Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 01:33 PM

12 posts, read 16,385 times

Advertisements

Hello to you in beautiful SC! My fiance and I are traveling to SC this weekend for a visit and a look at the area for relocation. He will be retired in Jan. from a postal position but we will work to supplement his pension. I am concerned about the unemployment rates I have researched in the Easley/Greenville areas and I'd like to know what's really going on there. We are fortunate to have his pension so we don't have to be too picky about what work we might find, he will be a retired postal manager (operations) and I am in accounting.

As he is a lifelong Ohioan, and I am a displaced westerner having lived most of my adult life in TX and CO, we like the smaller communities in SC. I miss the friendly southwestern way of life and can't wait to get south. The homes in these areas look lovely and I place a high importance on a lower crime rate. I enjoy a variety of restaurants (non-chain) and I spend much time on trails with our dogs. I think we would like the proximity to the mtns. and beaches.

Also very important is a conservative community, actually will be looking to attend a non-denominational church while we're there this weekend, we are currently booked to stay in Easley. Any suggestions on a church or restaurants in these areas? I think we'll do a drive Sat. through Greenville down into the Columbia area, over to N Augusta and then back up to get a feel for much of that part of the state.

Your input will be greatly appreciated! : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 01:47 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza11 View Post
Hello to you in beautiful SC! My fiance and I are traveling to SC this weekend for a visit and a look at the area for relocation. He will be retired in Jan. from a postal position but we will work to supplement his pension. I am concerned about the unemployment rates I have researched in the Easley/Greenville areas and I'd like to know what's really going on there. We are fortunate to have his pension so we don't have to be too picky about what work we might find, he will be a retired postal manager (operations) and I am in accounting.

As he is a lifelong Ohioan, and I am a displaced westerner having lived most of my adult life in TX and CO, we like the smaller communities in SC. I miss the friendly southwestern way of life and can't wait to get south. The homes in these areas look lovely and I place a high importance on a lower crime rate. I enjoy a variety of restaurants (non-chain) and I spend much time on trails with our dogs. I think we would like the proximity to the mtns. and beaches.

Also very important is a conservative community, actually will be looking to attend a non-denominational church while we're there this weekend, we are currently booked to stay in Easley. Any suggestions on a church or restaurants in these areas? I think we'll do a drive Sat. through Greenville down into the Columbia area, over to N Augusta and then back up to get a feel for much of that part of the state.

Your input will be greatly appreciated! : )
Hi, you guys sound a lot like us. We moved here from Los Angeles almost 4 years ago and love it. Here's a link to our church, it's a bit of a drive from Easley a family in our church lives there and comes twice a week.

Church Greer SC | Christian Heritage Church Greer

Old 10-17-2010, 03:42 PM

511 posts, read 1,522,877 times
Default Sc

You may want to drive North up to Travelers Rest to get closer to the mountains as well. I don't know that they will have a lot of non-chain restaurants, but Greenville is only about 15 minutes away. I live in Easley and I am not sure that we have a lot of non-chain restaurants either. We have a great Italian restaurant, Bella Vitas but you will need a reservation. It is small and owned by a local chef. There is also Serendipity in downtown Easley or Michael's Pizzeria. We also have a Capri's, Copper River & Outback. Good luck with your search. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:01 PM

696 posts, read 1,335,765 times
If you're going toward N Augusta, might I also recommend that you take a ride through Greenwood, then Anderson on your way back from Columbia and N Augusta? They are both smaller communities than Greenville with plenty of homestyle restaurants and the like in and between them. Home prices may be even better, and both have easy access to lakes of decent size. Anderson is roughly 45 minutes from Greenville, and Greenwood is a little over an hour. IMHO, both may be more conservative than Greenville.

Also, if you're going to be in Easley, don't neglect Pickens, Clemson, and Travelers Rest. All of those towns are easy access to the mountains.

My family has been here for just over a year, and so far we've found that Pickens county will more than likely offer us the most bang for the buck insofar as land and home prices go, with easy access to the lakes and mountains, as well as Greenville. That is, of course, just my opinion. You may find it more convenient to be closer to Greenville, and Greenville has a lot to offer.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:12 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsinphilly View Post
If you're going toward N Augusta, might I also recommend that you take a ride through Greenwood, then Anderson on your way back from Columbia and N Augusta? They are both smaller communities than Greenville with plenty of homestyle restaurants and the like in and between them. Home prices may be even better, and both have easy access to lakes of decent size. Anderson is roughly 45 minutes from Greenville, and Greenwood is a little over an hour. IMHO, both may be more conservative than Greenville.

Also, if you're going to be in Easley, don't neglect Pickens, Clemson, and Travelers Rest. All of those towns are easy access to the mountains.

My family has been here for just over a year, and so far we've found that Pickens county will more than likely offer us the most bang for the buck insofar as land and home prices go, with easy access to the lakes and mountains, as well as Greenville. That is, of course, just my opinion. You may find it more convenient to be closer to Greenville, and Greenville has a lot to offer.
As an addendum to this, I'd say that Anderson, while much smaller than Greenville, is outgrowing its "hick" image, and is now a nice area. Any & all mainstream retailers and restaurants can be found there, it has a lovely downtown with its own restaurants & pubs, and beautiful old neighborhoods. I'd imagine that real estate prices are a tick or two lower there as well. I visit there often and have friends that live in Anderson, and have heard of no crime problems in most areas you'd be likely to go to. Oh, BTW - Anderson has easy access to Lake Hartwell for water sports.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:32 PM

12 posts, read 16,385 times
Thank you all for your replies! Yes we are going to see quite a bit of SC this weekend and will definitely check out a few of the towns you've mentioned. Pickens, Greer, and Travelers Rest have very good stats, though Greenwood and Anderson have extremely high unemployment. So what does the job climate look like? We are in a very depressed area now but there are service jobs available. What about in your area?

Thanks sophiasmommy for the church info!

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 12:46 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 07:10 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza11 View Post
Thank you all for your replies! Yes we are going to see quite a bit of SC this weekend and will definitely check out a few of the towns you've mentioned. Pickens, Greer, and Travelers Rest have very good stats, though Greenwood and Anderson have extremely high unemployment. So what does the job climate look like? We are in a very depressed area now but there are service jobs available. What about in your area?

Thanks sophiasmommy for the church info!
Since everyone on here has conveniently avoided your question (no surprise on this forum) about jobs in the Greenville area I will go ahead and tell you what many on here are not honest enough to admit!

Being retired and relocating to SC is the best way to enjoy what it has to offer. Other than that the economy (pay scales, opportunities etc.) there are very disapppointing. During this recession there were 3-4 states that were hit hard with unemployment.....SC was one of them and held 3rd place for quite some time. Some will get on here and try to convince you that the Greenville area is a utopia that was spared the wrath of the recession...complete nonsense! Experienced a lay off and then unemployment while living in Greenville.....saw the lines at the unemployment office and they were stretching out the doors and into the parking lot.

As far as Greenwood goes.....it is a lot smaller than Greenville.....and I can imagine that the unemployment there is even worse than the Greenville area. Keep in mind that while people on here will boast Greenville having Michelin, BMW, Lockheed Martin and other large companies it is still not a major city and does not have as many jobs as a major city has....that is a fact, experienced first hand and not just my opinion. By the way.....I still own a home in Greenville.....so I visit throughout the year.....have seen no major progress in spite of the constant announcements on this forum about new companies heading there.

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 12:46 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 07:54 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Since everyone on here has conveniently avoided your question (no surprise on this forum) about jobs in the Greenville area I will go ahead and tell you what many on here are not honest enough to admit!

Being retired and relocating to SC is the best way to enjoy what it has to offer. Other than that the economy (pay scales, opportunities etc.) there are very disapppointing. During this recession there were 3-4 states that were hit hard with unemployment.....SC was one of them and held 3rd place for quite some time. Some will get on here and try to convince you that the Greenville area is a utopia that was spared the wrath of the recession...complete nonsense! Experienced a lay off and then unemployment while living in Greenville.....saw the lines at the unemployment office and they were stretching out the doors and into the parking lot.

As far as Greenwood goes.....it is a lot smaller than Greenville.....and I can imagine that the unemployment there is even worse than the Greenville area. Keep in mind that while people on here will boast Greenville having Michelin, BMW, Lockheed Martin and other large companies it is still not a major city and does not have as many jobs as a major city has....that is a fact, experienced first hand and not just my opinion. By the way.....I still own a home in Greenville.....so I visit throughout the year.....have seen no major progress in spite of the constant announcements on this forum about new companies heading there.
@Eliza11, you'll have to learn to take this poster's comments with a grain of salt. This person sprinkles enough facts in to make it sound realistic, but they have an obvious ax to grind. Just take that into account...

Quite a few area employers have had job fairs in the entire Upstate region of late. Most of those have been for manufacturing jobs. There are other job openings, but it depends on your field of work. I don't think there's anywhere where jobs are plentiful in all fields & there is low unemployment these days, but this area is poised for great growth once the economy turns, personal & corporate financial situations become more stable and more businesses decide that it's safe to spend money on new employees.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 PM

511 posts, read 1,522,877 times
Default jobs

I don't know what kind of salary you are looking for but their have been some administrative positions open at Greenville Hospital & St. Francis hospital in the last week. I have also seeen a position for a receptonist at an attorney's office. I know it's not accounting but just thought I would let you know.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:47 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
You might want to take swing through Aiken, say for a late lunch. Nice small city with some great folks. Retirees from all over the place.

The economy here was bad for a period, and seems to have stabilized. There's demand for some workers, right now, more than others. Quite a few manufacturers are doing well, in fact most customers I've visited with lately have offered me jobs Construction is in bad shape. Banking, finance, real estate, and other industries have been hammered.

Good luck. There are a lot of jobs coming this way within the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area