway, unless you (or someone else) have something of substance to say, I'm done with this thread. If you post something interesting, we can talk.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:39 AM

9 posts, read 7,438 times
https://www.judicialwatch.org/nc-migrant-shelter/

Per this article:
“The American Hebrew Academy has deep Chinese connections, according to records uncovered by Judicial Watch”

And,

“Last fall UAC shelters were rife with COVID-19 with one Texas county reporting a startling 107% increase in cases among underage migrant facilities within its boundaries.”

Just some more concerns to think about.

Old 07-05-2022, 01:21 PM

113 posts, read 110,929 times
Imagine being deathly afraid of children. lmao.

Old 07-05-2022, 01:24 PM

113 posts, read 110,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Boey View Post
https://www.judicialwatch.org/nc-migrant-shelter/

Per this article:
“The American Hebrew Academy has deep Chinese connections, according to records uncovered by Judicial Watch”

And,

“Last fall UAC shelters were rife with COVID-19 with one Texas county reporting a startling 107% increase in cases among underage migrant facilities within its boundaries.”

Just some more concerns to think about.
I'm not a racist, I'm just saying the Jews are in cahoots with the Chinese to spread disease in our communities. /sarcasm, obviously

Old 07-16-2022, 02:03 PM

9 posts, read 7,438 times
https://greensboro.com/news/local/am...0b2ba57c3.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point