Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 06:30 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times

Advertisements

Cool aerial footage: Aerial Promo - Greenville, South Carolina on Vimeo

Old 07-28-2012, 03:25 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Great shots of the downtown area.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:00 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Well, I will say this: walking down that block on Main sure is different than it used to be. As of now, I really don't care for it. It's dark and sterile. Hopefully the sterile part will change as they keep building and put on the final touches, but the dark part won't change. As it is now, it feels like you are walking into a business district as you enter that block from the south. My inclination is to turn around and head back south. Hopefully whatever they put into the bottom floors will help change that perception.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 AM

374 posts, read 834,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Well, I will say this: walking down that block on Main sure is different than it used to be. As of now, I really don't care for it. It's dark and sterile. Hopefully the sterile part will change as they keep building and put on the final touches, but the dark part won't change. As it is now, it feels like you are walking into a business district as you enter that block from the south. My inclination is to turn around and head back south. Hopefully whatever they put into the bottom floors will help change that perception.
Have to agree witcha....

Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
I'm gonna have to disagree. Sorry Art123. The ground level retail/restaurant space will make it feel like the rest of Main Street with that pedestrian feel once it's all completed. At least hopefully it will. The hundreds of new jobs along with students from Clemson University will give it a big boost downtown. Can't forget about the Piazza Bergamo and Laurens Street renovations also. In my opinion, it beats the heck out of a couple ugly and vacant buildings just sitting there do nothing for the local economy.

Last edited by g-man430; 07-30-2012 at 09:57 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 AM

Once the lower level glass gets installed...it should tie everything in quite nicely. hehe

Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree. In my opinion, it beats the heck out of a couple ugly and vacant buildings just sitting there do nothing for the local economy.
Short lived memory of our illustrious history of downtown main street, that is today.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
I understand what Art123 is saying. He is referring to the aesthetic or atmospheric character pedestrians sense (perhaps subconsciously) while strolling along that section of Main Street. Obviously the benefits of such a sizable complex of offices and retail shops will outweigh the former condition of that property, but the atmospheric character of that block is dramatically changing. The buzz of pedestrian activity will always remain, but the warm afternoon sunlight softened by the canopy of leaves and branches overhead is diminishing with each new floor of concrete. It is creating a new atmospheric character along that stretch of Main Street — one that feels larger and more business-oriented, but with less warmth, openness and natural light. It isn't necessarily negative. In fact, the addition of new businesses, shops, and students will be a significant improvement over the previous condition of that property.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:50 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I understand what Art123 is saying. He is referring to the aesthetic or atmospheric character pedestrians sense (perhaps subconsciously) while strolling along that section of Main Street. Obviously the benefits of such a sizable complex of offices and retail shops will outweigh the former condition of that property, but the atmospheric character of that block is dramatically changing. The buzz of pedestrian activity will always remain, but the warm afternoon sunlight softened by the canopy of leaves and branches overhead is diminishing with each new floor of concrete. It is creating a new atmospheric character along that stretch of Main Street — one that feels larger and more business-oriented, but with less warmth, openness and natural light. It isn't necessarily negative. In fact, the addition of new businesses, shops, and students will be a significant improvement over the previous condition of that property.
I say there's room/a place for ALL of it in a bustling, growing, vibrant city center. Let's not box ourselves into one "look". I love the variety, even if I'd change certain details!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:22 PM

It's been difficult to tell over the years what the downtown area has tried to project or identify itself as? But yet, all the diversity still gives me goose bumps and butterflies in my stomach. >sarcasm off<

Last edited by itsallaboutyou; 07-30-2012 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: ........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area