Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 PM

14 posts, read 18,963 times

Advertisements

Hi Becca, we have also had a terrible church struggle. People seem to already have established friends and, sadly, don't reach out to draw in new people. Even when we tried hard we could not "break in" and become a part of things. Our expectations for a church were similar - like expository "meaty" preaching. We were so discouraged. Even stopped attending church for a summer.

Finally, we decided to put all of our pre-conceived ideas/stereotypes ("that denomination is...") to the side and try a bigger variety of churches. We have found a church home at Covenant United Methodist in Greer. We have been there 1 and 1/2 years now. If you'd told me in the past that I'd be attending a united methodist church (umc), I would NOT have believed you! "That's a liberal mainline group." While the preaching is not expository, the messages do have some depth. We have heard the Gospel clearly. And this particular umc is definitely more conservative and evangelical. The service we attend (11am) has hymns. We have been able to assimilate and feel a part of things - which we could not accomplish any where else! It is great to know people and feel known. We are so relieved to finally have a church home!

I'm not necessarily promoting this church, but just suggesting you might want to be more broad in the churches you try. You never know!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 10:27 PM

7 posts, read 10,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurahomestay View Post
Hi Becca, we have also had a terrible church struggle. People seem to already have established friends and, sadly, don't reach out to draw in new people. Even when we tried hard we could not "break in" and become a part of things. Our expectations for a church were similar - like expository "meaty" preaching. We were so discouraged. Even stopped attending church for a summer.

Finally, we decided to put all of our pre-conceived ideas/stereotypes ("that denomination is...") to the side and try a bigger variety of churches. We have found a church home at Covenant United Methodist in Greer. We have been there 1 and 1/2 years now. If you'd told me in the past that I'd be attending a united methodist church (umc), I would NOT have believed you! "That's a liberal mainline group." While the preaching is not expository, the messages do have some depth. We have heard the Gospel clearly. And this particular umc is definitely more conservative and evangelical. The service we attend (11am) has hymns. We have been able to assimilate and feel a part of things - which we could not accomplish any where else! It is great to know people and feel known. We are so relieved to finally have a church home!

I'm not necessarily promoting this church, but just suggesting you might want to be more broad in the churches you try. You never know!!
If you don't mind my asking, what is the stance that Covenant UMC takes on current social issues? Are they all inclusive of all genders, races, and sexual orientations?

Old 06-28-2014, 09:51 AM

14 posts, read 18,963 times
"All genders"?? Not positive what you mean there. But they welcome men, women, and all races and nationalities. The UMC as a national denomination is heading towards a denominational split regarding homosexuality. But Covenant UMC in Greer is definitely conservative on social issues - opposed to gay marriage. They are also pro-life. I heard very pro-life sentiments from leadership before. Etc. As said, I would describe this Greer UMC as conservative and evangelical.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:12 PM

104 posts, read 234,637 times
Heritage church is a good one. We have visited everywhere too. I liked heritage a lot. Another you should consider is cornerstone baptist. Kind of at the corner of Batesville and rt 14. Not all ladies wear dresses and the music is definetly more traditional. Cornerstone is friendly and growing. Those both have evening services. Btw we attended rocky creek for a while until one Sunday morning the pastor was shouting (which I hate) and ripped off his belt and hit the pulpit with it. Last time I went there. We never got to know anyone but that was our own fault ...you really have to go to Sunday school or get into a smaller group and that's where you meet and get to know people. We now attend first north spartanburg. It's a great church. I just wish we could find one we like closer.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,950 times
I figured out a long time ago that trying to find the church I am looking for is frugal. When I finally turned to God for Him to place me where He wanted me to worship Him and serve others, I finally landed at Taylors First Baptist. He placed me there. I did not find it. It's been a joy to be a member at this wonderful church.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 10,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I figured out a long time ago that trying to find the church I am looking for is frugal. When I finally turned to God for Him to place me where He wanted me to worship Him and serve others, I finally landed at Taylors First Baptist. He placed me there. I did not find it. It's been a joy to be a member at this wonderful church.
My daughters attended their preschool program two years ago, and it was really wonderful. We went a few times, but I always felt it was too big.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:17 AM

175 posts, read 201,820 times
Our family has been struggling with this issue too.

Great thread.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 PM

27 posts, read 50,099 times
It seems that most of the people here are from the Eastside of Greenville so I don't know how much help I will be. We go to Brushy Creek Baptist in Easley. We have both tradition and contemporary services in the morning and tradition Sunday and Wednesday services. We also have a good Sunday school program and Bible study groups for men and women on Wednesday. We also have men's and children's basketball teams. Even in the off season the middle and high school students play once a week. The men also have open gym on Thursday evenings. It's good it have social interaction with other Christians as well.

We also have a lot of community outreach via our Sunday school classes and church wide. Some church wide things that we have done over the last few months include hosting dinners for emergency responders and service workers ("church people" often get a bad rap for tipping and being rude on Sunday and we wanted to clean up that image). We have also taken lunch/desserts to locally owned businesses and schools for the teachers. Over the summer we had a week when there were projects done such as spreading mulch at the elementary school, doing handy work for some of our elderly/disabled members, making goody bags for teachers, and more.

We also have a mothers morning out program and daycare. Our nursery workers are awesome and are put through background checks and training before being alone with the kids.

I hope this helps someone or at least gives you ideas to suggest in your own church. The contemporary service (The Other Service) sermons are available on iTunes if you want to listen.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:23 PM

143 posts, read 206,901 times
We are looking too. We attended a non-denominational Grace Based church in Florida- a little church that could. All people- no matter what the affiliation or sin- were welcome. There was a huge focus on community service, and walking the walk. Kindness and smiles mattered and demonstrated God's love.

We have church hopped for 3 years. At one point, my son joked that we should write a blog on the perks for being first time visitors: free parking, banana bread, coffee cups, bibles, lol. We landed at a nice church for a couple of months, but there was no "meat" in the sermon, so to speak. The pastor did not take the message and apply it to today's life.

We are still looking so if anyone has any positive recommendations, we will try anything once. We live in Simpsonville.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
Is Christian Heritage (the church you recently in a earlier portion of this thread) now called Resurrection Church? I followed the link that your provided originally and it was for something else now. When I googled, the site for Resurrection Church came up. Just wondering as my husband and I may be on the hunt for a new church soon and Resurrection seemed to fit what my husband is looking for in particular.

Thanks!
Sorry, for some reason I never saw this post and the odds that you are actually going to read it are slim and none. But answer your question, yes they are one and the same. There was a name change several years ago, but same great pastors, preaching, worship and kids program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area