Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 AM

42 posts, read 169,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
You are so welcome. Take a look around Greensboro because there are other neighborhoods with historic charm such as Sunset Hills and Irving Park. You wont be disappointed with Greensboro.

will do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 10:46 AM

thank you, are you moving to greensboro as well, mkearns? wow, palm beach you guys are so close.. but husband and i just had dinner at rocco's tacos on clematis last friday night! we do have great restaurants down here but i'm SICK to death of the heat down here (also no change of seasons) and i have to say some of the people (but i can say that b/c native floridian) can't wait to find a nice spot to raise the kiddies and call it "home" i've visited a friend in nc about 6 years ago..the cary area, also went to visit friends in chapel hill and winston-salem (well just really wake forest university) so i remember enough to know i'll like it and i'm very eager to move

Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 AM

101 posts, read 381,229 times
We are like you deciding between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. So far they both look equally great. Yea actually we currently live in Palm Beach Gardens. I wouldn't mind the heat so much if we actually got a break longer then a month out of the year. I too am a FL native and am ready for the change! I think the heat messes with people's brains down here.. We move the end of March and seriously can't wait!!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:24 PM

that will be around the time we are moving as well.. we haven't got an exact date yet but it will be within the next 6 months or less (probably less) you'll have to keep me posted on where you guys decide!

Old 07-25-2008, 06:31 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,162 times
I lived in GSO but worked in W-S. Living in Winston would be far superior to lving in the Boro. It is more historic and artsy feeling. Winston is called city of the arts, and it does indeed have a good many cool shops downtown. It has more tradition history. It is a much safer town than GSO. As far as restaurants go, it is pretty equal. As fa as more nightlife, GSO is only 30 minutes away. Nightlife in GSO is mediocre at best. Also, you are closer to Charlotte which you will be going to regularly for your entertainment fix.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:15 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,551,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I lived in GSO but worked in W-S. Living in Winston would be far superior to lving in the Boro. It is more historic and artsy feeling. Winston is called city of the arts, and it does indeed have a good many cool shops downtown. It has more tradition history. It is a much safer town than GSO. As far as restaurants go, it is pretty equal. As fa as more nightlife, GSO is only 30 minutes away. Nightlife in GSO is mediocre at best. Also, you are closer to Charlotte which you will be going to regularly for your entertainment fix.
I agree 100%.

Winston-Salem definately has more culture (home to the NC School of the Arts). You can't do anything in Greensboro that you can't do in W-S. Greensboro is a very nice city too..but not any nicer than Winston-Salem.

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 07-25-2008 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-27-2008, 01:19 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,580,513 times
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Greensboro and Winston are pretty equal when it comes to historic preservation. I know Old Salem comes to mind when you think of Winston. Winston is nice because it has nice rolling hills and there are clearer views of the mountains. Winston's downtown has a nice industrial urban vibe with buildings ripe for becoming downtown lofts. Winston is smaller than Greensboro but it has a bigger skyline than Greensboro. It is a more artsy community but Greensboro has an artsy vibe as well. Winston's city leaders have a much clearer vision for its future taking on bold ideas such as streetcars/trolley for its downtown and the Piedmont Triad Research Park. Greensboro has more parks, gardens and greenways and more shopping, recreation and entertainment options. Nightlife wise, Greensboro has the second best downtown nightlife scene in the state after Charlotte. The Triad's job Market is in the Greensboro area, primarily near PTI. With FedEx, RF Micro, Volvo and HondaJet, it appears that seems to be the case for the future. In Greensboro you are closer to the airport and the Amtrak station. I guess you can find pluses and advantages in just about anywhere though.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:01 AM

676 posts, read 3,075,479 times
If you move the Ardmore you will meet tons of neighbors and families with kids. I sometimes regret we didn't end up living there and most of the new friends I have met live in the Ardmore. I know some streets have potlucks and it is a great place to celebrate Halloween.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
If you move the Ardmore you will meet tons of neighbors and families with kids. I sometimes regret we didn't end up living there and most of the new friends I have met live in the Ardmore. I know some streets have potlucks and it is a great place to celebrate Halloween.

sounds wonderful! thank you for the information

Old 07-28-2008, 03:10 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,623 times
No offense gsoboi, but downtown nightlife in Greensboro is pretty lame IMHO. Sure there are a couple of classless meat markets for the 20 somethings (ie "N" Club). But what else is there? I'm not bashing Greensboro, I have loved it here for 30 years, but if it's 2nd to Charlotte then Charlotte must really be in the crapper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Nightlife wise, Greensboro has the second best downtown nightlife scene in the state after Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point