Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:55 AM

116 posts, read 272,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
....even if you find a job don't rush into purchasing a home...spend the first 2 years renting an apartment while you decide whether or not you like Greenville enough to plant roots and stay there for the long haul. This way if you get there and don't like it you will not have to worry about the headaches of selling a home. In other words as someone said to me once...."date the area before you marry it"!

Good luck...
I, too, am considering Greenville area. I have visited once and really liked what I saw. I plan on returning again this summer for a longer visit.

I have strongly considered this issue of whether to rent for a while or just buy in the best location I can afford. My reason against renting, is that if you are not working and are relying on your savings, you are just throwing money down the well in rental fees. What you have afterward is less money and maybe a little more knowledge of the area.

However, if you take a shot and learn as much as you can about the area before hand, you can make reasonable assumptions about where to live and buy a house as soon as you can. Saved rent money can go against a house payment, perhaps allowing you to buy more. Additional advantage would be that you would be settled down, can start to make friends, find a church and other organizations to be involved in, and you would have all your "stuff". Living in an apartment you would feel like it was temporary and you wouldn't necessarily feel like you really belonged.

I believe that participating in this forum can give one good insight into the area. Area residents who participate seem generally very excited about where they live and want to share that excitement. I have also found them to be very helpful in answering questions.

That's my 2 cents on the issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 09:56 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,549,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherOne View Post
I, too, am considering Greenville area. I have visited once and really liked what I saw. I plan on returning again this summer for a longer visit.

I have strongly considered this issue of whether to rent for a while or just buy in the best location I can afford. My reason against renting, is that if you are not working and are relying on your savings, you are just throwing money down the well in rental fees. What you have afterward is less money and maybe a little more knowledge of the area.

However, if you take a shot and learn as much as you can about the area before hand, you can make reasonable assumptions about where to live and buy a house as soon as you can. Saved rent money can go against a house payment, perhaps allowing you to buy more. Additional advantage would be that you would be settled down, can start to make friends, find a church and other organizations to be involved in, and you would have all your "stuff". Living in an apartment you would feel like it was temporary and you wouldn't necessarily feel like you really belonged.

I believe that participating in this forum can give one good insight into the area. Area residents who participate seem generally very excited about where they live and want to share that excitement. I have also found them to be very helpful in answering questions.

Moving anywhere without a job and depending on savings in my opinion is never a good idea.....doing so is asking for disaster. No one can
predict how long it will take to find a job especially in today's economy.

One could very easily find their savings wiped out and end up in financial ruin. Visits and research on an area can only go but so far.....it takes living in an area for a while to really get a feel for it. There are no guarantees that just because you liked the area while visiting that you will like the area once you live there.

Just because someone lives in an apartment does not mean that they cannot make friends, find a church and settle into the community.....there are a lot of people living in apartments in Greenville who are very active in the community. Would much rather pay rent on an apartment and have the option of just packing up and leaving if I do not like the area.....then rushing to buy a house and ending up in a situation where if things don't work out in Greenville now I am stuck with a house that is not selling. I am paying mortgage, property taxes, insurance for the house I still own in Greenville and I live in NYC.....very expensive lesson! Why? Buyers market, a lot of homes on the market and house did not sell right away.

Great to still have the house as a place to stay for vacation.....but a headache that could have been avoided had I waited to see how things were going to play themselves out. We hope for the best in life, but things do not always work the way we planned.

Enthusiastic forum posters are great but Greenville is not for everyone.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 04-11-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsr View Post
I know people on this thread get down on you but that's some real sound advice. Thanks. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
I appreciate your kindness. They are wasting their time.....they have been on my ignore list for a long time and I don't bother to read their posts! Another bit of sound advice while you are considering moving. Difference of opinion is not respected there.

If you need any other info, feel free to send me a private message.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 04-11-2011 at 10:14 AM..

Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,844,961 times
Quote:

I rented a home(not an apartment), became involved in many things and made many friends before I purchased a home, and I have many friends in the area who don't own property here. I guess its to each his own.
You are right about one thing though, if you have the time to invest and really look into the area, and you know what you are getting into, then by all means I see no reason that you wouldn't purchase a home right away.
I had a two week visit to the area my first time, and was staying closer to Atlanta with family, so I wasn't 100% on what neighborhoods I wanted to be in/near, and just wasn't sure how long I would be living here. I think that is the case with many people who move to the area, especially if they are moving from a great distance.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,994 times
The problem in today's economy is that it's very hard to get hired until you are a local, but then you take the risk of moving to a new city and not finding a job. I read a lot of applications, and don't bother with the ones from out-of-state; there are simply too many qualified applicants locally available, and I can talk to them face-to-face, right away. I'm speaking of FL, which is much harder hit than many other areas. I think that Greenville will be one of the first areas to recover and start booming again, but it's still a gamble.

That being said- I'm going to be building in the Upstate soon, and then I'll need to find a job. I'm not afraid in the slightest- I won't have a mortgage, I have a number of skills, and Ill take pretty much anything.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:52 PM

116 posts, read 272,994 times
Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Moving anywhere without a job and depending on savings in my opinion is never a good idea.....doing so is asking for disaster..
I guess you didn't consider that I could be retired and don't need a job! Definite benefit, I think....

Old 04-11-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I guess you didn't consider that I could be retired and don't need a job! Definite benefit, I think....
Guess you did not remember what you mentioned in your post....I simply responded to the scenario you presented. If you are retired, want to take a chance then go for it. But being retired still does not guarantee that you will like the area for long term living...all retirement does is put you in a position where finding a job is not needed.

Whether a person is retired or looking for a job I still stand by my original advice. Date Greenville before you marry it! There are a lot of things that go into deciding whether you like a place or not. At the end of the day either you will decide to listen to the advice given by others or you won't....maybe things will work out great, maybe they won't.

Good luck....

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 04-11-2011 at 03:48 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM

32 posts, read 74,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I work for a shipping company, and my wife is a psychologist.
I've been self employed in the airfreight trucking business for the last 26 years. Not sure if I want to keep driving or go for a traffic manager type position. If you have any leads for me I would surely appreciate them. Hope I'm not being to forward. Thanks.......

Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsr View Post
I've been self employed in the airfreight trucking business for the last 26 years. Not sure if I want to keep driving or go for a traffic manager type position. If you have any leads for me I would surely appreciate them. Hope I'm not being to forward. Thanks.......
I know that Fed Ex Ground and another carrier or two have terminals in the area. Sorry, but I can't think of specific names at the moment. Walgreen's has a huge distribution center just south of Greenville in Anderson county, and Walmart has one off I-385 in Laurens county as well.

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:11 AM

32 posts, read 74,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I know that Fed Ex Ground and another carrier or two have terminals in the area. Sorry, but I can't think of specific names at the moment. Walgreen's has a huge distribution center just south of Greenville in Anderson county, and Walmart has one off I-385 in Laurens county as well.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area