Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:43 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
It doesn't bolster your case when the photo is from 2009.
Agreed. Using that same photo ad nauseum doesn't help her case either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM

298 posts, read 687,233 times
If I recall correctly that tired old photo was taken on the day of a jobs fair at that office as well.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
If I recall correctly that tired old photo was taken on the day of a jobs fair at that office as well.
Sorry but it was taken on a regular day....there was no job fair. My neighbor is unemployed, was there that day and he complained to me about having to wait 4 hours at the unemployment office.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 PM

298 posts, read 687,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Sorry but it was taken on a regular day....there was no job fair. My neighbor is unemployed, was there that day and he complained to me about having to wait 4 hours at the unemployment office.

Umm yeah ... that's right it was just a regular day at the unemployment office. Unemployment offices do regular business on job fair days as well. I do hope your neighbor took advantage of those job opportunites since they were already there anyway.

Bottom line is this .... 2009 was a long time ago with respect to Greenville area employment. That picture is not a fair representation of the current jobs market. Granted, it is not yet 'Morning in America', but so much better than 2009. You will admit that will you not? Nevermind ... I know your answer.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 07-14-2011 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Crackofdawn wrote, "One of them just quit her job and found another job within 2 weeks - and these aren't low paying jobs. These are engineers, IT people, Teachers, and Nurses." Which is to say ... nationwide job seekers with education are in much better shape than those who have no skills. There is no reason I'm aware of why this shouldn't be as true of SC as of the country as a whole. See:

Unemployment and Education unemployment-education
Many of the cities nationwide are much larger than Greenville and they have been established a lot longer so of course job seekers in other areas around the nation would be in much better shape...does not necessarily mean the same for Greenville. South Carolina is historically a low wage state! So the person was lucky and supposedly found work within 2 weeks! Does that now mean that the Washington Post article regarding the 10% unemployment rate in most of SC is a lie?

Just because someone says that their relative found work quickly does not (mean they are telling the truth) mean that everyone who relocates there will have the same experience. If everyone was finding work fast and easy in Greenville the unemployment rate would not be (according to the Washington Post) at 10%.

I don't just go by news articles or hearsay....I actually took a look at the Greenville unemployment office for myself to see how many people were there. People lie....pictures do not lie!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-14-2011 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
Umm yeah ... that's right it was just a regular day at the unemployment office.

Unemployment offices do regular business on job fair days as well. Hope you neighbor took advantage of those job opportunites since they were already there anyway.
Whether it was a job fair day or not. The FACT remains that for that many people to be standing on a line that was stretching into the parking lot at the UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE they are UNEMPLOYED!

I'll play along though...reasons they could have been on line :

• There for an eligibility appointment (they usually call people in every 3 months)
  • There for a job fair
  • There to discuss a problem with their unemployment benefits.
  • There waiting to use computers to conduct a job search.
Your mentioning 2009 unemployment rate in Greenville....the Washington Post article stating the rate is at 10% was this month! Bottom line is that they were there because they are UNEMPLOYED! People lie....pictures don't! I have plenty of other pictures of the Greenville unemployment lines....please do not make me post them. I refuse to argue back and forth with people who insist on burying their heads in the sand. Believe what you want but just don't deceive people who are looking for honest feedback about the area.

I understand the Washington Post is just picking on South Carolina and making up things that are not true.

South Carolina voters torn between values, economy

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-14-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 03:00 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
This is the unemployment office today on Pendleton. 3:30pm. Now give it a rest and find something better to do. The key is education and being skilled.
Attached Thumbnails
The Truth about Greenville, SC-2011-07-14_15-18-21_116-1.jpg  

Old 07-14-2011, 03:12 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
This is the unemployment office today on Pendleton. 3:30pm. Now give it a rest and find something better to do. The key is education and being skilled.
Cool photo redcliffe!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
This is the unemployment office today on Pendleton. 3:30pm.
That settles it then! Since photos are 'authoritative proof', that means the recession is officially over in Greenville!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
That settles it then! Since photos are 'authoritative proof', that means the recession is officially over in Greenville!

They say a picture is worth a thousand words! And I have more than one picture of the lines coming out of the Greenville unemployment office. People are not just there because they have nothing else better to do with their time you know.

South Carolina voters torn between values, economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area